Old 02 April 2016, 08:41   #41

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> What will the neighbours make of it?

Well if they've put up with the naked sunbathing I'm sure they'll be OK with Trem fitting!

Good luck with the job... and remember... measure twice... drill once!
Old 02 April 2016, 23:26   #42

Town: Fulham
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
Trem wheels with button and silkaflex - everywhere

Well, one thing is for certain - Silkaflex goes EVERYWHERE. Latex gloves next time. I can't get it off hands with anything. Sunday lunch out today with - black handed man and two whole toilet roles to wipe everything.

I used Fenlander's tips locating the button first, then using the small level to ensure they were vertical. The tubes just about clear, hopefully they will with 4-5 people! I used I think, a 5mm drill and silkaflex in the holes and re-sealed the button holes with it, and the navigation light pole holes.

A junior hacksaw cut off the extra bolts and I will have to order some proper size end caps. I see what is needed, some sort of house insulation or massive pad to protect the fitting. I will find something close to Fenlander's heavy duty gloves, for now I am using three towels.

I had to let out the starboard button a little as it was too tight following an earlier transom wheel incident that slightly ate away at the wood.
I also used some wood filler covered by silkaflex to seal scuffs on the transom.

I lost a wheel pin but will easily get another. I forgot to take a final picture, but here are two with one in place. It is quite a push to lock them down when in the upright position but then again, they are secure when smashing against the waves.

Thanks for your tips. I am not sure about posh London skips or naked London garden sunbathing though, can't relate to either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0384[1].jpg
Views:	202
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	111722   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0385[1].jpg
Views:	299
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	111723  
Old 02 April 2016, 23:27   #43

Town: Fulham
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
Oh yes, the serial number plate was destroyed on one side, so I will have to fix it again another day. The clamp idea from Fenlander was very helpful.
Old 03 April 2016, 11:44   #44

No job with Sikaflex is complete without it bonded to your hands, gloves, trousers, tea mug, garage door handle, mobile phone etc...

Hope you like the wheels in use.
Old 06 April 2016, 13:34   #45

Wonder wipes available I most decent DIY outlets make short work of cleaning Sikaflex ☺
Old 06 April 2016, 13:58   #46

Wondering if the Trem wheels / tyre clears the end of a typical Sib tube cone.

Or do they have to be mounted so that the wheel passes up and down the inside edge of the tube?

Thinking of a future project - I like the Trem concept and would like to mount something similar to a Highfield 380.

Was hoping that they could be mounted as close to the tube as possible - with the leg just clearing the tube as the wheel /tyre swinging out past the end of the tube, so that when stowed in the up position the wheel is above the tube.

Doubt this is feasible just wondering the approximate swing diameter of the trem when fitted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1459951112606.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	111797  
Old 06 April 2016, 15:05   #47

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Excess sikaflex can be removed with alcohol while it is still wet.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2016, 17:19   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Excess sikaflex can be removed with alcohol while it is still wet.
Yep.
It takes a blow torch and an angle grinder to shift it once it's set tho😂
Old 06 April 2016, 19:54   #49

Trem wheels will pass beside the cone where it tapers on most SIB fitments so they can be fitted quite wide apart. Remember though if you want the HD type with bottom button fitments the degree you can push them outwards will depend on finding a place to drill the transom for the buttons.

Also they don't have the longest of legs so the tyre is quite close to the tube in the down position and the further you push the legs outwards the greater diameter of tube that will end up close to the tyre.
Old 08 April 2016, 08:05   #50

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
When drilling holes in transom (or most things TBH!) always start with a small pilot hole and drill the final size from one side halfway and then the other side the same to prevent splitting out, especially with ply - or clamp a piece of sacrificial wood hard against the exit side.

Tie a piece of Paracord between the two pins and unlatch/latch one at a time, that way you can't lose them in Davy Jones'...

These type of fixings are useful when attaching stuff to the transom as they are really good for clipping small dry bags or ropes to:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/bombard...tml#post683786
Old 08 April 2016, 09:33   #51

I think I might try those D-clips you use on my Trems... FREE P&P* 6mm 8mm 10mm 11mm Shaft Locking Pipe Pins D Clip Trailer Tractor | eBay

I've always used the clevis pin type as supplied with them when new (as in post #36) and it's so esy to lose the R-clips or the pins as you can't easily put a safety cord on them.
Old 08 April 2016, 12:16   #52

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I think I might try those D-clips you use on my Trems... FREE P&P* 6mm 8mm 10mm 11mm Shaft Locking Pipe Pins D Clip Trailer Tractor | eBay

I've always used the clevis pin type as supplied with them when new (as in post #36) and it's so esy to lose the R-clips or the pins as you can't easily put a safety cord on them.
I use those for transom wheels too - very cheap and secure but only usable in certain ways: