Old 04 November 2014, 11:44   #1

Town: ipswich
Make: Gemini Cat 2 Exsurfr
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard 30hp
Transom Replacement

Hi People, I have bought a Achilles 3.5, well that's what it measures, the guys at Achilles tell me its a custom job and pre-dates their descriptions, so it defy s description. The transom is 1" and suffers from a bit of rot, the question is to replace or repair, personally I would prefer to replace, but the work involved appears a bit daunting.
Can any one please advise on the difficulty in removing and fitting a new one, I will visit the Gods of Epoxy latter in the week to see if the original can be salvaged and to what degree it could be trusted.

PS this type of construction is new to me, I have the basics ( thanks to your article Nugent ) it looks more like an operation than a repair and it only cost $350 so its not worth geting the professionals in.
Thanks for your thoughts, links and advice

PSS yes photos will come
Old 04 November 2014, 18:16   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
If the old one can be used as a pattern, and you have access to a router with a follower bit, making a new transom is not that big of a deal. Marine plywood is not cheap though.
Old 04 November 2014, 20:57   #3

Thanks Peter, I have one, it's just that I never attempted this before, the shops are hesitant or just say throw it away and we'll look after you.
Putting it back in the same spot, seems tricky as one has to remove the old glue as I understand. Is there a method for retaining the position after a thorough clean. Ball point pens leave a mark I read, I would of thought they would clean off.
I can think of a couple of ways, but what's best practice?
Thanks again Peter, hopefully this question will be thrown around the forum further.

Ps worrying over nothing it will be faded. A perfect foot print.
I read a modified heat gun is the tool for the removal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1415137786110.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	100635  
Old 04 November 2014, 21:14   #4

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
A heat gun is the tool of choice, but there is no need for modification. They get hot enough to melt the boat already.

Post up more photos showing the dry rotted area. Big and clear pictures that can be blown up would help the most. Hard to tell from the one pic, but it doesn't look that bad?? Is the fabric separating from the transom anywhere?
Old 04 November 2014, 22:03   #5

Thanks Peter, I will do this, the bloke I bought it had removed the majority of the affected area and epoxied a part of a thicker transom, it was damaged from the thumb screws that started it. The integrity of the repair is about as good as his description. There is still a soft spot, I will take it down to a company called Bote Cote for there opinion, they manufacture epoxy and sell just about everything to do with wooden marine. Photos will follow.