Old 24 October 2014, 09:43   #21

Town: Saddleworth
Boat name: Local Hero
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp 3cyl
Tiller or 'cockpit' set-up.

Yes that's a good compromise. I guess I'll just have to try it out. I'd also like to sit a little lower in the boat. Other than on the floor I've not yet come up with any ideas.
Old 24 October 2014, 17:29   #22

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Tiller steering, most people sit on the side tube which is safe in most reasonable conditions.

Console adds weight, sacrifices foldability, but probably improves your ability to handle the boat at high speed. Console may be safer for the pilot who is less likely to fall overboard than sitting on the tube.

I have spent a lot of time on RIBs with consoles and they are great fun. I have spent a lot of time on inflatables up to about (from memory) 4.5 or 5 metres with tiller steering.

A small boat with a console does one thing very well. A small boat with tiller steering is more spacious and versatile.

Personally, I think a tiller is all part of the "boatiness" of a boat.

It boils down to priorities and tastes. If I ever bought a big boat, I would consider a console. For a small boat, never.
Old 24 October 2014, 17:51   #23

Yeah that's all true. Partly why I wanted a tiller, for the simplicity. It's not really a console as such. I don't know the name for it. Teleflex & throttle box I guess. Never gets folded as I have just built a trailer. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1414173087.337561.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	100207
Old 24 October 2014, 20:51   #24

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
That is actually a really nice light setup. Would it be possible to move it back some? (Grommets can be added along the black mounting deal on the top of the boat tube.) That would allow you to put the fuel tank in the bow for weight distribution. With a couple boat seats mounted to an aluminum frame, you would be set!

Old 24 October 2014, 21:18   #25

Boat name: Shibby
Make: Sail Marine
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
I use a 3.3 meter rib with a centre console. As you said it will be on a trailer I can't imagine it being folded to often so it's the same kind of idea as mine. For me it's what you want to do. All I do is cruise up and down Windermere and take photos of sailing races at the sailing club near me, for this the console is great because i find it easier to balance the weight if I am in the middle.(most of the time I am alone) I know it's easy to balance it in a tiller steer but I prefer it. Also I find the driving position to be more comfortable as I am sat straight and not twisted. Having said this I have been fishing with it once or twice and have had more than two people in it and I must admit I did wish I had a tiller at that point.

What I am saying is for me it's whatever you are most comfortable with and what it will be used for.
Old 25 October 2014, 07:14   #26

Thanks Peter that's an idea I've never seen before! Yes it could be moved back as you say but I am restricted by where the bench seats can go. I am planning to incorporate some storage / rod holders into the bench seats but would like them to be lower. Also the steering wheel is offset to allow two up. That said there's no reason the seats couldn't stay if I were to change to a tiller. Decisions decisions!!