Old 07 June 2008, 12:12   #1

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Tender

This may seem like a silly question but I have got out the little 2m Inflatable I bought to get to shore from the RIB and started setting it up. There are two D rings, one on either side of the bow, instead of a central one a la RIB.
Are these sort of setups normally rigged with a bridle or similiar? Anybody got pics or know what the norm is?
Old 07 June 2008, 12:48   #2

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
For towing you should use a bridle not a single point in the middle!
My little round tail tender is the same with no center D ring or handle!
Old 07 June 2008, 13:39   #3

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Most of the ones I have looked at seem to have both a centre point and rings on either side of the bow.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 June 2008, 13:48   #4

I am not going to tow more than a couple of hundred yards, will inflate and use to get to shore when going to beaches rather than use drysuits.
Drysuits are fine but very warm and sweaty on the days I want to go out and have a barbie! The dinghy means I don't need them most of the time.
There are two rings only, one on each side of the bow. Unless there is a better method I am just going to splice a long length into one and then a short length to the other and into the long one to make a bridle with a long painter.
Was just wondering if there was a recommended method usually used?
Old 07 June 2008, 14:13   #5

I have done the same to my last 2 Sib but with the added line from the bow handle!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-6.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	35234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-8.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	35235  
Old 07 June 2008, 14:38   #6

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
This may seem like a silly question but I have got out the little 2m Inflatable I bought to get to shore from the RIB and started setting it up. There are two D rings, one on either side of the bow, instead of a central one a la RIB.
Are these sort of setups normally rigged with a bridle or similiar? Anybody got pics or know what the norm is?
Mine is the same, I run a short line from one to the other to make a bridle and then tie the real tow line to that. It also simplifies tying up to a bollard, just pull the short one over the top of a cleat.
Old 07 June 2008, 16:10   #7

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
If it's a must, you could inquiry in marine stores, for a Prow Super D'ring, comes with patch as a unit. It's used to place an anchor line or as a lifting handle, you won't see them in small boats many often, will depend on the manufacturer will to place or not. If you opt to place, let a skilled person do it, as you will require a fabric cleaner solvent to prepare gluing point and proper 2 part mix PVC high quality glue to bond well and last.

Happy Boating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Super D'ring.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	35237  
Old 07 June 2008, 16:22   #8

I think I will start again, possibly the original question wasn't entirely clear.
I have a small 2m inflatable, bought just to get from the RIB to shore on remote sites as beaches can have lots of rocks around this way. The intention would be to anchor the RIB in slightly deeper water (3m+ tides around here) so that I don't have to worry about it grounding on an outgoing tide if we are ashore for a while. Since it is too deep to wade the little sib is the way to shore.
I won't be towing it any distance (couple of hundred yards max at slow speed)
I need a painter of some description in case I need to tie it up (RIB on mooring or whatever) or stick in a grapnel anchor for whatever reason.
There are two rings on the bow, either side. What would be the norm for making a painter? One side only? One side with the other side spliced into main line? A bridle between the two and a rope tied to it to use as a painter?
At the moment I am intending to splice a long rope into one side as a painter with a short rope spliced into the other ring and spliced into the long line about 3ft along to give a bridle attached to a long painter. The painter will be attached to both points via the splice and be a bridle type attachment
I just wonder if there is a better method that a yottie here would know of or is this the usual method?
Old 07 June 2008, 16:26   #9

Quote:
At the moment I am intending to splice a long rope into one side as a painter with a short rope spliced into the other ring and spliced into the long line about 3ft along to give a bridle attached to a long painter. The painter will be attached to both points via the splice and be a bridle type attachment

Works for me!
Old 09 June 2008, 07:49   #10

Town: Bristol
Boat name: n/a
Make: Honwave T35AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke
or another option would be to use a ski bridle, something like this

That way you could be sure to pull evenly from both sides of the boat
Old 09 June 2008, 08:49   #11

Town: Fleet
Boat name: Hudson
Make: Ribeye Sport
Engine: Yamaha 150
Quote:
I just wonder if there is a better method that a yottie here would know of or is this the usual method?
Definately a very neat / seamanlike approach!

It's probably going to be a bit fiddly to get the eye-splices to D rings exactly balanced on each of the Y branches. I might be tempted to just use bowlines here so you can adjust the bridle as things bed in. But not perhaps as neat.
Old 09 June 2008, 08:52   #12

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
Quote:
A bridle between the two and a rope tied to it to use as a painter?
I spliced a bridle between the two rings and then spliced a 10m painter with a nylon thimble onto the bridle. This works fine whether attached to a grapnel or being used as a tow rope (obviously doesn't have to be spliced, but I enjoyed doing it !).
Old 09 June 2008, 12:03   #13

I did it last night as I had described. making them even was easy as the splice just gets put in at the right point.
I now have a painter about 3m long which splits a few feet forward on the bow and is spliced into both rings.
No knots or clips in evidence, looks OK to me.
Old 09 June 2008, 22:13   #14

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
I did it last night as I had described. making them even was easy as the splice just gets put in at the right point.
I now have a painter about 3m long which splits a few feet forward on the bow and is spliced into both rings.
No knots or clips in evidence, looks OK to me.
I'm sure you've done the right thing - proper seamanlike. My little 1.8m has 3 D rings, so I just use the centre one. Never had a tender without a centre attachment point. Even with your arrangement I think it will be slightly more difficult to manoeuvre alongside using the painter. Hardly a real problem. It'll be an accountant who 'designed out' the centre ring.