Old 10 March 2013, 17:50   #11

Town: Stotfold
Boat name: kimozo 2
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 115 efi 4 st
New sib

As you can see i now have a 4.5mtr rib it gives a much better ride than the sib making it more usable in all conditions, would like a bigger one but storage, cost to run, etc all play their part in what toys we have, minus points now have to launch on proper slip, used to be able to beach launch with launch wheels, was usually free now have to pay but was a great sib and had many fun days out in it even going to iow with the rib net boys.

Old 11 March 2013, 01:18   #12

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
cavitation (or ventilation) is a common problem on these, partly due i think because of the flexing of the transom with the movement of the tubes affecting the trim angle. you will learn to play the throttle in corners to avoid it. my old yam 360s with 25merc did 26mph on the gps. friend of mine has a 4m honwave with a yamaha30 and gets about the same speed.

Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
Festinghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2013, 12:37   #13

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Henry,

Is that a Merc 2, 4 stokes you currently have on transom? What's the distance from lower to upper transon at keel level in centimeters. With trim angle set to have engine paralell to water level once sib is floating and well inflated to it's working pressure, you shouldn't have aireation, ventilation at close turns, propably engine is sitting a tad higher that is shouls be. Are there water splashes over transom at speed ?

Happy Boating
Old 11 March 2013, 13:42   #14

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Henry,

Is that a Merc 2, 4 stokes you currently have on transom? What's the distance from lower to upper transon at keel level in centimeters. With trim angle set to have engine paralell to water level once sib is floating and well inflated to it's working pressure, you shouldn't have aireation, ventilation at close turns, propably engine is sitting a tad higher that is shouls be. Are there water splashes over transom at speed ?

Happy Boating
I don't quite understand 'Is that a Merc 2, 4 stokes you currently have on transom?' And no, no splashes. It is not at close turns, weirdly, it is at, well, average turns. I either have to do a really tight turn or take it right round on a slow turn. It is therebetween I struggle! Also if I power up during the turn. The boat is currently at my caravan on the gower so i cannot access it. It think it is the trim being set wrongly. I think it needs to be trimmed down a bit more. I will try it on friday with the trim set differently. Cheers
Old 11 March 2013, 17:46   #15

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
So you have a 4 mtr Honwave alum floor sib, right ? Was asking if it was a Mercury brand engine, or it's any other brand one ? When you replace the missing water drain diaphragm for a new one, once well setaed inside valve assembly , squeeze some silicone direct from tube to the protruding inside stem to increase it's diameter, that way won't be wiped out nor lost again when water exits from deck while sib it's on plane.

Happy Boating
Old 11 March 2013, 17:49   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
So you have a Honwave alum floor sib, right ? Was asking if it was a Mercury brand engine, or it's any other brand one ? When you replace the missing water drain diaphragm for a new one, once well setaed inside plug, squeeze some silicone direct from tube to the protruding stem to form a thicker stem, that way won't be lost again when water exits from deck while sib it's at plane.

Happy Boating
cheers for the tip and it is a 25hp 2 stroke tohatsu (the aquamarine blue and red one)
Old 14 March 2013, 17:11   #17

Town: Woodbridge
Make: Dykemoor
Engine: Mariner 30hp
Think a bit of practice is needed with launch & recovery. You should never lift the boat as you could do yourself a serious injury. Take on board the advice you have been given & yes, trailer needs to be submerged under the sib before recovery using the options mentioned. Bunkered trailers are best for sibs as they spread the load of boat/trailer. Rollers concentrate load at certain point, not good! Also rollers may well damage the fabric of the boat!
Old 16 March 2013, 09:39   #18

Town: Exeter
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda BF90
Hi Henry
Just a couple of thoughts... Does cavitation only occur when turning to the side you are sitting? If so, it could just be the angle of the transom with the weight to one side. Another consideration could be that Honwave alu floors have a fairly flat vee at the stern and tend to slide a bit until the tubes hit the water. This could explain why you notice cavitation in medium turns, but not so much in tighter turns. Also, if you have a gps-enabled smartphone, you can get a speed reading from that.
PS. Love the Gower, what a great place to start your sibbing experience. Perhaps a trip round to Worms Head would be a good summer trip for you?
Old 16 March 2013, 09:49   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exe treme View Post
Hi Henry
Just a couple of thoughts... Does cavitation only occur when turning to the side you are sitting? If so, it could just be the angle of the transom with the weight to one side. Another consideration could be that Honwave alu floors have a fairly flat vee at the stern and tend to slide a bit until the tubes hit the water. This could explain why you notice cavitation in medium turns, but not so much in tighter turns. Also, if you have a gps-enabled smartphone, you can get a speed reading from that.
PS. Love the Gower, what a great place to start your sibbing experience. Perhaps a trip round to Worms Head would be a good summer trip for you?
thanks for you input. Yes the Gower is lovely. Already had a few good moments. I really am already considering moving to a 3.5m rib though. Not too sure yet though. I am just a bit annoyed at a few things such as; water, sand and algae build up in the hull and the flooring which slows the boat down loads. I had to spend about 45 mins with my face down sponging out water! I just feel it will be a lot easier with a rib- you can use rollers to just roll the rib in to the water, deeper hull with less cavitation etc etc. What do you think guys? I am sure many of you have considered the same decision.
Old 16 March 2013, 11:17   #20

Town: Exeter
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda BF90
If you have space (and trailer) for a solid-hulled rib, there are fewer compromises and no worries about getting the floor pressure right. You might also find the range of lightweight aluminium hulled ribs (not alu floor sib) of interest. I know the Xpro and Highfield brands offer a good selection at good prices. You can view them both at:
www.seaswift.co.uk