Old 06 June 2018, 20:04   #1

Town: Yorkshire
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Towing using launching wheels

Whilst on holiday last year the slipway on site was a reasonable distance from where we where pitched and the first (and last!!) time I tried moving the boat by hand to the slip, I was a little tired come getting in the water, so subsequent outings and returns I tied the painter around the tow ball holding on to one end and we drove it round....very carefully.
So this year was thinking about making something that would allow the boat with the launch wheels on to be attached to the car tow bar to slicken up the process and prevent the boat catching the door on the bends (to clarify no intention of using on public road and only travelling at very slow speeds on tarmac through campsite to slipway).
Firstly any comments on doing this?

Secondly if people have done it already any designs that worked well?....I have a rough idea in my mind on how to go about it but thought would see if anyone had done it before? (A design that works better than an untested idea!).
Old 07 June 2018, 05:45   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
That's one of those things that sounds like it might just work, or might just end in disaster. The launch wheels should be able to take the weight and a certain amount of jiggling about. However, it's not what they were designed for.

With the right weight distribution, it can be fairly easy to move a boat a reasonable distance on two wheels. Alternatively, what about adapting a folding launch trolley and fitting a detachable nose wheel?
Old 07 June 2018, 06:11   #3

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by br1anuk View Post
A set of front launching wheels!!!!!!!!!!

Ive had them converted with a tow hitch on the front so you can pull the boat with your car. The handles to pull it along are still on it.

These are Genuine zodiac ones that grab hold of the front handle.

£120

Collection liverpool, Doncaster or Pwlleheli.

For sale in the bits and pieces section,sound perfect for you
Old 07 June 2018, 08:45   #4

Thanks for the replies, I must admit I did have some reservations but ultimately I wouldn't imagine there would be much difference in loading from a very slow tow to walking with it.
I have looked at the break down trailers (which was my original plan) and thanks Mickhitchuk I had seen the front wheels advert, but on both counts would take up probably more space during transportation as would still have to take the launch wheels when we go and didn't have much space spare although it may be worth a little more thought. Does anyone have experience of the breakdown trailers on the aerotec 380?....as the ones I saw (circa £80-120 on evilbay) I weren't sure if they were long enough.
Old 07 June 2018, 09:18   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Have a look at post #58 onwards on this thread... http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/how-far...s-71295-2.html

As the thread describes for a longer or more difficult transom wheel trundle I sorted a bow trolley from a slightly modded trailer moving dolly... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUT...4383.l4275.c10

Worked really well saving lifting as well as pulling... much easier on the hands than holding the bow handle... and allows two folks to share the effort.

Only any use to anyone who can get to West Cambs but I'll be selling it at the start of July after our hols as we are changing the way/locations we launch to avoid longer trundles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow dolly.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	125156  
Old 07 June 2018, 17:33   #6

Thanks fenlander, I knew someone must have had the issue before. I think for me that looks a bit too bulky for transporting (better half packs everything in the house except carpets I think!!) Although am leaning towards a collapsible trailer and putting the towbar hitch on it....although I like the method you have used to attach it to your bow ring...ingenious!!
Old 07 June 2018, 19:21   #7

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Have a look at post #58 onwards on this thread... http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/how-far...s-71295-2.html

As the thread describes for a longer or more difficult transom wheel trundle I sorted a bow trolley from a slightly modded trailer moving dolly... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUT...4383.l4275.c10

Worked really well saving lifting as well as pulling... much easier on the hands than holding the bow handle... and allows two folks to share the effort.

Only any use to anyone who can get to West Cambs but I'll be selling it at the start of July after our hols as we are changing the way/locations we launch to avoid longer trundles.

Recognise that slip David!!
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 June 2018, 21:13   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yes and it's much missed... as is the coffee shop! Just waiting for daughter to stop coming on holiday adding to votes for the sunny south then when it's just the two of us we'll be straight after Wee Barn!
Old 08 June 2018, 07:58   #9

Town: ...
Boat name: none
Make: Honwave 3.5-AE
Engine: Mariner 6hp
I do it all the time for a short distance'
I jam the webbing of a ratchet strap in the top of the boot door of my old saloon.I tie a short length of light line between the two towing eyes and hook it onto the hook of the ratchet strap. I carry the engine separately in the car
Old 08 June 2018, 08:08   #10

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Yes and it's much missed... as is the coffee shop! Just waiting for daughter to stop coming on holiday adding to votes for the sunny south then when it's just the two of us we'll be straight after Wee Barn!

Yep you can’t beat it!! Rosie has left coffee shop and has bought the Smiddy in Lochgilphead. Take care see you soon back in the West [emoji106]
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote