Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 11 March 2014, 10:26   #1

Town: Essex
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp
Towing Toys Behind Sib, Any Experience/Advice?

I've had my quicksilver 430 with a 30hp 2 stroke for about 5 yrs now and always have had the insurance to tow toys but never have. Now the kids are definitely the right age, I really want to try. Options are ringo, knee board, wakeboard, skis

Cruising speed on flat water is about 18knts but will do 22knts 2 up with a lot of winter fishing gear. I'm thinking it will be better to keep 2 on boat to help keep bow down and observation. I do have a tiller extension if needed.

Some boating mates have said it would put a lot of strain on transom, might pull the back around on the corners, would be dangerous etc, yet every one I've seen has a ringo with it. The transom has a hoop on each side ready for a bridle. Even people that sell the sea pros say about pulling toys.

People have even told me this set up could even pull a skier under 10 stone?

So, what do you know guys? Any advice?
Old 11 March 2014, 12:43   #2

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Always Always have at least 2 with the helmsman on board whilst towing.

Safety first
Old 11 March 2014, 13:15   #3

Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
I used to have similiar set up (Valiant 3.8 +25hp) and towed ringos/kneeboards/wakeboards (both my kids also learnt to wakeboard off the back) using bridle off transom eyes never had a problem,

I would recommend Obrien screamer as a bit of fun for all the family and youngsters will pick up kneeboarding very quickly and have great fun, (wakeboarding will take a lot more patience!!)
Old 11 March 2014, 13:20   #4

Thanks. Will look that up. Keep the opinions coming.
Old 11 March 2014, 15:15   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
In California (I think every state has slightly different regs), you are required to have an adult spotter/flagman in addition to the pilot. Seems reasonable to me, as it's tough to keep an eye on the tube/skier/whatever and on where you're going (especially with the possibility of other skiers down in the water ahead.)

I'm not all that hot on towing things, but have done it on occasion (though I've got a few more ponies than you do.) It will likely take a bit of experimentation to figure out what you can and can't do with your setup (hard turns while towing eats up a lot of energy, for instance.)

Have fun, and be safe;

jky

jky
Old 11 March 2014, 15:25   #6

Yes, I forgot about the momentum on hard turns. I don't think I'll be doing too many tight turns as its a lot to handle with a tiller. I'm just trying to find out what others have had success with so I don't waste too much money buying toys that won't work.

I can imagine myself trying to turn tight to throw them out of the ringo, but end up throwing myself out!

Thanks
Old 11 March 2014, 16:08   #7

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Some issues,

The only way you could possibly pull off a transom or around the corners would be if glued parts has lost their bonding properties due to age, excessive sun or by running a under inflated sib constantly.

Will need a Y tow rope with a cork after engine to avoid rope entanglements on prop, once mate is on the water will need to stretch tight the line against sib and start throttling evenly and gradually to full wot if you like. That way will avoid unwanted stress on transom and toy rings.

Be aware that if you use a Y tow rope in close turns rope could end abrading end tubes, will need to reinforce end tubes on that particular rub portion which will need to be determined by water experimentation with pvc/hypalon fabric patch to avoid direct rub issues against tubes. Usually you use a tow bar bolted against rib's floor, but not on a sib.

Happy Boating
Old 11 March 2014, 18:25   #8

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
On the sib I used to put a rope around the front eyes, down the sides and then fixed to an A shape behind the boat to attach teh tow rope to.

I found this put no strain on the transom and was easy to control.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2014, 18:29   #9

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
you wont rip the transom off as the rope is pulling against the very thing that is pushing the boat along. i would say get a donut first and play with that. theres is loads of fun to be had but there is a definite technique to cornering as the drag wants to keep the boat going in a straight line. learn to get a pendulum effect going and youve cracked it - get the donut skimming sideways, then accelerate in the direction you want to go. i used to have a yam 360s with a 25 on the back and managed the donut no problem, though i doubt it would have got a skier up too well.
Old 11 March 2014, 18:44   #10

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Towed a variety of toys with a Zodiac Futura and a HonWave T40. Attach the rope to the transom with a bridle (buy a proper one and floating rope to minimise chances of fouling prop).

Always carry a spotter and use your tiller extension if it gives you decent control and dont overestimate the capabilities of your sib.

I would only buy a single ringo (the doubles take a huge amount of power to get them on the plane) then kneeboarding is probably the easiest thing to learn. Waterskiing and wakeboarding both require really good technique to get out of the water when you only have a small engine, but with practice your boat should tow kids fairly easily (upto about 50kg ish).

I was really lucky as a kid and spent holidays on Windermere being dragged behind a variety of tournament ski boats on pretty much anything we could get our hands on, but I honestly think my kids had more fun playing behind the Futura on Ullswater than I ever did behind a Mastercraft.
Old 11 March 2014, 23:34   #11

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I've waterski'd behind a bombard 380 & a 25hp yam I was about 12.5 stone at the time
Id say you shouldnt have any problem with your 30hp

Great fun draging kids around on anything that floats

Kneeboards ar probably the easiest after ringos & kids love em

Im sure you will have fun whatever toys you buy
Old 12 March 2014, 01:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
On the sib I used to put a rope around the front eyes, down the sides and then fixed to an A shape behind the boat to attach teh tow rope to.
Although the towing method is excellent, keep in mind that you could be pulling off both ring fabric that holds them onto patch if happens being fabricated with thin fabric while towing a heavy load.

Happy Boating
Old 12 March 2014, 05:36   #13

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
The shock loads from towing a tube/ringo can be extreme. More than you can probably realize without seeing it in person. They can break ropes easily. My point is that you need to be careful how you use them, and try not to shock load the rope/boat/tube.

Even a wakeboarder can produce around 800#'s of force. I know I sent a non stretch spectra 80ft line straight into the boat with a lot of force. Fortunately the handle was caught by someone watching, without hitting any one.

With kids the forces are minimal. An adult can pull a SIB almost in circles while wakeboarding. I can drag mine all over the place, then again I can change the direction of a comp boat. It requires full throttle just to keep it near 20mph, and I prefer to ride at 24.2mph as that is when my board comes alive. Kids won't need as much speed, so less horsepower is probably okay.

For tubes/ringos, use a stretchy rope to lessen shock loads, since the tube will not fly into the boat. For wakeboarding and kneeboarding use a non stretch rope as it will keep it from flying into the boat.

I made my own tow harness using a piece of spectra line, some stainless links, and a float. My boat also has some stainless eye bolts, although I believe most Zodiacs come with galvanized eye bolts.

Old 12 March 2014, 07:01   #14

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Engine: 50hp e-tec
I've towed a ringo behind my old caribe 4m with a 30hp mariner - worked fine two up.

My bombard with 18hp managed to plane towing a ringo, but was definitely affected by the rings momentum a lot more - the tail was wagging the dog a lot more than I expected. It was still fun , but a lot more work to ensure a fun, safe tow. I don't think more power would have helped a great deal- the aerotec is just so light even with moderate loading and two up that the forces generated in turns were non-negligible.

As long as you take care about your attaching of the tow line and take it easy I don't see a problem with your rig, but go easy until you know how it's going to handle.
Old 12 March 2014, 07:31   #15

Thanks guys. It all sounds very exciting. All the advice is pretty positive. I will definitely give it a go this year.
One thing I would like to ask is when you guys refer to pulling the back all over the place, is that just very unnerving or is it dangerous. I cant really imagine what it must feel like. Does it pull the boat off the plane or just change its direction?
Being an ally deck quicksilver it does weigh in at 115kg, engine 52kg, plus transom wheels, extra seat etc so it is a lot heavier than a bombard.
Any advice on a knee board?
Old 12 March 2014, 16:05   #16

Just keep that Quicksilver well tube and keel top inflated, go for a spin as suggested, assume a knee board has less drag under board than a ringo, so must be easier to plane faster with less throttle than full wot.

Happy Boating
Old 12 March 2014, 16:49   #17

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
It's definitely true that a well bonded transom can handle the loads applied when towing recreational skiers. I have a Zodiac Futura with a 40 hp outboard and it easily pulls full size adults wakeboarding and foiling. A single slalom ski is a really tough proposition and my boat just doesn't make that worthwhile.

Tubes and other inflatables should always be towed from the transom, but it is possible to tow from a low pole as is shown in the second pic. I was surprised at how stable the inflatable is when towing.

Have fun out there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wakeboard-small.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	92089   Click image for larger version

Name:	foilsmall.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	92090  
Old 12 March 2014, 17:34   #18

Thanks. What is that in the second picture? It looks like a hydrofoiling seat? Is a zodiac futura hard bottomed, what size is it? Great pics
Old 12 March 2014, 21:32   #19

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Kelson; You have more info on your ski pole? I assume it's gotta be bolted in; is it fairly easily removable?

Not looking for one, just curious.

jky
Old 12 March 2014, 21:46   #20

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
Costco uk are doing this delta 4 man towable inflatable, looks like a lot of fun it seems bigger when you see it

Works out at £185 of our English pounds with the vat

New HO Sports Delta 4 Towable Water Tube Boat Lake Ski Inflatable 1 2 3 4 Person - HutShop.com