Old 12 June 2007, 10:05   #1

Length: no boat
This any good as a first boat?

Would this be a suitable first craft, for getting the basics sorted and before shelling out on something more expensive/serious?

http://chastheboat.boatsandoutboards...18/?xreferer=1

It packs up small enough to go in the back of my car... but without a trailer, how would you launch something like that? 64kg is quite a weight to be lifting about... would I need a slipway to launch it?
Old 12 June 2007, 10:25   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
A slipway nooo you can launch a small boat like that on your own from any beach with one hand tied. Seriously though a small inflatable like that is a doddle to launch and retrieve, wouldn't recommend one though because its like a ride in a bouncy castle with anything other than a pond like sea and practicably unusable in anything close to a moderate sea, why not look for a proper rib second hand for the same money. A rib around 4 meters would be perfect for your first boat, something that is easy to launch, good fun but will handle a moderate sea as well, i'm sure lots of members will give you sound advice on which rib to buy, something like an Avon 4 meter searider would be perfect for your first rib and you could probably pick one up cheaper than a new inflatable.
Old 12 June 2007, 10:38   #3

Cheers for the advice... I do like bouncy castles - but maybe not simultaneously while trying to fish or navigate :P

If I go for a small rib though, I _have_ to have a trailer right? And also have to use slipways?

Oh also - what sort of annual maintenance figures are we talking about for a 4m rib? Ie engine and trailer servicing?

Would I need a new driving licence add-on to put a trailer on my vehicle for that - I passed my driving text about 5 years ago.

Thank you!
Old 12 June 2007, 10:51   #4

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
A SIB like that will get you out on the water and zipping around when its calm.
Put a 25hp 2/stroke on it and you'll be able to waterski and wakeboard off it and it'll be fast enough to put a smile on your face.

Ours was great on lake windermere and great on the coast when we we're just blasting around an estuary and safety boating for a few cats.
If you've got plans for cruising up the coast to other harbours and things then skip the inflatable and get a RIB. It makes a huge difference.
Old 12 June 2007, 11:36   #5

A second hand Rib will almost certainly come with a trailer, as for maintainence most of the work is fairly straight forward i.e wheel bearings once a season, engine checks such as impeller and gearbox oil are all simple tasks. A 4 meter rib is best launched from a slipway but you can get away with some beaches and hard banks, although not recommended for a novice, as for the cost it will cost more to run in fuel but that is all worth it in my view up keep and servicing shouldn't cost much more though. As far as i am aware you will not need anything added to your license for towing a craft of that size, i think the law allows you to tow up to 3.5 tonnes combined vehicle and trailer weight before any special license is needed and 750 kilos unbraked provided that the trailer does not exceed 85% of the towing vehicles weight.
Old 12 June 2007, 11:58   #6

No because he's got his license within the last 9 years I think it is, then strictly speaking he needs to do a B+E or 'trailer towing' test.
A right pain in the arse. And wallet, they are expensive.
Old 12 June 2007, 12:18   #7
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsnox View Post
Would this be a suitable first craft
Yes, something like that would make an excellent first boat.

It wouldn't be suitable for offshore cruising, but in sheltered waters they are great and lots of us here have started with something similar. Launching isn't a problem if there are two of you; if you get some launching wheels to attach to the transom then it's seriously easy.

The Zodiac is at the top end of the price range, but there are cheaper options. The Quicksilver range seem to be very popular at about half the price.

My personal preference would be an inflatable floor like this one, rather than wooden or aluminium floorboards, for ease of assembly (at the expense of a bit of performance). In my experience it can be a real aggravation getting the boards in and out, and the easier it is the more often you're likely to want to use the boat. For the same reason I'd recommend investing in a really good electric inflator like the LVM Hi-speed.

Although this Zodiac will take up to 25hp, a 15hp motor is probably a better all round choice. It will have plenty of power for most use (and if you get seriously into skiing then you'll be changing boat quickly anyway!), but is much easier to manhandle than a 25.

Have fun and let us know how you get on!

John
Old 12 June 2007, 13:19   #8

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
A dissenting voice...

Unless you're certain you'll carry almost no gear in the boat, I'd steer clear of an air floor. For the extra minute it takes to set up a SIB with floorboards and the extra 30-40 lbs of weight, a floor board configuration will be capable of handling about 50% more power, the boat will feel more solid, and will be much more durable than an air floor.

However if you want the absolute least weight possible, and will be bringing absolutely minimal gear the air floor may be the ticket, but you will lose a fair bit of versatility.

With launching wheels, the boat is just that much easier to launch from just about anywhere.
Old 12 June 2007, 13:54   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
I'd steer clear of an air floor
I know that other people agree with you too, but I've just had enough of struggling with floorboards with cold hands at the end of the day. Maybe my Zodiac was particularly bad - it was a real fight to disengage the aluminium stringers from the floorboards.

I've not owned an air floor inflatable, but that will be my choice on the next one I buy. Maybe I'll change my mind again after actually living with it for a while!

John
Old 12 June 2007, 15:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons0 View Post
No because he's got his license within the last 9 years I think it is, then strictly speaking he needs to do a B+E or 'trailer towing' test.
A right pain in the arse. And wallet, they are expensive.
I was led to believe that was only the case if the combined vehicle and trailer weight is in excess of 3.5 tonnes?
Old 12 June 2007, 15:46   #11

For people passed after 1st Jan 1997 you can drive:
Quote:
Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes (category B) with a 750kg trailer (4.25 tonnes total MAM).

Category B vehicles with larger trailers i.e. > 750kg, provided that the combined MAM does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and the gross MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle. To be able to tow combinations outside this ruling requires the passing of an additional test.
Hmm...Looks like you could get away with it then.
So if your trailer is under 750kg MAM then your fine?
Old 12 June 2007, 16:04   #12

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I know that other people agree with you too, but I've just had enough of struggling with floorboards with cold hands at the end of the day. Maybe my Zodiac was particularly bad - it was a real fight to disengage the aluminium stringers from the floorboards.

I've not owned an air floor inflatable, but that will be my choice on the next one I buy. Maybe I'll change my mind again after actually living with it for a while!

John
having only ever owned air floor sibs i would say the air floor is fine for most occassions and is much comfier to sit on than a wood floor, but to me the hard floor s are probably more rigid.

also dont land any bass in your boat as their spines will puncture the floor with tiny tiny little air holes....happend on the bombard aerotec thing.

also check the physical size of the boat when stowed in its bag as my quicksilver 3.4 airdeck fits in the landy td5 just widthways and the engine sits next to it....yam 15hp , i dont think they would fit in a normal car boot to be honest, but would probably fit in an estate or hatch longways

also you will have a prob manhandling a 25hp whereas the 15 is comfortably managable

choose launcing wheels carefully as some work a hell of a lot better than others

hope that helps
Old 12 June 2007, 18:03   #13

Thanks for all the replies

I really was hoping to be able to go on the sea with it in a bit more than just flat calm... so have been looking at 4m Seariders... this one's pretty old but comes with a lot of stuff, what's it worth do you reckon:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/250126138259

?
Old 12 June 2007, 18:08   #14

That looks nice. We had a 1988 Yamaha and it ran faultlessly for 2 years untill we sold the boat. Great engines.
Old 12 June 2007, 18:32   #15
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Good engine-the RNLI used them for years- and the tubes have been refurbished. Go for it. I'd expect it to go for quite a bit over the current bid though.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2007, 18:52   #16

jeffs, wise choice to be looking at ribs rather than inflatables trust me if you buy an inflatable you will only want a rib once you see the difference is sea keeping. The hull on a rib is designed to give you a safe comfortable ride in lumpy seas, with an inflatable you risk being bounced out of the boat if you go to fast in even a mild moderate sea, and i have seen this happen on more than one occasion. The one on ebay looks a good boat but as nos said it will probably go for more money, what is your budget for a boat? i will keep my eye open for you.
Old 12 June 2007, 19:24   #17

I've only _just_ started looking into it to be honest... haven't even organised a tow bar on my car yet... so I've no idea about budget - but didn't want to be splashing (scuse pun) out loads initially on the offchance that when I find out the whole picture, I won't be that keen...

Didn't expect such a positive response regarding that particular boat - was just seeing what you thought... but I'll sleep on it now you've all been so positive about it.

NB. How much is it to fit a towbar on a Toyota Lucida? I've seen some DIY towbar kits on Ebay for about £150... but are they generally difficult to install? Don't they need to be MOT tested or anything?
Old 12 June 2007, 21:01   #18
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsnox View Post
NB. How much is it to fit a towbar on a Toyota Lucida? I've seen some DIY towbar kits on Ebay for about £150... but are they generally difficult to install? Don't they need to be MOT tested or anything?
That seems a bit expensive. From memory I paid about 180 for both of mine (different cars) fully fitted. But took some shopping around. You can DIY fit (no inspection required). If its badly fitted or falling off or anything then it would probably constitute an MoT failure when it is next done (and would therefore make the car unroadworthy - so illegal!)
Old 13 June 2007, 17:38   #19

20 Mins to go on that auction.... and it's up to £1550... is that still good value?

http://search.ebay.co.uk/250126138259
Old 13 June 2007, 17:58   #20

120 seconds. Anyone??!??!?