Old 22 May 2013, 11:53   #1

Taking my Honwave to Spain

Hi all,

Another new guy here, looking for advice before playtime.

I recently bought a T40 Honwave, Air floor, and have bought a 15hp older Evinrude, but with no kill chord.

I am taking our caravan down to a campsite for 3 weeks, and planned on taking the inflatable and engine also.

I was looking forward to having the odd day out in the Honwave for a bit of "beach to beach" sailing.

I have the two lifejackets, one each, and first aid kit, and oars, what else would can folk suggest?

What registration, either here in UK, or there in Spain (south of Barcelona, near Vilanova) would I need.

I did have powerfull ski boats, many years ago, 20 years ago actually, when rules and regulations were probably no where near as enforced or required now, so not "new to the water" so to speak.

It is just the "What do I need in Spain" that I am mostly looking for advice on.

Gra.
Old 22 May 2013, 12:05   #2

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
I would get a kill switch and cord fitted to the engine. A chart of the area you are boating in is handy so you can navigate and also spot dangers under the water (rocks, wrecks, sandbanks, etc). Hand bearing compass is useful for navigation. Handheld VHF to call for assistance. Maybe an orange smoke flare as well.

I guess you will need an ICC certificate for Spain, but no qualification is mandatory in the UK.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2013, 12:22   #3

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Can I please ask a few more questions?

How does one go about getting "ICC certificate " ?
Good idea to get a kill switch fitted.
Would I be best buying some charts on arrival in the area, or buy in UK?
We only plan on going no more than a couple of hundred meters from shoreline, and I really wouldn't want to lose sight of terra firma!, but a compas is cheap, and doesn't take up a whole lot of space.

Gra.
Old 22 May 2013, 13:33   #4

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Get a portable GPS and mark launching position, just in case, along with recommended safety items.

Happy Boating
Old 22 May 2013, 13:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Get a portable GPS and mark launching position, just in case, along with recommended safety items.

Happy Boating

Now why didn't i think of that, "HOME"

What a great idea.

Gra.
Old 22 May 2013, 14:15   #6

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
If you have an RYA powerboat level 2 certificate the RYA will issue an ICC if you fill out the ICC application form.

If you do not have RYA pb2 you should be able to take the ICC practical test at an RYA training centre. Best to check with the Spanish authorities if they require an ICC before going to any expense.

GPS is very useful but not essential, depends how much cash you want to spend.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2013, 15:01   #7

Town: london
Boat name: Yo-Yo
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 300
I think you will need the same as any other craft that floats on the water in Spain (a right pain in the @ss), but the RYA have web pages on the stuff.

Boating Abroad | Information & Advice | RYA

Good luck.
Old 22 May 2013, 16:36   #8

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
The most important thing to keep the Spanish Authorities off your back is to get the boat UK registered, it only needs to be Part 3 Small Ships Register (SSR). This costs £25 for 5 years and you need to put a small set of numbers on your transom and I would also fly a UK red ensign and a Spanish courtesy flag. This will significantly reduce the other hoops you have to jump through. Register online : https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/ssr/ssr/

Now you can get a bit sneaky if you want, i'm fairly sure you can avoid most of the red tape (Insurance, ICC etc) by having a slower boat with less than 10hp. I'm guessing the old Evinrude is the same block as a 9.9hp ? If so you could disguise the engine and avoid any further problems. This is illegal and I am just making a point.

My suggestion would be leave everything as it is and take the minimum of safety kit. I would also suggest you take proof of insurance and an ICC if possible, this makes you fully legal. My suggestions for other kit:

Required
Life jackets
Anchor
Oars
Mobile Phone (& emergency numbers) in waterproof case.
Large scale chart of the area (Buy in the UK)
Spare fuel
Kill cord

All the other things suggested above are nice to have, but have limited use in the Med. I hardly ever used a plotter, GPS, compass or radio in the med. The coastline is fairly boring, you either go 'up' or 'down', thats your choice. It can all look a bit the same, but I doubt you will be doing huge distances anyway, and you can trace your route on the chart. Very few people monitor the radio, not even marinas.

The one thing that I would suggest you get is a Bimini, you will fry in minutes out on the boat if you don't have any shelter. Also take a cover to keep the sun off the boat when you are not using it, 3 weeks in strong sun could virtually write off the Honda's tubes. Top tip - never take the boat into a bathing area (Inside yellow buoys) and watch out for pot markers and fishing nets.
Old 22 May 2013, 17:22   #9

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
Required
Life jackets
Anchor
Oars
Spare fuel
Kill cord
That seems like a realistic list for a small boat in fine weather. I sailed around Spain and back to the UK at the end of last year. The Spanish love their paperwork - the more the better, and the more official looking the better! An ICC, SSR registriation, radio licence and insurance should keep them quiet if you get asked.

I'm heading to that part of Spain next week, hoping to charter a RIB for the day
Old 23 May 2013, 06:19   #10

Thanks once again, Landlockedpirate, and others

I am not a lover of reams (or any ) paperwork.

If there is less hassles using a 10hp or less outboard engine, then I think I will simply just use a 10hp outboard.
10 hp will get us around almost like a 15hp.

I am not buying the boat and the engine to fly about every where at speed, but more a relaxing "potter around"

I will have a look on the linky about the SSR.

Is the registration transferable, as in, when I sell, will I need to do the forms to say it has been sold?

Gra.
Old 27 May 2013, 15:20   #11

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
Check this:
http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/taking-...tml#post474173
Old 27 May 2013, 15:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
The most important thing to keep the Spanish Authorities off your back is to get the boat UK registered, it only needs to be Part 3 Small Ships Register (SSR). This costs £25 for 5 years and you need to put a small set of numbers on your transom and I would also fly a UK red ensign and a Spanish courtesy flag. This will significantly reduce the other hoops you have to jump through. Register online : https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/ssr/ssr/

Now you can get a bit sneaky if you want, i'm fairly sure you can avoid most of the red tape (Insurance, ICC etc) by having a slower boat with less than 10hp. I'm guessing the old Evinrude is the same block as a 9.9hp ? If so you could disguise the engine and avoid any further problems. This is illegal and I am just making a point.

My suggestion would be leave everything as it is and take the minimum of safety kit. I would also suggest you take proof of insurance and an ICC if possible, this makes you fully legal. My suggestions for other kit:

Required
Life jackets
Anchor
Oars
Spare fuel
Kill cord

All the other things suggested above are nice to have, but have limited use in the Med. I hardly ever used a plotter, GPS, compass or radio in the med. The coastline is fairly boring, you either go 'up' or 'down', thats your choice. It can all look a bit the same, but I doubt you will be doing huge distances anyway, and you can trace your route on the chart. Very few people monitor the radio, not even marinas.

The one thing that I would suggest you get is a Bimini, you will fry in minutes out on the boat if you don't have any shelter. Also take a cover to keep the sun off the boat when you are not using it, 3 weeks in strong sun could virtually write off the Honda's tubes. Top tip - never take the boat into a bathing area (Inside yellow buoys) and watch out for pot markers and fishing nets.
"The one thing that I would suggest you get is a Bimini, you will fry in minutes out on the boat if you don't have any shelter.". For sure!

"Also take a cover to keep the sun off the boat when you are not using it, 3 weeks in strong sun could virtually write off the Honda's tubes." 3 weeks a year? Not.

"Top tip - never take the boat into a bathing area (Inside yellow buoys) and watch out for pot markers and fishing nets." Best advice. In the Med people usually swim in the sea!
Old 27 May 2013, 15:40   #13

http://www.olajedatos.com/cartas/521...o%20Creus.tiff
http://www.olajedatos.com/cartas/ema...tosa-Tossa.png

Cheers.