Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 26 July 2010, 16:33   #1
Member
 
Country: Finland
Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 896
Trailer for SIB , optimal sliding surface?

The SIB trailer I sourced today for the bomabard, has as sliding surface made of wood covered by some kind of carpet/fabric. As anyway need to doo some minor modifications to it before usage, would ask, what is considered as the best material for covering the sliding surface, minmizing the friction between it and the PVC hull?
__________________

__________________
fun on a boat is inversely proportional to size...sort of anyway
C-NUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2010, 16:53   #2
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NUMB View Post
The SIB trailer I sourced today for the bomabard, has as sliding surface made of wood covered by some kind of carpet/fabric. As anyway need to doo some minor modifications to it before usage, would ask, what is considered as the best material for covering the sliding surface, minmizing the friction between it and the PVC hull?
A smooth thick carpet fabric glued on wooden top, would be just fine for a good in/out water sib slide..

Happy Sibbing
__________________

__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2010, 07:06   #3
Member
 
m chappelow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
just be carefull which carpet you use ,as Loco said thick smooth carpet should be ok
,but some of the cord type carpet can be abrasive after a while especially if it gets sand /grit caught in the pile .
__________________
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2010, 15:15   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 584
My trailer has phenol coated plywood for the bunks:

http://www.degraafftrailers.co.uk/dinghy-trailers.htm

Super smooth, and easy to keep clean.

Cheers

Chris
__________________
chris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2010, 17:27   #5
Member
 
Country: Finland
Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 896
thanks for helpfull comments so far. Here a picture of the trailer. Can't use it now as the bombard is aprox 50 cm kind of to long. However will move the winch forward and extend the gliding surface slightly so think it will will be sorted. The carpet now on the trailer loks like cheapest what ever random material, but might be wrong.

Have some phenol coated(looking the same, weather proof stuff with a kind of hard brown "plastic" like surface) in the garage, might modify using it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	53100  
__________________
fun on a boat is inversely proportional to size...sort of anyway
C-NUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2010, 20:57   #6
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NUMB View Post
thanks for helpfull comments so far. Here a picture of the trailer. Can't use it now as the bombard is aprox 50 cm kind of to long. However will move the winch forward and extend the gliding surface slightly so think it will will be sorted. The carpet now on the trailer loks like cheapest what ever random material, but might be wrong.

Have some phenol coated(looking the same, weather proof stuff with a kind of hard brown "plastic" like surface) in the garage, might modify using it.
The picture corresponds to a RIB not a proper Sib trailer, unless you modify it to have wider better under tube supports, using it as it is will probably support the fabric floor instead of the under tubes. The fabric looks ok for rib hull issues.

Happy Sibbing
__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2010, 04:26   #7
Member
 
Country: Finland
Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
The picture corresponds to a RIB not a proper Sib trailer, unless you modify it to have wider better under tube supports, using it as it is will probably support the fabric floor instead of the under tubes. The fabric looks ok for rib hull issues.

Happy Sibbing
Thats correct, the sliding surface is way to narow for an airflor SIB with plenty of weight on the transom. But this model was the closest enough and should be fairly easy to modify. I wonder should i try to get all weight on the tubes or something also on the floor. The floor is pretty stiff with 0.8 bar( if ever reaching it....).
Funny thing, the trailer its rate for 700/(560net) kg load, weight will never be an issue. Cheers
__________________
fun on a boat is inversely proportional to size...sort of anyway
C-NUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2010, 13:11   #8
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NUMB View Post
Thats correct, the sliding surface is way to narow for an airflor SIB with plenty of weight on the transom. But this model was the closest enough and should be fairly easy to modify. I wonder should i try to get all weight on the tubes or something also on the floor. The floor is pretty stiff with 0.8 bar( if ever reaching it....).
Funny thing, the trailer its rate for 700/(560net) kg load, weight will never be an issue. Cheers
If you plan to keep engine secured on inflated sib at all times, tubes & transom should be properly supported, is not any good to have supports under fabric, this does not offers digidity as tubes offers, in the long run will ruin under hull fabric.

Both trailer concepts are completely different, each one for it's specified boat application.

Happy Sibbing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	53142   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	53143   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	53144  
__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2010, 11:15   #9
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,706
This type of bunk trailer modified to your needs, would be perfect for your Aerotec, offers good tube support, has long bow/transom deep V for ease of beach in/out maneouvers.

Happy Sibbing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bunk Trailer 1.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	53159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bunk Trailer 2.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	53160  
__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2010, 16:25   #10
Member
 
Country: Finland
Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
This type of bunk trailer modified to your needs, would be perfect for your Aerotec, offers good tube support, has long bow/transom deep V for ease of beach in/out maneouvers.

Happy Sibbing
Thanks, that would be a perfect one. However, think will try to do a semi suitable from bits and pieces thats hope to find in the garage. Intend to keep the boat and trailer only for this season(if things goes as planned) so won't do a huge project of the trailer mod. Will post some pictures when completed, hopefully tomorow.
__________________

__________________
fun on a boat is inversely proportional to size...sort of anyway
C-NUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.