Old 19 July 2015, 11:09   #1

Trailer bearings - Help!!!

Just fitted some new hubs/bearings etc to my De-Graff trailer. Just taken it on a 30 min test run and all good except on one of the wheels there is quite a lot of grease splatter (inside of wheel) Jacked it up, wheel is spinning freely and just enough play. Also hubs were warm but not hot. Could this be settling in or a bigger issue. Advice needed asap as taking it to Cornwall next weekend - 5 hour drive!! Thanks Chris
Old 19 July 2015, 11:15   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Is the trailer braked?
For grease to splatter, it's usually been thinned by heat.
Old 19 July 2015, 11:34   #3

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Did you put the sealing ring on the back?

Sent from my iPad using my finger
Old 19 July 2015, 12:31   #4

Hi no the trailer is not braked - hubs were warm after the 30 min run not red hot. Installed both bearings correctly (I hope!!) so the inside bearing has the seal. How warm should the hubs be after a short run?
Old 19 July 2015, 12:50   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood View Post
Hi no the trailer is not braked - hubs were warm after the 30 min run not red hot. Installed both bearings correctly (I hope!!) so the inside bearing has the seal. How warm should the hubs be after a short run?

No warmer than aired, not noticeably warm in this weather.

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2015, 13:24   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Engine: 115 hp
what grease was it hi temp ???
Old 19 July 2015, 13:56   #7

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
If either hub was warm to touch. something ain't right. The heat is being generated by friction, whatever is causing the friction is going to 'develop' over a 5hr tow.
It may pay to have a trailer pro take a gander. A wheel off on the M5 is no joke.
Old 19 July 2015, 14:58   #8

It's Starbright trailer grease. Could the castle nut be too tight or too loose? I'm guessing too tight if heats being generated but there seems enough play in wheel. As mentioned might be worth getting a pro have a look at it.
Old 19 July 2015, 19:56   #9

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
The seal might have come off the bearing when you fitted the hub. They're just pushed on.
Old 19 July 2015, 21:06   #10

Will take wheel off and have a look at the bearing seal tomorrow.
Old 20 July 2015, 06:49   #11

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Starbrite grease is good stuff, so no issue there. Whip off the wheels to take another look. The thrust washer goes on last followed by the castle nut. Tighten with a ratchet to nip it slightly, then back it off a 1/4 turn, then add the split pin. There should be only the slightest play in the wheel. Could be the wheel splatter is because you overpacked the bearing with grease.
Old 20 July 2015, 15:19   #12

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
If you're running bearing savers, it's probably a matter of too much added grease. Only need to get the outer disk to move, not get it fully jammed against the housing.

If not, then either a bit too much packed into the hub before fitting, a failed grease seal, or a corroded grease seal bearing surface.

My hubs tend to run a few degrees above ambient; my general rule of thumb (if I don't measure the temp - generally runs under a hundred degrees F) is that if it's uncomfortable (not painful, but just uncomfortable) to touch with a bare hand, it's too hot and needs to be addressed.

jky
Old 20 July 2015, 19:26   #13

Thanks all for the advice. After reading comments hubs were definitely running too hot. Just finished re-fitting hubs. Have taken both hubs off - seals look fine etc, fitted back on ensuring seal is sitting correctly. Greased without over packing. Tightened castle nut while spinning hub, back off then again to ensure all seated correctly. Backed nut off and placed pin one notch back from previous position which to be honest does feel as though there is too much play in the wheel. If I put the pin back to original position wheel is not spinning completely freely. Going to test tomorrow on 30min run and see how I get on. Fingers crossed. Once again thanks all.
Old 20 July 2015, 21:36   #14

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
If it wasn't spinning freely it's too tight.
As I've said elsewhere on here for taper rollers I tighten whilst spinning wheel until they get stiff.
Then back off until I can detect play rocking the wheel with a 12 & 6 grip.
I'd rather have slightly too much play than too little. Never had an issue that way incl MOT test on cars but I did overtighten a taper roller on the Scimitar & ended up being recovered when the bearing broke up as a result.
Old 20 July 2015, 22:13   #15

Hi Paintman. Many thanks for your responses - have been really helpful. It seems the problem
I have is can't lock castle nut in best position. On one there is a slight amount if play in wheel but it's not spinning completely freely. Next notch back allows the wheel to spin completely freely but lots of play in wheel. Difficult to know which is the better one to go for but as over heating need to go for the looser setting. Concerned wheel may be too loose though. Will give a run tomorrow.
Old 20 July 2015, 22:15   #16

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
If you tighten with a spanner then back off one flat then probably too tight
As a guide I tighten the nut with a pair of pliers then back off to 1st available hole which is usually spot on
Using pliers means you get limited torque on the nut so you are sure your not over tightening
Old 21 July 2015, 00:41   #17

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood View Post
Hi Paintman. Many thanks for your responses - have been really helpful. It seems the problem
I have is can't lock castle nut in best position. On one there is a slight amount if play in wheel but it's not spinning completely freely. Next notch back allows the wheel to spin completely freely but lots of play in wheel. Difficult to know which is the better one to go for but as over heating need to go for the looser setting. Concerned wheel may be too loose though. Will give a run tomorrow.
Fingers crossed!
Old 21 July 2015, 08:37   #18

Town: York
Boat name: Rubber Johnny
Make: Avon Supersport 3.45
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 40 2 stroke
been following this thread with interest. these things are exactly why i bought a spare set of bearings and a wheel.

i carry them every time i tow with a tub of grease, scissor jack and spanners so i can effect a repair on the side of the road if needs be.

i've known (and seen) too many people cook a bearing and get stranded on the m1. it's good to see people take trailer maintenance seriously. it appears to be an often overlooked piece of essential tlc.

next month i trailing down to hamble point marina from york so i'm getting all my checks in now.
Old 21 July 2015, 10:38   #19

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Fingers crossed!
How big is one notch it should only be 1/6th of a turn which will give virtually no play from being nipped
If loosening one by one flat on the nut produces a large movement then I'd be looking for some other problem
Old 21 July 2015, 12:18   #20

This is where I am struggling - I agree seems crazy considering it's only 1/6th of a turn but it makes that much difference. I'm going to give a run tonight but concerned wheel may now have too much play which may cause other issues. Getting totally ***** off with it to be honest. Seemed a simply job to do - may just take it to Indespension and get them to have a look at it.