Old 12 September 2015, 13:49   #1

Town: Poole
Make: Honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda outboard 15hp
Transducer mount idea......

So I have just mounted my transducer and wonder if you more experienced pros out there have any idea if this will work?

[/IMG]
Old 12 September 2015, 14:30   #2

Town: Oop North
As long as the transducer is sercurely fastened and is in the water it should be fine. Get on the water then let us know.
Old 12 September 2015, 15:23   #3

Will give it a whirl on Monday
Old 16 September 2015, 09:26   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Is that the Garmin 45DV unit you have? I'm really close to pushing the buy button on one so would be interested to hear what you think of it??
Old 16 September 2015, 10:03   #5

Yeah its the 45DV, which I bought from Gael Marine (best price I could find). Although they are a total rip off for the transducer so recommend force 4 for that.

Quite pleased with the unit and it certainly feels robust, but I have not had much chance to use it in anger yet tbh. We did venture out Monday and the transducer seemed to be working ok but the weather was truly terrible so didn't get much chance to test it all out.

Just so you know you don't get auto guidance with the maps supplied on the unit (not a major feature but best to know up front), as they only activate this feature with the vision maps. However the supplied maps are very detailed and the vision maps are readily available.
Old 16 September 2015, 10:40   #6

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
My opinion is it may work ok at low speed but I doubt it will hold bottom at speed as to much air will pass under it.

Im able to hold bottom easily at 40kmh even in 300m of water with mine positioned in the recommended location.

Hope it works, keep us informed on how it goes.

Jon
Old 16 September 2015, 10:42   #7

OK thanks for that info. I don't need the auto-guidance but useful to know. It's just I've been used to paper charts all my life (bigger boats) and then with sibbing my current small screen Garmin handheld. But I'm finding the current Garmin just too small now I use reading glasses and I've done some tests on mapping content with a smartphone having a screen the same size as the 45V which seems easier.

I don't need the depth facility but it's a useful extra so even if I didn't fit immediately I'd probably buy a transducer now as a bundle.

On an Aerotec I'm thinking I might need to have the transducer on a rod that can be put down a little under the transom when under way.

>>>with mine positioned in the recommended location.

What is that location... I've only ever had them on displacement boats before?
Old 16 September 2015, 12:30   #8

Unfortunately I can't get my transducer anywhere near the transom unfortunately because the motor sits too close.

I've got it right on the base of the tube level with the motor so hoping it works.... As long as the boat isnt jumping out too high �� lol I can only get about 20knots flat out so probably not an issue?

The screen size is good tbh, I was using navionics on my phone but it killed the battery and didn't have anyway t mount it. 45dv seems a good size screen which is really bright for a fair(ish) price .... Now if only I had an arrotec to go with it
Old 17 September 2015, 04:45   #9

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Fenlander have you looked at adjustable transducer brackets, they come in all sorts of styles and price starting from this sort which is about 5 quid. RWB Sliding Transducer Bracket Small - Marine Electronics - Boating - MOTackle

They are easy to just adjust up and down when you need them.

Jon
Old 17 September 2015, 08:36   #10

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
if it were me i would make a bracket that fitted into the transom wheel location more secure.
stainless steel stuff from seascrew, fittings,pipe, bolts the lot.

cheers
Old 17 September 2015, 09:07   #11

Liking all the ideas here

I deflate my boat every time so need something easy to remove. I like the idea of using the actual transom wheel as a mount but still hoping my 99p strap works as it's lots easier and quicker.
Old 17 September 2015, 10:27   #12

RIBase
i think you will get a lot of interference where it is as air passes around the tube area ideal location should be on the transom only possible with a bracket.hope your idea works though as its simple & cheep.
Old 17 September 2015, 11:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
i think you will get a lot of interference where it is as air passes around the tube area ideal location should be on the transom only possible with a bracket.hope your idea works though as its simple & cheep.
Hi Jeff,

I'm new to this whole scene so sorry if its a stupid question but how do I tell if I'm getting interference? Would this show as surface clutter or would I lose signal totally?
Old 17 September 2015, 12:15   #14

Like Nemesis I daily inflate through the year apart from 1/2wks on holiday where it stays set up. So transducer mount needs to be an easy thing to remove that doesn't leave any sharp bracket on the transom to damage the fabric as it's packed.

I've ordered a Garmin 45DV with the GT20 DownVu transducer... delivery tomorrow.
Old 17 September 2015, 12:20   #15

RIBase
yes i think a lot of surface clutter and not a true bottom sounding both in depth and view of the seabed i would give it a try though before you go to any expense at trolling you might get away with it but if you look at the installation guide you got i think it explains the best position.
looking at your set up using the transom wheel bracket would be ideal make it the same so it can be removed easy when you pack away
you can just see mine starboard side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new boat 002.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	108708  
Old 17 September 2015, 14:16   #16

Nice Fenlander, id be interested to hear your thoughts on it as a more experienced sea hand.

A very nice looking boat Jeff with a good setup by the look of it.

I need a proper day out to test my transducer but the weather is not playing ball at the moment. It seemed to be working ok on Monday but the high winds, heavy rain and serious waves prevented any speed tests.

I did consider the transom wheel bracket idea but the prop swings past that point in sharp turns so it would need to be fitted very carefully to avoid getting minced. It also means having to launch the boat on the wheels then fiddle about swapping to the transducer and storing the wheels in the boat. And honestly im a lazy sod.................
Old 17 September 2015, 16:26   #17

RIBase
I understand your right I can get messy blow up and go that's the whole point of your type of boat, some kind of pocket glued on to the trim tab that you just push the transducer into perhaps? The honwave is good boat and value for money hope you get sorted, have a look at fishing web sites /forums might be some ideas on them.

Cheers
Old 17 September 2015, 16:40   #18

>>> some kind of pocket glued on to the trim tab that you just push the transducer into perhaps?

Now that's a really good idea. Until this year when I bought my old Aerotec to refurb I had no experience of patches/gluing etc but now I realise with a little care you can make a totally pro looking job.

There are loads of PVC backed fittings available for SIBs and I'm sure one of them could form the basis of a mount.

There are loads of possibilities on this page...

Ron Hale Marine Ltd - Inflatable Boat Spares and Accessories
Old 17 September 2015, 16:50   #19

>>> some kind of pocket glued on to the trim tab that you just push the transducer into perhaps?

I second that as a great idea! Will look at that if my current bodge doesn't pan out
Old 17 September 2015, 17:12   #20

RIBase
Guys

What about two oar retainers glued on top of the trim tab that way it's in a more protected position they would be side by side with a tube though and retained, with the transducer hung on the end could be even set up with the kick up bracket the transducer came with surmising it was transom mount then if you do hit on beaching it's out the way preventing damage as you have it now is ok but it has nowhere to go if you hit something and the cable is in a vulnerable position under the tube.
Good project this and suspect the aero boys will be watching with interest.

Cheers