Old 15 January 2019, 11:24   #11

Town: Seattle
Make: Achilles
Length: 3m +
Engine: 18hp 2 smoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I used to move my SIB around in the back of my Nissan Navara pickup all the time. Would overhang slightly. The tailgate helped to support the boat. I never took it on any crazy distances but for usual traveling would normally transport with the engine on. Reverse down the ramp and then manhandle it off into the water. Worked really well.
Good to hear! It's easy to get this engine on/off the transom and I have a "treasure chest" in this truck (rear engine and rear transmission, so the doors just forward of the rear wheels open to a storage space large enough to crawl inside) so I think I will stash the gas cans and engine in there when transporting. My intention is to use this boat locally in Puget Sound, so I can launch as close as a mile from my home and am unlikely to go more than 10-15 miles or so, all on surface roads... no highway.

Old 15 January 2019, 11:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinNZ View Post
Echoing Kurt... Nice DOKA...I guess a syncro? Still stock engine? Always wanted one... Especially a Syncro 16.
Thanks! It's a 1989 "Tristar" Doka, originally from Sweden (they never sold these in the USA, only the 7 passenger van and 5 passenger camper configurations sold here). It is my daily driver and on the weekends it becomes the family car, seats 5 in relative comfort and is just fun to drive. I've had it for about 8 months and am slowly setting things right, lots of little things to do on a vehicle of this vintage. It has a stock petrol/gas "DJ" engine putting out 112HP and stock 5 speed manual transmission, 14 inch model. This one is a rear wheel/2wd model and since it does not have a limited slip that really makes it a 1 wheel drive model

I actually own another vehicle on the same platform (called a "vanagon" here in the states, T3 most of the rest of the world) which is a 1986 Syncro Westfalia (camper with a kitchen, cabinets and a pop top tent) with front and rear lockers and a decoupler, a crawling gear etc. Over the last 2 years my wife and I have performed a ton of work on that vehicle including an engine swap and also a rust resolution/body restoration with a windows-out repaint in our little home shop. So, I am very familiar with these vehicles as well as with the Syncro world! There is quite a following for these vehicles here in the "Pacific Northwest" including Oregon, Washington and British Columbia. A 16 inch Syncro would be ultra rare in the States, never imported here originally... very cool vehicles.

Old 15 January 2019, 11:48   #13

Some pics of my VWs:

1986 Syncro Westfalia before paint (black panels are those I have replaced due to rust)

Painting the Syncro in my home shop (with plastic sheeting to make a "paint booth")

After paint, reassembly

Camping after the body work is complete

The new kid on the block, Tristar Doka (note there are two other Vanagon/T3 campers in this picture... very popular around here!). If you squint you can see some of my crabbing gear in the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180427_175231 (1).jpg
Views:	99
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	128220   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_033251.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	128221   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180815_105715.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	128222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180731_235049.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	128223   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181017_122206.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	128224  

Old 15 January 2019, 13:30   #14

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Neither VW would suit our vehicle needs but they both look really cool. Well done on the camper restoration... it looks great.
Old 15 January 2019, 14:41   #15

Town: Phoenix
Make: Achilles SGX-132
Length: 4m +
Engine: Long Shaft Johnson!
Beautiful work on the VW!

Having my gas tank in front is exactly how I cracked the cap :-) Didn't stop me from keeping it there though. Just put something between the two hard surfaces.
Old 15 January 2019, 15:12   #16

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Great camper refurb
Old 15 January 2019, 19:18   #17

Thanks for the kind words guys! Working on/restoring cars is something I know about, SIB ownership is not