Old 08 June 2013, 16:18   #1

Length: 3m +
Swapping kayak for SIB, advice?

Hello,

I am hoping to pick your brains if I may?.. In an effort to get the better half on the water more, and selfishly to get me to new spearfishing spots, I'm looking to sell our double sea kayak and purchase our first small second hand rib/sib. I'm afraid I can only muster around 1000 pounds tops. What I'm looking for is a system I can hand carry from carpark to the water between the two if us, maybe on a little fold away trolley like the kayak currently has. Then With the whole lot transported on the roof rack to and from home.

From having a read around here it looks to be a 3.3/4 Avon SIB to seat up to 4 of us and a tohatsu 9.8hp two stroke that's been upped to 15hp. I'm scouring eBay but wondered if there are any other makes or models I should consider for a better or alternative option still?...

This will be used rain and shine around Devon and Cornwall for fishing, scuba and getting us to secret coves for dog walking adventures and bbqs. We are in Bristol ourselves if any if you have a setup for sale.

Your thoughts gratefully received!
Old 08 June 2013, 17:52   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Have you tried a SIB / the wife on a SIB. if its the physical part of the kayak that puts her off then SIBbing might be better but if its the comfort factor then I'm not sure it will be a whole load better.

Inflating and packing a sib is a whole load of hassle. Many a sib owner starts with great intentions and then ends up using a trailer in the end. Interestingly I have a hidden urge to try sea kayaking because I think it would be a bit like small sib/ribbing but without some of the hassle and the satisfaction of getting their under your own efforts.
Old 08 June 2013, 17:59   #3

Many thanks for your reply, we would've looking to leave the boat inflated and transport on the roof rack then just attach the engine and off we go. Sea kayaking is awesome but as soon as there is a wind you have to fight it and the whole effort is getting somewhere. With a rib I hope we can spend more time doing activities such as fishing snorkelling and alike rather than all that time spent paddling.

I am keen to have a boat under 40kg and an engine under 30kg so we can hand carry it. We mostly camp in our spare time and nowhere with a slipway so we need to be able to chuck it in the water off the beach.
Old 08 June 2013, 18:55   #4

I'm really new to the world of sibs..I bought a 12ft c pro sib in serviceable condition £25
Iv got a 12ft zodiac in serviceable condition that owes me £150
As for outboards iv got a 2 hp Yamaha that starts well £75
Tohatsu 18 £800
Crysler 7.5 hp £300

Iv just bought a tohatsu 3.8 sport sib and it great nicely put together with a 25 hp tohatsu there's a problem with the engine that's going to need sorting next week..

Answering honestly.the most fun so far has been the zodiac and the crysler 7.5..less than £500
Old 09 June 2013, 00:26   #5

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
It's mission impossible to update a 2 strokes 9.8 Tohatsu into a 15, are different animals. The 9.8 is a 170 CC engine, the 15 is a 250 CC, different powerheads. But you can update a 9.9 to a 15 as both shares same 250 CC powerhead, it's just a carb swap. The seller missed by 0.1...

Happy Boating
Old 09 June 2013, 01:02   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Hurt, Locozodiac is Right.

The Tohatsu 9.8 cannot be souped up to 15hp. The 9.9hp can. Be aware that one weighs 26kg and the other weighs 41kg
Old 09 June 2013, 01:13   #7

40 kg doesn't sound that much but its as much as I can lift comfortably off the bank onto my boat in the water..the 25 hp is to much for me
Old 09 June 2013, 06:22   #8

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by woz72 View Post
40 kg doesn't sound that much but its as much as I can lift comfortably off the bank onto my boat in the water..the 25 hp is to much for me
If you get some good launching wheels, it would just be a matter of lifting the outboard from your vehicle and putting it on the transom and not having to carry the outboard any distance.
Old 09 June 2013, 12:27   #9

The 9.8 would do me fine, whilst a 15 would be preferable the weight difference would be too much.

Any other boats or engines to consider?
Old 09 June 2013, 13:28   #10

Town: Pooler, Georgia
Boat name: not applicable
Make: Avon
Engine: Outboard
The 9.8 HP Nisson/Tohatsu two stroke is probably as close to perfection as you can get for a portable engine. You pay a weight premium with a larger two stroke or a four stroke engine.
Old 07 July 2013, 23:01   #11

Your inbox is full woz
Old 08 July 2013, 19:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Your inbox is full woz
Sorry mate. Deleted a few messages now
Old 08 July 2013, 19:43   #13

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Next size is inevitably a 9.9 or 15 HP, which are same CC, size and weight. Not much from where to choose from. Forget all about boating with 4 mates and a 9.8 HP, unless you like just displacement speeds. Go straight for a 2 strokes 15 or 18 HP that matches well a 3.40 to 4.0 mtr boat.

Happy Boating