Old 24 January 2009, 13:19   #1

Length: under 3m
Towing a wakeboard

Hi there,

My first post here. I currently have a 2.4m SIB, but I'm thinking of upgrading to something a little bigger, to be able to tow either a donut or a wakeboard.

Is towing these practical from a SIB, and how big an engine do I need to be able to do so. I'm not going to be towing anyone big, so max 13 stone. There seems to be so much choice available, on B&O at the mo, and I don't really know where to start
Old 24 January 2009, 19:16   #2

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I used a 3.83m with a 25hp on and it towed a knee board nicely.

Andy
Old 24 January 2009, 23:35   #3

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
I run a 4.2 meter zodiac futura with a 40 hp Nissan. It pops my 250 lb friend up (just how much is a stone?) along with two of us in the boat. How low a hp outboard you can use is directly related to your skill. At first we would drag my buddy quite a ways before he got up. He could have used a snorkle. Boat seemed underpowered for his size. He has gotten better and now he muscles right up. I have seen posts of guys riding behind 25 hp motors. With my fat crew it would be a bit hard to imagine...
Old 25 January 2009, 14:42   #4

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Welcome to the forums, a 25 HP and a 3.80 sib would be the minimum to go, buy a Tohatsu 25 and update to 30, you can find the update method here. Maybe difficult to get a 2 strokes where you are located.

Happy Sibbing
Old 25 January 2009, 15:56   #5

Length: under 3m
Thanks for the info, 14lb in a stone, so no more than about 180lb.

I'll look around for something around 30hp then
Old 25 January 2009, 16:41   #6

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Cant you skid off the beach with those boards, which would make it easier to get going with a smaller engine ? I was told you could, but I didnt fancy the whiplash or is that just knee boards, and not wakeboards?
Old 25 January 2009, 20:15   #7

Northern Monkey you might want to check out this webpage.
http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=560
When I was first boat shopping this was one of the only actual references I could find. Interesting that these kids ran a 25 on a zodiac for a while and still regularly use a 40 hp. Pop the spotter up front for the best hole shot. Have fun!
Old 25 January 2009, 21:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelson View Post
I run a 4.2 meter zodiac futura with a 40 hp Nissan. It pops my 250 lb friend up (just how much is a stone?) along with two of us in the boat. How low a hp outboard you can use is directly related to your skill. At first we would drag my buddy quite a ways before he got up. He could have used a snorkle. Boat seemed underpowered for his size. He has gotten better and now he muscles right up. I have seen posts of guys riding behind 25 hp motors. With my fat crew it would be a bit hard to imagine...
Hola Kelson

Is your Nissan a 2 or 4 strokes, if a two which version Compact C-40 2 cylinder or 40- 3 inline cylinders ? There's more than 200 CC betwen both.

Happy Sibbing
Old 26 January 2009, 01:16   #9

Two stroke, three cylinder nissan 40 d2 EPTO. Overheated and blew the head gasket the second time I had it in the water (used purchase). Nice thing about the 40 is that we don't have to run full throttle to wakeboard. Boat throttles back after the rider is up. Hey, Locozodiac, I was checking out Palomino island online. Beautiful abundant wildlife! Miraflores sure looks awesome too. Luck you live Lima!
Ran with a bridle off the transom until I installed a pole, great addition if you have an aluminum floor. Helps you pop right up. Second image of mounting plate to backing plates that key into side rails for strength. Anything's possible.

Old 26 January 2009, 01:22   #10

Two stroke, three cylinder nissan 40 d2 EPTO. Overheated and blew the head gasket the second time I had it in the water (used purchase). Nice thing about the 40 is that we don't have to run full throttle to wakeboard. Boat throttles back after the rider is up. Hey, Locozodiac, I was checking out Palomino island online. Beautiful abundant wildlife! Miraflores sure looks awesome too. Luck you live Lima!
Ran a bridle until I insatalled a pole, great addition if you have an aluminum floor. Helps you pop right up. second image of mounting plate to backing plates that key into side rails for strength. Anything's possible.

Old 26 January 2009, 20:51   #11

Hello again

That's the issue of buying second hand engines, you never know for sure what has been done to them in terms of regular maintenence, that's why always strip cylinder head, clean out of all water passages, check, clean or replace thermostat, new head gasket torq to specs, change impeller, check impeller housing, new plugs, gear oil inspection/change, and away you go with confidence.

Yes, a 3 cylinder, 3 carbed engine has the power to go non full wot to have a skier up, thanks for the nice words about Palomino Island, it's a 30 mile round exciting cruise. On the way back to civilization have found a 100 penguin member family, very curious to strangers, a real visual delight for the eye, will post some pics by week end. Yes, Miraflores is a nice place too at the Pacific Ocean front.

Happy Sibbing