Old 05 February 2012, 16:23   #21

Town: Sompting
Make: quicksilver 310
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15HP
lovely looking boat that, can you not swap the wooden floor for the ali floor to make it lighter
Old 06 February 2012, 12:47   #22

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
One thought with regard to the trolley.

Could you emopty the boat, turn it over, find a nice sheet of poythene & then mould a hull shaped cradle, possibly with small 45 degree "wings", for it to sit in?

I am thinking if you are launching (or arguably more difficult - recovering) in waves, it means there is not only a bit of "self centreing" but if it lands a couple of inches to the left or right you don't run the risk of the keel support(s) going straight through the hull 1/4" to the left of the keel.....
Old 06 February 2012, 12:55   #23

Town: chesterfield
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 30
Im not lucky enough to be using the boat that often that it reqires a cradle
It will be 2 weeks in August from a shetered bay and a week in June in Devon same again.
The problem i have is it must all be light weight and transportable due to me towing a touring caravan.
The uprights that catch the transom have a base plate welded to them that in turn have a sacrificial piece of decking 6" wide and 18" long (grass covered too) so i do have a little to play with also due to me taking the kids out as well if its to choppy we wouldnt be going out.(so the wife says anyway)
Old 09 February 2012, 17:48   #24

Town: Coppull / Lligwy bay.
Boat name: Summer Blues
Make: Ribquest
Engine: Suzuki DF 90
MMSI: 235092012
hello there, see you've managed to design and build your launching trolley, looks good, one thing to bear in mind is the recovery aspect, launching is quick and easy but the latter needs to be as simple and as easy as possible (when you have three kids and a wife chomping at you) as already mentioned regarding lining up etc, i had the Yam 380 and now i have a ribquest 5.3 (ribquest is easier to launch and recover by far) but my Yam 380 was more practical at the time (caravan dragger as well) happy caravaning / boating.
Old 09 February 2012, 18:20   #25

Thanks Shaun
Your pictures really helped.
Since i took the last pictures ive been trialing a rotating(and locking)keal locator.I was thinking if i could rotate it through 45deg i could then put the boat on an angle then lift the rear and drop it on the transom brace then lock the keal locator in place.
If that makes sense
Old 09 February 2012, 20:24   #26

looking forward to pic's showing actual build and rough explanation, looks and sounds good, always have a plan B ready just in case when you are actually undergoing task, sometimes the simple things work out better (like i've found out over time) looks like you will have a bit of interest from fellow shed draggers, I'll try and sort something out next week regarding the design i saw in france (my son has offered to do google sketch drawings) i will send to you asap for you to look over.
Old 09 February 2012, 20:36   #27

I will show detailed pics when its all finished just got to weld the axle on now.
I will also get some dimensions down on paper then if any fellow sibers want them the hard bits done.
Yours looked like it was made from stainless Shaun but we dont have welding facilitys for that or the free box section come to think of it.
Old 09 February 2012, 20:50   #28

yes, stainless (free, 100%discount) was used but there is the obvious weight difference, once your happy with final build / dimensions (get in touch and i'll try and sort something out?) with regards to your existing launch trailer are they neumatic tyers, if so (light trailer / air in tyers = float) sorry for bringing problems, just here to help.
Old 09 February 2012, 20:57   #29

That did cross my mind as i have used plastic launch wheels 16" and put 2 on either side to try and stop it sinking in the soft sand.
When its all galved up i will take it for a practice float in the local pond when no-ones about,Im fairly confident it will sink though.
We have a draughtsman at work and i could get it put on autocad easy enough.
Old 09 February 2012, 21:05   #30

i'll drop a note over the weekend either on the forum/ e-mail.