Old 16 February 2011, 18:00   #1

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Taking water?

Hi all ,may be floating my Sib for the first time ,well for me it its, an old one as some people might remember,fixed most punctures, there are a few small slow ones that take a few days to show.MY MAIN QUESTION IS,,,,,think there may be a few very small holes on the deck,would it fill up fast?would i still float? thinking on the later that i proberly would,and is a foot type pump the way to go bailing water out,like a bilge pump?,but that would probely
hard to fit on an inflatable,handle type? and with the alloy deck WOULD I DRILL A HOLE THROUGH THE DECK TO FIT THE TUBE IN?WOULD I HAVE ENOUGH SUCTION ,DECK PINCHING ON THE HYPALON FLOOR? as i pump out.I know lots of questions,hope i can get help Regards,SHANE
Old 16 February 2011, 18:46   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
'bout ye cuz'!

Do you really want to pump water out of an inflatable?

A coupla thoughts...

1. We used to dive out of one, I don't recall bailing it - I reckon there was a transom drain with a tethered bung and there are some clever drains available now. Of course, it would have to plane...

2. It won't sink if it fills. I recall returning to shore on an inflatable with the fuel can being held up to stop it floating away - water up to the transom...

3. Fix the leaks! Set her up and pour some water in - see where it runs out from.
Old 16 February 2011, 19:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
'bout ye cuz'!

Do you really want to pump water out of an inflatable?

A coupla thoughts...

1. We used to dive out of one, I don't recall bailing it - I reckon there was a transom drain with a tethered bung and there are some clever drains available now. Of course, it would have to plane...

2. It won't sink if it fills. I recall returning to shore on an inflatable with the fuel can being held up to stop it floating away - water up to the transom...

3. Fix the leaks! Set her up and pour some water in - see where it runs out from.
Many thanks for the info,excellent,reckon with the self bailers down she should empty as well?
Old 16 February 2011, 20:06   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
Many thanks for the info,excellent,reckon with the self bailers down she should empty as well?
Oh, if she has them and she planes, of course she'll empty. If you ship more water than she'll plane with, then you'll need to hand bail a bit first, an anchor bucket works well. If your anchor bucket has drain holes in, glue a flap of lino/whatever into the base (hinged) so it works as a bailer too.
Old 16 February 2011, 20:33   #5

Quote:
Oh, if she has them and she planes, of course she'll empty. If you ship more water than she'll plane with, then you'll need to hand bail a bit first, an anchor bucket works well. If your anchor bucket has drain holes in, glue a flap of lino/whatever into the base (hinged) so it works as a bailer too.
Excellent idea,will go for that.
Old 16 February 2011, 20:42   #6

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
My transom seams really started to leak while fishing in a remote location. I guess they didn't like trailing down dirt roads. The fishing was awesome so we didn't notice until water was sloshing around our feet as we drifted. I unfastened my battery box and plunked it on the bench to keep it from being submerged. The boat may float, but watch your gas tank vent and battery connections if you start to take on water! Bailing and having to paddle home across The Bar would have been a bad thing.

Dang Willk, I cut the drain holes in my anchor bucket on the side! I am definitely going to replace that with the bottom hole and flap version. That is a solid suggestion. My current small bailer is a lot of work for little reward. Thank you for the tip.
Old 16 February 2011, 20:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelson View Post
My transom seams really started to leak while fishing in a remote location. I guess they didn't like trailing down dirt roads. The fishing was awesome so we didn't notice until water was sloshing around our feet as we drifted. I unfastened my battery box and plunked it on the bench to keep it from being submerged. The boat may float, but watch your gas tank vent and battery connections if you start to take on water! Bailing and having to paddle home across The Bar would have been a bad thing.

Dang Willk, I cut the drain holes in my anchor bucket on the side! I am definitely going to replace that with the bottom hole and flap version. That is a solid suggestion. My current small bailer is a lot of work for little reward. Thank you for the tip.
Good point there on the battery set up and petrol tank,defo don t wanna blow my GPS and fish finder,bugger the batts and have water in my petrol tank ,many thanks another thing to think about.
Old 16 February 2011, 20:55   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Haven't you got elephants trunks Thorny?I thought you did

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2011, 21:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Yes mate i have,im gonna fit the cleats and rope to them this wk end, im just a little paranoid with getting on an old sib,my small one was brand new,altho this one is built to life boat standards she is well old,and has had a fair few punctures,still trying to find the slow ones,stays up a good few days,and i will find them,just gonna take me a little time to trust her,best way to be i suppose so it will be in very shallow water to start with,very excited tho,forgot to say ,SHE IS AT THE VARNE BOAT CLUB,IM A MEMEMBER.AND SHE IS STORED IN THE YARD ,SO PLENTY OF ROOM TO REALLY WORK ON HER.
Old 16 February 2011, 21:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Yes mate i have,im gonna fit the cleats and rope to them this wk end, im just a little paranoid with getting on an old sib,my small one was brand new,altho this one is built to life boat standards she is well old,and has had a fair few punctures,still frying to fond the slow ones,stays up a good few days,and i will find them,just gonna take me a little time to trust her,best way to be i suppose so it will be in very shallow water to start with,very excited tho,forgot to say ,SHE IS AT THE VARNE BOAT CLUB,IM A MEMBER.AND SHE IS STORED IN THE YARD ,SO PLENTY OF ROOM TO REALLY WORK ON HER.
Old 17 February 2011, 06:57   #11

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
I get water on board while beachin because of waves breaking.

I do not think we are going to sink! I agree the boat is more stable with water.
The main problem is the boat behaves as if there was someone more on board, so it is slower.

I use a cheap hand pump to take the water from between the floor and hull. Easy you can get 80 litres there and more. The drain is not enough for that.
Old 17 February 2011, 22:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurro View Post
I get water on board while beachin because of waves breaking.

I do not think we are going to sink! I agree the boat is more stable with water.
The main problem is the boat behaves as if there was someone more on board, so it is slower.

I use a cheap hand pump to take the water from between the floor and hull. Easy you can get 80 litres there and more. The drain is not enough for that.
Many thanks for your advice,A foot pump makes LOT OF SENSE.
Old 18 February 2011, 10:07   #13

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
Well also this is not your case, but I'm making a bow sprayhood to minimize water from waves when beaching and keeping things dry.

But that's for the summer, by then I'll post a pic.
Old 21 February 2011, 06:43   #14

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Actually, it doesn't. You need enough forward motion to displace enough water behind the transom to get the water level inside higher, and it should drain.

Quote:
My transom seams really started to leak while fishing in a remote location. I guess they didn't like trailing down dirt roads. The fishing was awesome so we didn't notice until water was sloshing around our feet as we drifted. I unfastened my battery box and plunked it on the bench to keep it from being submerged. The boat may float, but watch your gas tank vent and battery connections if you start to take on water!
Hi, Kelson;

On one dive we had enough waves breaking over the bow to flood the deck and completely submerge the battery. This happened while we were down. Got people and gear back in the boat, and before resorting to pull starting, hit the starter button, and it fired right up. Surprised, I shut it down and tried again, and it was like nothing was wrong. I dodn't worry too much about submerging the battery after that.

jky
Old 22 February 2011, 16:34   #15

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Well, that is sort of comforting jyasaki. Just how conductive is sea water? Obviously not as much as I thought! I can see how that type of event might not blow a fuse since the ground would be direct between the posts. I'm still not sure if I could just ignore the battery if I saw it was submerged. But it would be nice not to feel that I need to strap the battery to my bench top when we cross a bar or round the point dodging waves. It is a bit of a hassle.

I did stuff my fuse block high up in my zodiac console just to make sure those connections didn't get shorted if I get swamped by a wave. My tank vent is as high as possible to.

I must admit that I think I am getting better at avoiding getting caught in the kelp while set waves loom
Old 22 February 2011, 18:22   #16

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Quote:
im just a little paranoid with getting on an old sib,my small one was brand new,altho this one is built to life boat standards she is well old,and has had a fair few punctures,
TBH I am suprised your even thinking about putting to Sea in a vessel with known faults, it's like driving a car that has faulty brakes. ( I know thorney you dont drive)
Old 22 February 2011, 18:52   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbypower View Post
( I know thorney you dont drive)
I bet he drives his missus mental...

Srsly tho - I wouldn't sweat a few leaks in a SIB/RIB. The engine would be a much more serious issue. So long as the Thornycraft has a pump and a roll of duct tape, it should survive. I'd consider bringing a few small puncture plugs and one clamshell seal. The deck/floor is neither here nor there - bring a bailer and she'll be right.
Old 23 February 2011, 20:09   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbypower View Post
TBH I am suprised your even thinking about putting to Sea in a vessel with known faults, it's like driving a car that has faulty brakes. ( I know thorney you dont drive)
As said it takes Days, weeks to go down,and NO i am not going to sea in a faulty boat,if you read the post correctly you would see,its not been in the water yet,i will have a bilge pump and boat will be tested as said before putting to sea, THANKYOU FOR YOUR NEGATIVE COMMENTS
Old 23 February 2011, 20:19   #19

Quote:
I bet he drives his missus mental...

Srsly tho - I wouldn't sweat a few leaks in a SIB/RIB. The engine would be a much more serious issue. So long as the Thornycraft has a pump and a roll of duct tape, it should survive. I'd consider bringing a few small puncture plugs and one clamshell seal. The deck/floor is neither here nor there - bring a bailer and she'll be right.
Cheers mate,i carry clam shell ,puncture kit on my smalll set up and will on the 4m one,and yes it is only the floor i am thinking of leaking wise,can t see any holes,just wanted to get Positive advise ,which i have got,engine will definalty be serviced and right ,if not its not going to sea,ill scrap it ,i would never go out in a dodgy engine,spoke to my club commadore who is a RNLI crew man and he even said thre RIB looses some air sometimes,out side air pressure can also effect it,especialy hot weather
Old 23 February 2011, 21:03   #20

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Quote:
As said it takes Days, weeks to go down,and NO i am not going to sea in a faulty boat,if you read the post correctly you would see,its not been in the water yet,i will have a bilge pump and boat will be tested as said before putting to sea, THANKYOU FOR YOUR NEGATIVE COMMENTS
I DID read you post and it was this "think there may be a few very small holes on the deck,would it fill up fast?" that I was more aware of!!
Comments were NOT negative more of an observation !!! but was obviously lost !!