Old 28 April 2019, 03:29   #1
dek

Town: bournemouth
Boat name: n/a
Make: bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Takacat

Hi folks have not been on here for a few years but now itching to get back on the water. Anyone have experience wit a 3.8 Takacat as this is the direction I am going. As I understand they perform better with less HP than a conventional SIB. Question for any users should I just go direct for a 15 HP or do you think 9.9 would be adequate ?
Thanks in advance.
Dek.

Old 28 April 2019, 07:30   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
OMO I would go 15 hp same weight less throttle needed better fuel consumption more power if needed

Old 10 May 2019, 00:02   #3
dek

Takacat

Thanks jeff. Agree with your thinking 15 HP it is going to be. Just got to find a decent used one. Even the old knackers seem to sell for £1k plus.
Old 10 May 2019, 02:37   #4

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yamaha 15F 2-stroke
Well folks may ask top money for the old knackers but just side step them...£1000-£1250 should get a minter.

Must admit despite having moved to 4-strokes and then downshifted 20hp to 10hp for weight reasons I was very close to pushing buy on a dealer sale of an as-new 2004 Yamaha 15hp 2-stroke a month or so back. £1300 which some folks might think excessive but in my judgement better value than £2200 for a hooky commercial use brand new one which will have uncertain legal status.
Old 10 May 2019, 03:18   #5
dek

Takacat

Hi Fenlander thanks for your reply. Yamaha 15 HP two stroke I have previously owned and they are superb.Trying to find a good one is proving difficult. As I understand new two strokes can only be used for commercial use and they are pretty stringent. ( please correct me if I am wrong).
Considering a new 15 HP Tohatsu circa £2k but with a very attractive 7 year warranty, bloody thing will probably outlast me !
Old 10 May 2019, 06:44   #6

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yamaha 15F 2-stroke
>>>they are pretty stringent.

Several folks on here have bought new 2-strokes over the last few years. Easily done if you have the will. The stringent bit is the particular dealers view on this. When looking for my 9.9 last year two dealers said I might be better suited by a new 2-stroke and that the scope of what was considered commercial use was quite wide.
Old 10 May 2019, 14:06   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Dek

Look on Ron hale marine 15 tohatsu sub £2000 IMO for the weight saving I would prefer a brand new 4 stroke as opposed to a 15 year plus old 2 stroke at half the price with all the unknowns it might bring. a few KG isn't going to be noticeable. To buy a commercial 2 stroke you have to sign a declaration to state commercial use you might be setting up to do 1 man fishing trips which would class as commercial how it's policed after that I find ny on impossible but you will pay the same money for a new 2 stroke one.
Old 10 May 2019, 16:10   #8
dek

Takacat

Jeff
Fairly sure I will be going down the new Tohatsu 15 HP four stroke efi route.A tad under £2k 7 year warranty its a no brainer. Lots of research done and it reads well. Just got to juggle to find the finance,wait for the sun and bingo.
Old 10 May 2019, 22:15   #9

Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50
Chris Moody who used to post on here acquired one not so long ago. He's done some pretty lengthy trips in it with I believe a 15hp on the back. To me looks a little too small, open and basic for anything much beyond tender or beach use; similar to a Zapcat of course but much smaller so not much in the way of comfort! If I were in the market I'd probably buy a traditional SIB - at least you don't get your feet wet or loose your sandwiches out of the open transom.
Old 12 May 2019, 16:25   #10

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dek View Post
Jeff

Fairly sure I will be going down the new Tohatsu 15 HP four stroke efi route.A tad under £2k 7 year warranty its a no brainer. Lots of research done and it reads well. Just got to juggle to find the finance,wait for the sun and bingo.

How much will you pay to service it for 7 years to keep up the warranty?