Old 24 June 2015, 10:16   #11
Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Two forged eye bolts at the transom along with a tow bridle like the one pictured make for a good towing set up. I would not want to attach the tow line to the tubes. Go with the strongest part of the boat! At least some of the forces from the outboard will be in direct opposition to the tow loading.

The forces applied will ramp up quickly with speed. Go slow says Mr. Obvious

Nice art Poly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B4430973-2T.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	106351  

kelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 11:21   #12
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
In my experience towing a hard boat with a Sib is not very successful as you do not have much sib in the water to add steerage!
I would just hold or use a bridle attached to the transom NOT the tubes, or can you not stick the Sibs outboard on the hard boat?

Member of the Ribeye supporters club!!!
Member of Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Member of SR4 club
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 12:14   #13
Plus one for eyebolts.
kaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 15:10   #14
Length: 3m +
I've alongside towed about 2miles it works OK. (For a one off tow thats what I'd do). I prefer to be towed on a bridle but would prefer that to be through eye bolts than attached to the toobs. I've never towed in a SIB just a RIB but Practical Boat Owner did a series last year with a SIB type tender moving a yacht about in a marina and everyone in the test was surprised how effective it was.
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2015, 16:03   #15
Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Alongside towing works well, I towed my 28ft sportscruiser from about 2 miles offshore with the Zodiac 240 slat deck and 3hp Malta tender strapped alongside.

Steerage was a bit hit and miss, but using the leg on the sportscruiser helped a lot.
Landlockedpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2015, 03:11   #16
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
As others have said if you tow then put eye bolts in to the transom, that doesn't increase the load as such just gives the most direct pull from where the force of the outboard is being applied. Using the ring patches will load their glue attachment to the point they might pull off.... or cause stress to the transom to tube joints.

Use several larger (30mm dia or more) penny washers on the inside of the tow eyes.

Finally go carefully avoiding snatch loads. How much stress you give the SIB might also depend on its transom. For example the Honwaves have lovely thick fibreglass & wood sandwich transoms.... leisure Zodiacs like my 340 air floor have very thin plywood transoms.

BTW I agree alongside could be good... quite a pro way to do it with springs as Poly shows. Your 15hp will have the power to move it all... just set up similar to Poly's diagram for best steerage.

I always fit towing eyes on my SIB transoms and carry my own home made tow bridle. This for emergencies only and I'm thinking more about helping with a canoe, board, other SIB or small sailing dinghy than anything larger.
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2015, 06:46   #17
Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
I'd be putting the engine onto the speedboat of at all possible, if not alongside will work well with a line tow the last option.

I used to tow on my sib by placing a nice wide bridle around the front of the sib, through the carrying handle / painter clip and then back along the sides, through a pair of eyes for guidance, not weight bearing.

This gave the boat a wrap around (for want of a better explanation) and worked really well.

Bude Dive Club -
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2015, 07:10   #18
Boat name: Tempo
Make: Scorpion 8.1 Mk1
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda BF225
And what about tying a rope to the outboard itself? A bit down low the leg? As I understand the bottom of the outboard is pushing and the top of the outboard is pulling at the transom.
Is it possible to even out the pulling (speedboat) and pushing of the outboard if you tie a rope to the outboard itself?

Just thinking.
otilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2015, 07:15   #19
Town: Epsom
Length: no boat
Alongside, slow speed and anticipate the tidal flow rather than fight it.

Just keep the rear of the power /steering boat as the rearmost part of the setup to keep steerage

Don't forget the 270 around the tow may be easier than 90 tow around tug

Richardnhunt is offline   Reply With Quote