Old 25 October 2011, 18:20   #1

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: N/a
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF9.9A
Transom clamp (Paddles)

I am a totally new to boating and have just purchased a used 2006 Mercury 6hp outboard. Unfortunately the previous owner snapped off the two transom clamp paddle handles, (they had seized up during storage) leaving just the two threaded screws. I contacted my local mercury agent who informed me to my surprise that a replacement clamp screw kit would cost me around £117.00.
Is there anywhere that I could perhaps purchase these parts second hand?
I would really appreciate any helpful advice from you guys.
Old 25 October 2011, 19:49   #2

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
That's crazy. The handles are a part which can be ordered on their own for a start. They cost about £18. The thumbscrews are about the same price max.

Not suggesting it's the case here but do the toggles move freely now ?

I only ask as I buy a lot of motors and one thing to look out for is broken handles. Why ? As people often lock them together on the transom to prevent the motor simply being removed and lifted off. As a result they get snapped as ally breaks before a stainless steel padlock!!!

If the toggles are free moving it would suggest they may not have been snapped during "storage" - if they were it would be the actual rivet which would break not the lockable insert on the outer edges of the handle.

Sorry if that sounds a bit accusing, in my line of work you have to be.

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 25 October 2011, 21:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
That's crazy. The handles are a part which can be ordered on their own for a start. They cost about £18. The thumbscrews are about the same price max.

Not suggesting it's the case here but do the toggles move freely now ?

I only ask as I buy a lot of motors and one thing to look out for is broken handles. Why ? As people often lock them together on the transom to prevent the motor simply being removed and lifted off. As a result they get snapped as ally breaks before a stainless steel padlock!!!

If the toggles are free moving it would suggest they may not have been snapped during "storage" - if they were it would be the actual rivet which would break not the lockable insert on the outer edges of the handle.

Sorry if that sounds a bit accusing, in my line of work you have to be.

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Thank you for your comments Peter, and just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, to show what I still have, I have marked in red on the attachment one of the remaining threaded components of the transom clamps. The paddle handles and retaining pins are the parts I need. The threaded parts are no longer seized and they screw back and forth freely. Please tell me where I can buy the missing parts. I have searched the internet without any luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Picture.pdf (134.4 KB, 558 views)
Old 25 October 2011, 21:34   #4

Hello

I don't see the attachments but yes that's what I'm talking about. The thumbscrews (handles) can b bought along with the rear washer spreading plates. I don't see both of them breaking by the threads being seized on the actual clamps. If the clamps seize they normally break.

I'd speak to another Merc dealer who can get the parts you need and not rob you at the same time!

Old 27 October 2011, 20:30   #5

Town: oregon
Make: zodiac
Engine: M40C
If no success finding the parts quickly, it seems that a couple could be fabricated fairly easily from aluminum bar stock.
Old 27 October 2011, 20:36   #6

Town: oregon
Make: zodiac
Engine: M40C
Have you checked ebay?
Old 27 October 2011, 22:24   #7

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Engine: opti 150
never underestimate the power of a pack of beer and a visit to a local but small engineering company ....
Old 27 October 2011, 22:47   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I'm with Peter on this one... storage causing clamp threads to seize on a 5yr old motor!!
Old 27 October 2011, 23:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander
I'm with Peter on this one... storage causing clamp threads to seize on a 5yr old motor!!
That's my point, I'd agree the thread could seize but in my experience that's what would snap not the handle unless they were being used as leverage in which case the threads would still be seized until they were fixed which I'd imagine you'd replace them and the handles together not do the threads and leave the broken handles.

Do you have a pic of the broken handles, I'm betting it's just the loops which are broken. What's your location. It's not Lyme Regis or maylandsea by any chance ?

Old 28 October 2011, 11:03   #10

Perhaps I am not making myself clear, maybe the previous owner lied about how he broke off the handles, I'm not concerned with that, All I have left is the threaded portion that is attached to the outboard with the dished washer on the end. I do not have the broken missing parts. I just want to know where I can purchase 2 swivel handles and two retaining pins at a reasonable price. ( But thank you all for trying to help). I have just spoken with another Mercury dealer in Frinton on Sea, (I live near Colchester in Essex) and he came up with a similar price of £106.00 for the full clamp kit and confirmed that "Mercury" do not sell the swivel handles and retaining pins separately. So, if you can, please tell me where I can buy these for around £18.00.
And yes, I have been googling and looking on ebay for these items.
The only picture I can attach is a pdf, see post #3.
Old 28 October 2011, 11:12   #11

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Perhaps I am not making myself clear, maybe the previous owner lied about how he broke off the handles.

Perhaps Peter and I aren't making ourselves clear either. It is very very unlikely clamp threads on an outboard this new would ever seize, they might go a bit tight but seizing to the degree that the swivel handles would snap is so so unlikely.

The most likely reason is that the handles were locked together and they were broken when the outboard was stolen from its previous owner.
Old 28 October 2011, 11:22   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>Perhaps I am not making myself clear, maybe the previous owner lied about how he broke off the handles.

Perhaps Peter and I aren't making ourselves clear either. It is very very unlikely clamp threads on an outboard this new would ever seize, they might go a bit tight but seizing to the degree that the swivel handles would snap is so so unlikely.

The most likely reason is that the handles were locked together and they were broken when the outboard was stolen from its previous owner.
That is certainly a possibility but its also possible the owner had locked them and lost the keys, or used a cheap padlock which siezed, or the owner intentionally removed the toggles to stop anyone tampering with them...

Assuming the motor is not nicked and the parts are available separately then blackdog marine (posts on here as Turbodiesel) can probably help.
Old 28 October 2011, 11:46   #13

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
here's a schematic with the retail prices, 10% should be available I'd have thought from a friendly dealer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6 hp.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	63558  
Old 28 October 2011, 11:56   #14

2 stroke 6hp parts are cheaper, maybe the'y fit?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6 2s.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	63559  
Old 28 October 2011, 14:34   #15

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
A couple of 3 inch bits of box section steel with 2 of the 4 sides cut out at one end, 2 bolts and nylock nuts , 5 minutes work and hew presto .....not 'pretty' but will work ?

Cost next to nothing ....

or find a local OB place and see what have laying about for a few quid/beers. I know of at least 2 places local to me I'd go to if I needed something like this.....and I bet theyd have something .....
Old 28 October 2011, 14:44   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
2 stroke 6hp parts are cheaper, maybe the'y fit?
Hi Dirt Diggler, thanks for your reply.
I have already tried Ribs Marine (where you possibly got your info from) Although your pic shows the price of £44.36, if you can open my attachment you will see that the price doubles. when (on their website) you click on "view basket" it costs £88.72. With Tax and delivery the actual total cost is £118.46. Unbelievable!!!!!

I have now tried a third Mercury dealer in Essex who also confirmed that to buy the clamp levers/handles/thumbscrews what ever they are called, Mercury will only sell you a complete kit consisting of the levers, pins and threaded bolt for approx £117.00. The two washers are an extra £18.56. (plus tax). Does anyone know of an outboard scrap yard?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Picture.pdf (134.4 KB, 103 views)
Old 28 October 2011, 16:09   #17

Make: Bombard Aerotec
Engine: Mariner 25hp
Buy a couple of these from eBay. Likely to be the same thread but if not knock the pins out and fit them to your screws. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...id=62688453269
Old 28 October 2011, 16:16   #18

How about these, for a Mariner 6hp
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mariner.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	63562  
Old 29 October 2011, 10:57   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
How about these, for a Mariner 6hp
Thanks Dirk Diggler, once I have exhausted my search, I might well try these.