Old 20 October 2014, 10:50   #1

Suitable motor

Hi I have just purchased an Avon rover 310 which motor? 5,6,8 or 10 HP need to keep the weight as low as practical as will have to carry it as well
Thanks in advance
Old 20 October 2014, 11:53   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
A lot depends on where you intend to use the Avon, river or sea and how many folks will be in the boat?

Also budget is important, if you had close on £1000 for the motor then a mint Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke around 2006 is the best power/weight balance assuming sea use. A nice mid 2000s 2-stroke Yamaha 8hp is a decent motor too and might be nearer £600. If you are only going on the river a more modest priced 4/5/6hp would be fine.

How far do you carry the motor & do you use transom wheels?
Old 20 October 2014, 12:46   #3

Hi I plan to use it around the calshot area Southampton water, Solent & Hamble river, so I have to carry it down the beach or across from the campsite about 100 - 150 metres, I have fitted transom wheels and there will generally be 2 people on board, I was thinking of a yam 4 stroke but very open to suggestions, I didn't think that you could buy new 2 strokes
Old 20 October 2014, 13:04   #4

No you can't buy new 2-strokes. The last ones were sold in 2006 but very few folks on here would put a brand new motor on a small used SIB so I assumed used. Most tend to go for the 2-strokes for their lighter weight too.

For your use a 2-stroke 8hp or 9.8hp (Tohatsu only) would seem ideal assuming you are happy to buy used.

They should both allow you to get on the plane with 1 (for certain) or 2 (as long as you aren't both very heavy) and the usual fuel/kit etc. This will be a struggle if you went to 5/6hp.

If you do consider 2-strokes be wary of all the 9.9 models as these weigh the same as 15s which for me is too heavy for the power.

If you are determined to buy a new 4-stroke then look at the weights carefully. In the up to 10hp range most folks find 26kg comfortable but 35kg more than ideal.
Old 20 October 2014, 13:32   #5

Thanks for the info, The Mrs would feel happier with a new motor, and as she isn't really wanting to get up on the plane she said to me " just want to Phutt Phutt on the water" this is an exercise to encourage her to allow me to buy a bigger Rib later on, when she is more comfortable, as for me I am off this weekend to do my Level two power boating course (apparently its a 200 Hp Rib
Old 20 October 2014, 13:49   #6

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
What Fenlander said! If you buy new you'll have a weighty little 4 stroke to struggle with and suffer a heck of a lot of depreciation when you sell it (which you will ).
Old 20 October 2014, 13:55   #7

I think it's something that I will have to take on the chin as she is unhappy about a second hand engine breaking down, also in my earlier years I used to race two stroke karts and really understand the power advantages, but I can't be faded with mixing oil and fuel etc, plus the best two strokes run on castrol R 😄

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
Old 20 October 2014, 14:17   #8

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Suitable motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthezone View Post
as she is unhappy about a second hand engine breaking down

That's a shame. There's a mint looking 9.8 Tohatsu on eBay at the moment. Not cheap but should hold its value.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=251677319565
Old 20 October 2014, 14:27   #9

With the two stroke do you use premixed fuel or is it done within the engine ?
Old 20 October 2014, 14:49   #10

I think most, if not all, small 2 strokes use pre-mixed fuel.
Old 20 October 2014, 14:56   #11

Thanks, I will probably go for a four stroke, mainly as I don't want to mess around mixing fuel, and it's a very small SIB
Yam 6hp at 27kg or 8hp at 38kg ?
Old 20 October 2014, 15:06   #12

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I'm with the others, 2 strokes are best on small sibs, but I also understand your position.

Single cylinder 4 strokes are the lightest, but are quite noisy and because you need to run them at fairly high revs, dont make for a relaxing trip IMHO. We had a Honda 5hp on a sailing boat and it was less pleasant to use than the 2 stroke Mercury it replaced.

Twin cylinder engines are much nicer, but obviously much heavier. The Hamble can move a decent speed past the point and tides around Calshot can also be lively. Smallest twin is 6hp but its the same weight as a 8hp, so that would be my choice.

Everyone has a favourite brand but as long as you stick with a mainstream brand you cant buy a bad engine (Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Mariner, Tohatsu, Mercury etc)
Old 20 October 2014, 15:17   #13

It's fair enough but I've never understood the 'can't be bothered mixing fuel' argument - these SIBs use so little fuel - you fill up the portable tank at the petrol station and pour in the correct amount at the same time - takes a few seconds! I just have it pre-measured out in a small pop bottle in the garage at home, knowing I will fill up with say 10 litres I just take the bottle with me with 200 ml of oil it.

If there are two of you (adults) and you want to plane then 9.8 is the minimum worthwhile engine. If happy to displace (5 kts) then I'd look at a little 6hp.
Old 20 October 2014, 16:59   #14

If you have to go new and 4-stroke then with what you've said I'd go for the 26kg 6hp. That will push the boat fine with the 2 of you and then when the Mrs gets out it will (should) plane you 1 up.

I really couldn't bring myself to lug around an 8hp 4-stroke at 38kg when that weight would get you 15hp in a used motor.

I wonder if this is your first boat and her first experience of boating? I had the same boat as you for this summer between slightly larger inflatables with 15hp motors. The Rover 3.1 is a classic and long lasting SIB but after fractionally larger and more modern designs it felt a bit exposed at sea and shipped water in a chop more than other boats I've had. This could put her off the whole idea.

So I just wondered... lateral thinking... if something like a 3.4m modern boat bought used but as new with a 6 or 8hp 4-stroke could come not far off the same price as a new engine... then the eventual resale would likely be at zero loss.
Old 20 October 2014, 17:10   #15

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I have a Rover 3.10 that I have had since nearly new, I don't use it that much but I love it!!!

Couple of years ago I bought and nearly new Tohatsu 9.8hp 2 smoke from a Ribnet chap in Sussex somewhere and its the best engine I've ever had (and I've had a few).

It is the perfect match for the Rover 310 in every regard, buy a good one and you wont be disappointed and neither will your crew.

The one on ebay in St Helens is a long way to go and it is not cheap, but in my view its worth the trip and the money.

I really love my Avon/Tohatsu combo, I just do worry about the engine getting nicked because they are tough to find and mines a beaut.

Good luck and I hope to see you out on the river.

Toby
Old 20 October 2014, 17:23   #16

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
If you just want to potter about then a 3hp will do it. I used to use a 3hp on a larger SIB than that and had no problems on sea trips of several miles, with diving gear. Slow but steady. Of course, with fast tides a bit more power would help.

I think the biggest common size with an integral tank is a 6hp which would give you more power without sacrificing deck space.

For optimal performance, I know the Zodiac site recommends a 9.9 for their equivalent sized boat because that's what I recently bought.
Old 20 October 2014, 17:41   #17

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
I think the biggest common size with an integral tank is a 6hp which would give you more power without sacrificing deck space.
My fuel line runs up inside the stringer on the portside and the tank is secured down underneath the forward seat, neat and out of the way. In fact the tank stops other stuff at the bow slipping further aft.

Obviously its your call, but just look at your threads tittle - the most suitable motor for that boat is the Tohatsu 9.8HP.

Toby
Old 20 October 2014, 18:06   #18

>>>the most suitable motor for that boat is the Tohatsu 9.8HP.

Yes and that one linked to above has now been trimmed to £995 which is a very fair price for a minter... you could use that from now until next June than make £100-£250 profit selling it on.

Tohatsu 9 8 Short Shaft Outboard Motor | eBay
Old 20 October 2014, 20:01   #19

Amazed it is still available, and the ad is true they are £1250 at any normal time. To the OP not sure how much searching you have done or checking years of previous topics but 2 stroke 9.8 Tohatsus and 15 Yams, Mercury, Mariners have proved to be one of the best investments you can make.

Virtually all of us small SIBbers run older 2 strokes, they have their moments but run fine...most of the time!
Old 20 October 2014, 20:33   #20

Not available anymore! Anyone on here responsible.