Old 13 September 2015, 16:26   #21

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
My bolts didnt go through the plate but its close and the nut just catches the edge.
Old 17 September 2015, 23:03   #22

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Just to tidy this thread up...

I've fitted the Trems in spare moments over the past couple of days.

Decided I would relocate the serial number and data plates to avoid them being drilled through or part obscured. What a pig to get them off. The serial number plate was glued and pinned so pulled paint off down to the timber which needed the edges feathering and then repainting.

The stainless pins that held both plates on were impossible to get out so I ended up pulling the soft alloy plates off the pins. This was achieved with surprisingly little damage to the plate's securing holes.

I punched the pin heads just below the timber face and filled the small depressions. Rather than just making good locally this cemented a thought I'd had... to give the whole transom two coats of satin black as the Zodiac paint is a bit thin.

I'm happy to admit to being a bit OCD about getting stuff right where it probably doesn't matter that much...so to get the legs upright I set the boat up with a level on the transom then used a shorter vertical level against the legs. I used a large G-clamp to hold the brackets in position until they were spot on and then drilled through (8mm) the bolt holes while they were held in place.

Of course the height was pre-determined by the lugs that engage on the bottom buttons that are pre-fitted on the Aerotec from new. It was just that they were upright and that the bottom button was fully engaged that needed checking.

Note from the image of the wheel swinging up in the next post it only just clears the cone... a short cone at that. This is of course determined by the existing fitting buttons which would be a hassle to move so I was pleased it just cleared.

My wheel set were missing their plastic backing to the brackets but I cut replacements from a PVC mat of the correct thickness (a token bit of red!).

After tightening the fixing nuts I cut the excess thread off, filed smooth and painted with a few coats of a car silver touch up stick so there wasn't a hint of a rough edge to rub on the air floor when deflated & packed.

Even so I've just ordered these nut plastic caps which I've used before to be totally sure there is a smooth end presented to the air floor when rolled up...

10 pack of M8 Nylon Plastic Hex Nut Cover Cap BLACK | eBay

As these wheels were a used set they were also missing some of their washers that stop the plastic rim rubbing on the axle tube R-clip and split pins so sourced some M30 stainless ones on Ebay. Also bought some larger stronger axle end R-clips as I've lost one at the slipway before causing much inconvenience. Finally bought a spare pair of clevis pins as losing one of these on a day out is a pain too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Serial no plate damage.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	108724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Data plate off.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	108725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Holes drilled.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	108726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket spacer.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	108727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trial fit.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	108728  

Old 17 September 2015, 23:08   #23

Finished job... these Trem HDs are my favourite transom wheel overall having tried most types.

One of the advantages of their wide set position being determined by the existing buttons is in the flipped up position they are well clear of the outboard when turning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Inner transon comp.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	108729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Transom outer comp.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	108730   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS fittings.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	108731  
Old 18 September 2015, 03:45   #24

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Nice job

The only problem I've had with mine is pushing them down when they're on in the water so I had a 4" stub of stainless tube welded onto each leg. They sit above the transom in the up position and don't foul the engine when down, makes them a lot easier to use.Click image for larger version

Name:	Flywheel 001.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	108732

Name:	Flywheel 003.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	108733
Old 18 September 2015, 05:11   #25

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
I use my foot to push the wheel down under the water and get it near then use my hand on the leg to locate the button, never had a problem.
Old 18 September 2015, 08:40   #26

I remember your mod Paddlers.

This is the second set of Trems I've had... the first set were fitted to three different SIBs until I "gave" them away with one I sold a few weeks ago. Each time I've found there is a difference in the firmness with which they click into the up/down position. I found this could be adjusted by putting washers behind the bottom button and/or bending the cheeks of the bracket.

The boat's outside on the lawn and it's raining now but when it stops I'll be out doing that last fettle because at the moment these are just a bit too tight.

I only ever put these up or down at the slipway so like Steve use my foot if they're tight so get on OK but there's no doubt those neat extra handles could be useful.
Old 18 September 2015, 11:00   #27

Mine were a right bugger as I tend to leave them down until I've loaded the family then motor out to deeper water as where we go is a shallow beach. Found myself pushing them down with a paddle.
I didn't want to remove the bottom bolt and even the kids find these manageable plus gives a bit more control when you're putting them down to motor back in. Easy to miss the stud.
Yours looks a nice tidy job Fenlander .
Old 23 September 2015, 23:30   #28

Just to round off the nut caps arrived... they finish the job off nicely and present a totally smooth face to the air floor when packed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fixings inner.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	108861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fixings inner capped.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	108862  
Old 26 March 2016, 01:57   #29

Town: Fulham
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
Hi Fenlander, I have been looking through your posts and advice on these wheels as I am boltless on one wheel , end up using a hammer to free the wheels and it is the most time consuming and stressful part of the launch and landing. I am inspired to buy a pair of Trem HD that utilise the button on the Aerotec 380 as you have. Can you send me a link to this particular set of wheels utilising the button? What material do you use to protect the transom when folding up?
Old 26 March 2016, 01:59   #30

Finally, what sort of resin and paint do you use when you have drilled the holes? I have holes that need waterproofing from the light pole and will need to waterproof these as well.
Old 26 March 2016, 02:05   #31

Do you think a 25HP motor would clear the floor with the prop when down with the wheels?
Old 26 March 2016, 09:37   #32

Think you're asking what I put over the brackets to stop them damaging the tubes when folding the boat? Over the years using Trems I've used different things and often a car wash sponge. But the best thing I've settled with is a pair of large leather palm workman's gloves one on each bracket. They just happened to be in the garage one day I was about to fold it up and I've stuck using them.

Do you mean filling abandoned holes? Office888 posted on here the "pro" way to do it which is to fit a tight wooden plug with waterproof glue. Cut off excess and skim fill if needed then paint.

In truth for a daily inflate SIB and a DIY job any decent car type filler is good enough. Then I used an exterior satin black brush on paint.

If you meant waterproofing holes with bolts through then use Sikaflex marine grade sealant.

I can't find a good link to a dealer selling Trems at a decent price but they are the most expensive model on this page...

Trem Launching Wheels | Gael Force Marine

Beware the middle price set look almost identical but lack the lugs to engage with the buttons so have far less strength.

Note they are sold by Honda dealers to fit the non air-floor Honwaves so that might be another source of them.
Old 26 March 2016, 12:28   #33

Thanks Fenlander. I have ordered the Silkaflex sealant to proof the holes with screws in them for my light pole and button I had to replace.

I have finally gone for it and bought the Trem wheels with button, heavy duty found this deal with Easter discount £132 Stainless Steel Dinghy Launching Wheels - Dinghy Wheels and Trolleys - Discount Marine Chandlery and Sailing Equipment. Bargain Boat Spares and Clothing
Old 26 March 2016, 12:32   #34

Worth every penny!
Old 26 March 2016, 12:34   #35

That's a decent deal... free Easter egg in the box too when they arrive if you're lucky.
Old 26 March 2016, 22:05   #36

Just thought I'd upload a pic of the bracket protecting gloves while I had it unrolled for washing down after yesterday's outing.

Also note the leg to bracket pins... buy a spare pair (generic pins of the right size) straight away and carry them with you so losing the originals when it happens won't be such a problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Transom wheel bracket protection.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	111592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Transom wheel pins.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	111593  
Old 26 March 2016, 22:12   #37

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Those gloves are a good idea. Another may be to nick a bit of solid house insulation from a building site skip, and push it on, should stay in place quite easily, and lots of it in skips where a loft conversion is being done
Old 27 March 2016, 09:14   #38

>>> lots of it in skips where a loft conversion is being done

Yes and Firstrib is in the right area for those London skips with their posh contents.
Old 28 March 2016, 14:24   #39

Thank you
Old 02 April 2016, 08:00   #40

Trems have arrived - and the ebay caps, Silkaflex and pain recommended by Fenlander. Today's the day for the Trem fixing in my small back yard. What will the neighbours make of it?