Old 22 July 2017, 09:23   #1

Length: 7m +
Tender for Rib?

Looking for a small inflatable to take with us on the Rib so we can row ashore when anchoring. Been looking at some but not sure weather to go air floor or slats, slats looks like a better option but will probably be harder to set up and also to store on the Rib when taking it with us. Will probably have to inflate/deflate and pack away when not using so needs to be quick and easy to do onboard. I did think about setting it up before setting off and strapping it to the bow of the Rib but not sure if that would work? Don't want to add an engine just use the oars.
Any ideas?
Old 22 July 2017, 10:20   #2

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I've been looking into a similar thing except I decided that I would have an engine as well so it would double up as an auxiliary engine.

I ended up with a Zodiac 3.4m with a 15HP outboard which should propel my Pac 22 in the (likely) event the main propulsion stops working. It has an air floor.

There is a SIB's on Ebay thread running which is quite good. If you buy an outboard plus SIB, you could always sell the outboard separately. It seems that this is the a good way of getting a cheap SIB.
Old 22 July 2017, 10:27   #3

Cheers GuyC, Do you take yours with you already set up or do you inflate every time.? 3.4mt seems a bit big to haul around any problems?
Old 22 July 2017, 12:30   #4

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: TwoGees
Make: Ribtec
Engine: Mercruiser diesel
Hi
I carry a wetline 1.8m. Smallest proper inflatable I could find. Will carry two at a push, but I drop folk off on shore and then use it to row in once I have anchored. Tend to keep it inflated and carry it on the engine housing, but easy to deflate and roll up. Slatted floor
George
Old 22 July 2017, 14:30   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
Hi

I carry a wetline 1.8m. Smallest proper inflatable I could find. Will carry two at a push, but I drop folk off on shore and then use it to row in once I have anchored. Tend to keep it inflated and carry it on the engine housing, but easy to deflate and roll up. Slatted floor

George

+1[emoji106] perfect for the job imo. Packs up small, 5mins max from bag to water.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1320.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	120891
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 14:55   #6

RIBase
I've currently got a tender similar to the wetline and as georgec does, I drop the family ashore, anchor up and then row in. After using that method for a bit, we decided that we would like a bigger tender to get the four of us in it and that combined with wanting an auxiliary engine pushed me down the route of the 3.4.

I haven't tried my 3.4 in anger but as the RIB is a diesel inboard, the intention is to store it deflated on the engine box.

Time will tell whether the faff is too great but it will also give us the option of letting the kids go exploring in the SIB.
Old 22 July 2017, 15:27   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
I've currently got a tender similar to the wetline and as georgec does, I drop the family ashore, anchor up and then row in. After using that method for a bit, we decided that we would like a bigger tender to get the four of us in it and that combined with wanting an auxiliary engine pushed me down the route of the 3.4.

I haven't tried my 3.4 in anger but as the RIB is a diesel inboard, the intention is to store it deflated on the engine box.

Time will tell whether the faff is too great but it will also give us the option of letting the kids go exploring in the SIB.

I'd be tempted to get an electric pump plumbed in the engine bay with a take off on the outside.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 22 July 2017, 17:20   #8

Town: London
A tender for a rib? Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. What's wrong with beaching the boat? I use an inflatable SUP when I need to leave it on a mooring.
Old 22 July 2017, 18:23   #9

Town: Wirral, Merseyside
Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Evinrude 200hp
MMSI: 235109239
RIBase
We had to buy a tender to land on a remote Scottish Island nature reserve, where boats with locker space and therefore possibly rats could not land otherwise the ecological balance of the island would be disturbed, so a good reason for having a tender on a rib Mike.
We got a 3D Superlight, the lightest tender on the market at 10kgs. It carries four people and we've also had 150 litres of fuel in plastic containers with two people (no smoking). We got a Suzuki DF2.5 which is ultra light too. The tender can be strapped down on the front of the rib but you lose that space. It takes five mins to inflate from flat using a small cheap electric pump which goes in the 12v socket then firm it up with the foot pump. Best thing we've ever purchased. We use it all the time on Scotland to get to our rib which is on a mooring when we holiday there. Good luck in choosing.
Old 22 July 2017, 18:38   #10

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew4 View Post
A tender for a rib? Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. What's wrong with beaching the boat? I use an inflatable SUP when I need to leave it on a mooring.

Tides kids rocks all of that and constantly having to check it doesn't need lines slacking off or tightening. As opposed to putting on a mooring and pulling a tender that can be handled by one person up a beach/rocky shore. Peace of mind is priceless imho
Old 22 July 2017, 19:19   #11

RIBase
Quote:

Probably not much need for one in the Thames estuary & around the south coast. When you get more adventurous however........
Old 22 July 2017, 20:21   #12

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
We use a tender all the time, wouldn't be without one. 2.4 zodiac, rolls up and fits in a forward locker nicely. Use a high volume 12v pump to inflate finishing off with a foot pump for the final psi, takes 2 mins. Just replaced our tender petrol outboard with a torqeedo electric one, bloody brilliant bit of kit, store in a bag and no petrol or oils to leak, not forgetting no pull-starting as well .
We don't beach the rib so the tender is out most weekends, pic shows the zodiac rolled up on fore deck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3049.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	120912  
Old 22 July 2017, 21:10   #13

Quote:
I,d rather not damage the hull, there is no keel guard or any sort of protection. Mostly shingle where I would beach.
Old 22 July 2017, 22:22   #14

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil and Jane View Post
We had to buy a tender to land on a remote Scottish Island nature reserve, where boats with locker space and therefore possibly rats could not land otherwise the ecological balance of the island would be disturbed, so a good reason for having a tender on a rib Mike.
We got a 3D Superlight, the lightest tender on the market at 10kgs. It carries four people and we've also had 150 litres of fuel in plastic containers with two people (no smoking). We got a Suzuki DF2.5 which is ultra light too. The tender can be strapped down on the front of the rib but you lose that space. It takes five mins to inflate from flat using a small cheap electric pump which goes in the 12v socket then firm it up with the foot pump. Best thing we've ever purchased. We use it all the time on Scotland to get to our rib which is on a mooring when we holiday there. Good luck in choosing.

Small point but I feel I need to know if I'm talking to Phil or Jane
Old 22 July 2017, 23:47   #15

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
I've just returned from a trip where I needed to anchor 200m from the shoreline, I used a small blow-up inflatable to get myself back to shore after dropping my crew off from my main rib.

200m seemed a long way to paddle just on dark with 3-5m tiger sharks cruising he shallows. The light 10-15kt winds made controlling the small blow up extremely hard especially heading into chop where I soon filled with water. Hitting any shallow corals was also on my mind at all times, not just because of punctures but more to do with having to try and swim the rest of the way to shore over the top of shallow coral.

For my next trip I will take a small kayak and give up on the inflatable idea.
Old 23 July 2017, 06:02   #16
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhitchuk View Post
Small point but I feel I need to know if I'm talking to Phil or Jane
They're gonna just pick a name at random to keep you happy. I do.

willk
Old 23 July 2017, 06:03   #17

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I got an Avon 8. Tough little thing, hypalon of course, twin chambers and inflates with a foot pump in minutes. Stores down into a drawstring bag.

Not light, possible 20kg. Can of Tennants for scale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	120913  
Old 23 July 2017, 06:58   #18

Town: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil and Jane View Post
Interesting. What Scottish island is this? Asking as keen to know more.
Old 23 July 2017, 07:11   #19

RIBase
Quote:
Beaching on a rising tide means you either have to keep re-beaching it or accept that you may need to wade / swim to it when you return.

Beaching on a falling tide means you are committed to staying until the tide has returned. If you arrived 5 minutes before low water, that might mean 10 minutes. If you arrived 5 minutes after high water, you aren't leaving for nearly twelve hours.

Then you have to factor in any waves which will cause your boat to bounce on the bottom, the bottom itself which may be sand (good), rock (less good), mud (unpleasant).

SUP - I can't SUP for a start and carrying the family, BBQ, tent, water and all the other bits that make staying on a little, uninhabited island more pleasant is potentially quite difficult on a SUP.

In short I don't think a tender for a RIB is "pretty ridiculous". I'll report back at some point whether a 3.4 with a 15HP outboard is too much faff.

I like PD's idea of a plumbed in electric pump.
Old 23 July 2017, 07:27   #20

RIBase
Quote:
Interesting. What Scottish island is this? Asking as keen to know more.
St Kilda is one that I know of and co-incidentally it is the same neck of the woods (Monach Isles) that I am basing my thoughts on.

Tags
rib