Old 06 December 2010, 18:58   #21

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Scott, this one's rated for 65hp or twin 30hp with the aluminium floor. It takes a short shaft motor which was a special order, as you probably know long shaft is the norm.
Old 06 December 2010, 19:20   #22

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
I could tell it takes SS by the notched transom. The reason I asked about HP is because my Mk III (not Military HD) is rated for 60. I'm using 40 but want more. I'm inclined to get a 50 but since a 60 weighs the same might go for the max. Why did you go with 50, and not 60 or 65?
Old 06 December 2010, 19:28   #23
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Pike View Post
I could tell it takes SS by the notched transom. The reason I asked about HP is because my Mk III (not Military HD) is rated for 60. I'm using 40 but want more. I'm inclined to get a 50 but since a 60 weighs the same might go for the max. Why did you go with 50, and not 60 or 65?
I'd guess he had the boat built around the engine. We can't (easily) get proper 2 strokes over here any more and I guess Matt just couldn't pass on the opportunity
Old 06 December 2010, 22:46   #24

I could have gone for a 60, only 7kg (15lb) heavier, but Zodiac recommend 40 and I didn't want to take the hp right to the limit. I won't be skiing or carrying really heavy loads plus as Gotchi says, the 50 was available and at the right price. It's a no-frills manual tilt and start to keep the weight down (93kg) and no battery and other electrics floating round the bottom of the boat, wanted to keep the installation as simple as possible.
Old 08 December 2010, 05:44   #25

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
A very nice set up indeed. Am interested in seeing any future customizations of this boat.
Old 08 December 2010, 06:31   #26

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
I love these boats, used the its bigger brother in the Indian ocean and Africa a lot. Huge usable payload, very robust and can take an almighty pounding.
stability at rest is insane, offers non boaty pax a lot of security, tho the black tube are a pita on the equator,they get sooo ht.

hope you have a lot of fun with her.
Old 18 December 2010, 11:20   #27

I'm starting to get somewhere with the new trailer, I didn't make it easy for myself, DODO trailers are an absolute nightmare to design/build

After managing to dial out the flex in the 2 main arms, they're now trying to twist under load giving the wheels negative camber and I can't see an easy way round it.

I've used iroko for the bunks, as you can see in the pic the top is machined so they support the main tubes without squashing the speed tubes which also helps to locate the boat correctly on the trailer.

The other problem is weight distribution. With the boat the 'wrong' way round all the weight of the boat is at the heavy end of the trailer. If I moved the axles to give a sensible nose weight then they would be so far forward it would be over-sensitive to steering and be very difficult to manoeuvre.

I can see a mkII version in the future
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac FC470 019.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	56106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac FC470 020.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	56107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac FC470 021.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	56108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac FC470 016.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	56109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac FC470 018.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	56110  

Old 18 December 2010, 12:11   #28

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post

After managing to dial out the flex in the 2 main arms, they're now trying to twist under load giving the wheels negative camber and I can't see an easy way round it.
The RNLI DODO's use box section, that would help stop your twisting wouldn't it?
Old 18 December 2010, 13:33   #29
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Someone posted an interesting idea on here a while back which allowed you to drive on forwards and then swap the draw bar round before launching so you could still drive off forwards too. Taking this idea could you have some sort of removable cross member which comes off for launch / recovery but prevents the beams from twisting under load when you're actually driving?
Old 18 December 2010, 18:59   #30

Town: Ireland
Length: 10m +
What is the biggest outboard available that one could reasonably drive using a tiller?
Old 18 December 2010, 19:02   #31
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenelgenubi View Post
What is the biggest outboard available that one could reasonably drive using a tiller?
The americans drive huge OBMs with tillers. 200HP would not be considered crazy! They have some sort of special hydraulically assisted steering I think. With a standard tiller then 50HP is probably about your limit.
Old 18 December 2010, 20:12   #32
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenelgenubi View Post
Hey Zube, you thinking about joining the ranks of the Inflatablati too? I see the rib on DoneDeal.
Old 18 December 2010, 21:44   #33

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I love this thread. The more I see the boat and the trailer, the more I think Martini will take to the water in full Navy Seal 'stealth black' uniform. This is what boating is all about. Zodiac... simply the best.
Old 19 December 2010, 01:28   #34

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Someone posted an interesting idea on here a while back which allowed you to drive on forwards and then swap the draw bar round before launching so you could still drive off forwards too. Taking this idea could you have some sort of removable cross member which comes off for launch / recovery but prevents the beams from twisting under load when you're actually driving?
Am enjoying this thread a lot - love seeing custom modification & fabrication projects like this. I am thinking of modifying my trailer to allow easier launches from awkward locations, particularly soft sand, mud and shallow angle areas, but there are 2 main challenges that I can see.

The first is that I want my road going trailer sturdily built to handle rutted out back roads, resulting in a boat trailer combo that is fairly heavy (not so good on sandy beaches mud. The second issue is that I want a plenty of clearance under the trailer frame to keep it from getting hung up on rutted roads. This means that the boat sits up fairly high and that this is accentuated by the tunnel hull design (as it would also be with a futura hull). This high positon is OK with reasonably graded launching ramps, but does not work well at locations with a shallow slope into the water. There are 2 options that I'm considering other thing

The first is to set up the roadway trailer as a slightly modified flat deck with tracks that accomodate a lightweight aluminum framed trolley with beach balloon style tires. "Rogan" has a picture that pops up as one of the alternating photos on the home page of this site with a really nice beach cart for his futura (a Mk II I believe). It has 3 pairs of those "wheeleeze" polyurethane balloon tires (~19" diameter) which should float quite a bit of weight over soft sand. It was something like this: http://www.atlanticjetsports.com/roleez.htm

The second is to use a fairly similar flat deck trailer as previously described but with removable ramps at the rear for transom mounted launching wheels such as these: http://www.beachmaster.co.nz/ and having a set of front beach wheels such as the ones in the picture (below) under the hijackers near the front to support the weight of the bow. In this case I would need some sort of hump in the center of the flat deck trailer that would support the floorboards of the boat. What I like about this second option is that the front set of wheels could be easily disassembled and stowed in the boat for traversing trails between lakes, getting around large dams on major river systems etc...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a7ef196083c9a87f1317d64f84297cd4.image.255x200.gif
Views:	208
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	56122  
Old 19 December 2010, 03:07   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I love this thread. The more I see the boat and the trailer, the more I think Martini will take to the water in full Navy Seal 'stealth black' uniform. This is what boating is all about. Zodiac... simply the best.
Got a musto drysuit but it's bright yellow, they won't sell me a black one unless I buy about a dozen! I will get some some pics up though posing with me balaclava and the AR-15 carbine
Old 19 December 2010, 10:05   #36

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Got a musto drysuit but it's bright yellow, they won't sell me a black one unless I buy about a dozen! I will get some some pics up though posing with me balaclava and the AR-15 carbine
You realise you'll need to paint your mint Mariner with matt black paint from Halfrauds for the authentic look.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	f470-crrc_10.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	56124  
Old 19 December 2010, 10:08   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
You realise you'll need to paint your mint Mariner with matt black paint from Halfrauds for the authentic look.
Haha it was that or get an OCA cover, I went for the cover
Old 19 December 2010, 14:15   #38

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I didn't realise you'd already been out for a spin with some mates. Looks a bit like you at the bottom left of the photo.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2010, 16:10   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I didn't realise you'd already been out for a spin with some mates. Looks a bit like you at the bottom left of the photo.
lol, can't be me, I always drive
Old 19 December 2010, 17:06   #40

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
lol, can't be me, I always drive
I bet not when you've got some ammo and big gun to play with up at the bow instead . Anyway, it has to be you, you've hardly got any PPE on, all the others have helmets, goggles etc.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote