Old 10 March 2009, 11:34   #1

Town: Bristol/Devon
Boat name: Nella
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 130
Trailing Quicksilver 380 XSHD

Just about to take new bunked trailer down to my boat in Devon, question is: Is the hull/structure strong enough or well enough supported by a bunked trailer to trail with the engine on the transom?

If the answer to above is Yes - anyone any thoughts on ways of supporting the engine (20hp Yam) kicked up during trailing? It seems to me that the shallow drive lever will take a lot of abuse otherwise.. I was thinking of wedging a piece of rubber coated broom handle into hinge and then tying the engine down to take the strain.

Finally, has anyone any experience of this guys http://www.outboardcovers.co.uk/
Old 10 March 2009, 11:44   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
A few posts on here about engine supports - but the broom handle idea I think captures the main idea.

Looked at those cover having seena few on boats in the solent - not sure they realy do much except make it look differant & keep the cowling wet ? Decided not to ( yet )
Old 10 March 2009, 11:48   #3

Thanks Blackroady,

completely agree about the cowling covers, my thought was if I trail with the engine in the boat - then an all over cover would stop the engine getting trashed on the ali floor
Old 10 March 2009, 11:59   #4

Town: porthcawl
Make: lomac
Engine: evinrude 40 etec o/b
MMSI: 235069383
hi when i had a honda inflatable i had the same problem, so after weeks of going through the tinternet i found a great gadget called a transom saver you cant get them in this country, i managed to get one from the usa.£30 i have never used it, it is in the shed still in its box i also got hold of one for my mate he tinks its a great bit of kit. the reason its still boxed i sold the honda and bought a rib with ptt if your interested pm me. if you look on the internet for
transom savers you will see what i am on about.
Old 10 March 2009, 12:06   #5

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
for piece of mind i always lay the engine down in the boat on a pile of rope then lay an old coat down on that ,as long as its lashed down and cannot move it will be fine ,much better than straining the transom with the condition of some of our roads including pot holes ,speed bumps ect .,if you are going to trail with the leg down watch that it doesent catch any metal parts of the trailor ,once saw an engine gear casing damaged so much it looked like someone had been hitting it with a lump hammer where it had been vibrating and touching the trailor . regards mart
Old 10 March 2009, 12:51   #6

Mart,

I think I'm of the same opinion as you about putting the engine in the boat.

Greenkeg - Will have a look into that idea about Transom Saver you have suggested.

Black
Old 10 March 2009, 13:54   #7

Town: porthcawl
Make: lomac
Engine: evinrude 40 etec o/b
MMSI: 235069383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
Mart,

I think I'm of the same opinion as you about putting the engine in the boat.

Greenkeg - Will have a look into that idea about Transom Saver you have suggested.

Black
i just can't understand why they don't sell them over here they are just a spring loaded shock absorber that fits between the trailer and engine leg,tony
Old 10 March 2009, 15:24   #8

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkeg View Post
i just can't understand why they don't sell them over here they are just a spring loaded shock absorber that fits between the trailer and engine leg,tony
I use one. However, I usually compress mine so there's no spring left in the spring. It ends up being pretty much a solid rod that the motor sits on. Given the configuration of my boat and trailer, I run mine between the LU and the welded lip on the hull (aluminum hull) as I can't reach the trailers rear crossmember without a lot of modification.

I used one on the Achilles, as well, as you could watch the motor and transom wobbling fore and aft while on the trailer. The support bracket stopped that.

One other note: I used a Fulton unit (painted steel, comes with some little blue rubber pills that act as cushions); it's trash. Generally lasted less than a season. The current one (don't remember the brand) is made of aluminum, and has lasted for over a year so far, and shows no sign of locking up like the Fulton one did.

jky