Old 19 May 2008, 15:16   #21

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Personally I would buy a Corribee sailing boat or an old displacement fishing boat.
Yeah, those fit the guys brief. Why not a Corracle?
Old 19 May 2008, 16:13   #22
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by floater View Post
couple of nice SIBs going through at the moment
Good finds. Any of those look like they could fit the bill.

John
Old 19 May 2008, 16:33   #23

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Yeah, those fit the guys brief. Why not a Corracle?
I had one but it kept going around in circles!!!
Old 19 May 2008, 17:02   #24

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I had one but it kept going around in circles!!!

Try giving the trim-tab an oik on the Suzy, that might help.
Old 19 May 2008, 18:15   #25

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by floater View Post
couple of nice SIBs going through at the moment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zodiac-3-8m-in...d=p3286.c0.m14

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Quicksilver-38...d=p3286.c0.m14

bang on the money with cash to spare i should think

or if your brave enough

how about a Zap cat style

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F178938

you should be able to pick up a avon 400/bombard 420 aerotec/zodiac pro7 6-8 years old for that sort of money

i only paid 3.5k for my first RIB which was a Avon 400 adventure with a 30hp yam 2 stoke all on an indispension trailer and i got 5k for it when i part ex'ed it in 2 years later for the Zodiac

Andy

I'm familiar with all 3 of the boats listed above. The engineering and construction of Gemini GRX 4.2 is vastly superior to that of the zodiac and quicksilver. Its things that normally would not occur to someone new to SIBs, but become apparent once they've had to do alot of maintenance and repairs (and then maintaining those repairs). The various layers and reinforcements that go into the transom/fabric interface of the Gemini Surf GRX are amazing. The hull design of the GRX is also alot more efficient.
Old 24 May 2008, 06:19   #26

Boat name: Chubby Rain 2
Make: Valiant
Engine: Evinrude 70 (RNLI)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ickleric View Post
I am thinking of buying a RIB or maybe a speedboat. If i do i only have maybe £3k to play with.

1). What sort of training or qualifications do you need in order to go out to sea?
2). Can you go out solo to sea, or do you have to make sure at least 2 of you?
3). What equipment do you have to have?
4). Do you think a RIB is better choice than a speed boat?
5). What sort of cost is insurance?

Thanks
I have to say I am pretty new to this game but last year I bought a Bombard 380 Aerotec complete with everything (15Hp, Trailer, Anchor, Flares etc) for less than 3K (have a look on ebay there will be lots of similar)

I had no formal tuition but used loads of common sense.

Had the best family holiday ever down in Swanage took the boat out every day (just about). Tried my hand a fishing (hopeless).

I bought the boat at a price that meant if I didn't really get much fun out of it I coudl sell it on.

I had loads of fun, part of the fun is learning !

Clearly stayed withing site of land at all times, bought decent boyancy aid jacket things, took spare fuel and 2 mobiles (one in a waterproof bag).

Also bought a big waterproof duffle back to stick dry warm clothes in....

I have now uprgade to a bigger boat, cannot wait to get it on the water again. Selling the "learner boat" on ebay and can honestly say that I have really had a load fun getting into this activity

Loads more to learn and I am almost certin to go on a 2 day lever 2 course.

Rib net has been a tremendous source of help throughout....
Old 24 May 2008, 08:42   #27
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton View Post
5). What sort of cost is insurance?

About 2% of the boats value per year
that may be true - but for the sort of budget ikleric is planning to spend it may be ambitious. Mine is more like 5% of a boat in the sort of range that he is interested in (thats for a fairly comprehensive policy).
Old 24 May 2008, 15:03   #28

Length: no boat
it looks like i'm probably going to go for a fletcher speed boat with something like a 75hp. I thought about the SIBs but i want something a bit quicker, i would have gone for a proper RIB but can't afford one yet. Now the fletcher speed boats are around 16ft, are these ok for going up and coasts. Are they safe enough in the sea?
Old 24 May 2008, 16:46   #29
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
it looks like i'm probably going to go for a fletcher speed boat with something like a 75hp. I thought about the SIBs but i want something a bit quicker, i would have gone for a proper RIB but can't afford one yet. Now the fletcher speed boats are around 16ft, are these ok for going up and coasts. Are they safe enough in the sea?
ickleric - if I were you I would start off by keeping your money (or most of it) in your pocket for now and find yourself a friendly training centre. book on a Powerboat Level 2 course (cost probably about £200?). You will then have the skills to handle the boat - but more importantly you will get a feel for what you might want to do with the boat. And these sort of discussions can be had with the instructor(s) on the course.

Bear in mind that 20 knots in a small boat feels a lot faster than 30 knots in a bigger boat - so if its sensation of speed (rather than simply time from A-B) you want then a small(er) boat & engine may not be as "sedate" as you think.
Old 24 May 2008, 17:05   #30

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Yes they are great as long as you don't go too far out. A mate of mine had a little 13' for years - swopped it for a laptop. He had great fun it it as did his 3 kids.

I had my first speedboat when I was 10 - me and my 7yr old brother often took it out on our own - great fun - wonder what the Nannies would think of that - no lifejackets either!!!
Old 24 May 2008, 17:38   #31

Length: no boat
yeah i was going to do the level 2 powerboat training 1st so i at least know the basics and also get an idea what its like.
Old 24 May 2008, 19:00   #32
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Have a look here

There's a few small ones there worth a look-the Seariders and the ribtec.

If you can get a rib it'll be far more forgiving to learn on.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2008, 09:47   #33

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Just be careful to make sure that any RIB you are interested in is a RIB, before travelling any distance or shelling out any cash.

As per a recent thread on here, this 'Searider' is anything but:

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/SIM721

Not that it is a bad boat, but it is a SIB, not a RIB.

And the number of 'yes it is a RIB it has rigid wooden floorboards above its inflatable keel' sellers has to be seen to be believed.

Like when buying a second hand car, try and get someone knowledgeable about boats to go along with you to check out any boats you are interested in.

Cheers

Chris
Old 26 May 2008, 10:06   #34

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
that may be true - but for the sort of budget ikleric is planning to spend it may be ambitious. Mine is more like 5% of a boat in the sort of range that he is interested in (thats for a fairly comprehensive policy).
Alternatively if you are not spending a lot on the boat, just insure it 3rd party. I have a ye olde 470 dingy that I was quoted 105% of what I paid for it for fully comp! I reckoned if it got trashed, I'd use the money I saved by insuring 3rd party only to buy another one.

3rd party only on a powerboat is pretty much a linear relationship of cost to horsepower. And as Polwart says, 15 Knots when you're 6" off the surface on a small boat feels like about 800 knots on anything else! So if you get a small boat the insurance will be cheap to insure and you still get the buzz.....

Whatever you do, make sure you are at least 3rd party covered.
Old 26 May 2008, 11:15   #35
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Insurance

Alternatively if you are not spending a lot on the boat, just insure it 3rd party. I have a ye olde 470 dingy that I was quoted 105% of what I paid for it for fully comp! I reckoned if it got trashed, I'd use the money I saved by insuring 3rd party only to buy another one.

3rd party only on a powerboat is pretty much a linear relationship of cost to horsepower. And as Polwart says, 15 Knots when you're 6" off the surface on a small boat feels like about 800 knots on anything else! So if you get a small boat the insurance will be cheap to insure and you still get the buzz.....

Whatever you do, make sure you are at least 3rd party covered.
Agreed - My boat would cost me £4-5k to replace. I couldn't afford that so with out comprehensive insurance my boating would be over for 2 or 3 years if it got nicked/sunk etc. I can, and do insure it for about £200 a year. But - at the very bottom end of the scale it may just not be worth insuring boats full comp, just as with some cars.
Old 26 May 2008, 21:35   #36

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
There are probably more speedboats out there at the weekends than any other fast boat , because they are cheap and fast . But they never seem to go far probably because of the cost of fuel .

I think the main consideration is running costs ,if you re on a tight budget an older 75hp 2 stroke is probably going to cost you about 2 litres a mile . or an average day out ie trip to the beach and a short cruise approx 30 miles £60 or more plus 2 stroke oil. If you do any water skiing or flat out runs for fun then its probably going to cost even more .

I expect all the carbed 2 stroke owners will reply now with amazing fuel consumption claims
Old 27 May 2008, 00:41   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
I expect all the carbed 2 stroke owners will reply now with amazing fuel consumption claims
Not from me. I would probably use about 60% of the fuel if I had a similarly powered 4 stroke or a DI 2 stroke.

However;

I bought my 9 year old Yamaha 40 hp carb'd 2 stroke last summer for $1400 CAN (~ 700 pounds).

It is in perfect running condition and has seen nothing but fresh water for it's entire existence, so it's got alot of life still ahead of it.

If I were to have purchased a new Honda BF 40/50 or an ETEC 40/50/60/65, I would have had to spend an additional $7000 - $8000 to acquire one.

At today's gas prices here, that is about 6000 liters of fuel.

An average 2 day weekend fishing trip would involve a round trip of about 90 miles (some less and some alot more), which would consume about 60 liters of gas (about 1.5 miles/liter).

That means I can go on 100 weekend fishing trips funded completely by the money that I've saved by not buying the new highly efficient motor. Given that we have a 20 week boating season, that is 5 years worth of trips simply to cover the cost of a new engine and not even accounting for the additional cost of fuelling a new 4 stroke or DI 2 stroke outboard.

I doubt that the ongoing maintenance costs of a 9 year old, bone simple, carb'd 2 stroke would run up any higher those of a new, but far more complex 4 stroke or DI 2 stroke.

Older carb'd 2 strokes are nowhere near as fuel efficient as the 4 & DI 2 strokes, but they can be much more economical, especially for non-commercial applications.
Old 27 May 2008, 01:58   #38

I should add that there may be some compelling reasons to change over to a 4 stroke aor a DI 2 stroke, such as having a greater range for a given amount of fuel being hauled, quieter operation, or that you simply need a new motor because the existing one is DOA. But to change over from a perfect running carb'd 2 stroke to a 4 str or DI 2 str, for the sake of economy, requires a very substantial amount of usage.