Old 22 June 2016, 01:43   #1

Length: 3m +
sturdy adjustable umbrella

Hey guys, I have a 1997 fastroller 380 with a 15hp 2-stroke Yahama. Here in Northern California the summer heat can get fairly brutal, so, I am looking for recommendations for a adjustable umbrella to attach to the transom. I looked at the cheap ones and they don't look like they would last a season. Preferably, one with a telescopic pole. I tried a bimini top and did not like it, it gets in the way of my fishing! Any ideas? Can the transom support a heavier umbrella? Need some advice!
Old 22 June 2016, 07:40   #2

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
If you were in the UK I'd suggest a large fishing umbrella - don't know if they're available over there. Quick look on your ebay suggests not but loads on ebay.co.uk
Fishing Umbrellas | Fishing Brolly | Shelters | Angling Direct
and
Fishing Umbrella | eBay

Most are tiltable (hinge on the upper tube) so you can angle the top. Usually come with an extending bottom (telescopes out of the upper part so you can adjust for height) which has a spike for driving into the ground. If you cut off the pointy bit & fit a tube to your transom that it will fit into with a screw clamp to hold it securely I expect it will do what you want. If you use a mounting tube with a closed bottom then you could leave the point on & use it on land.
Old 22 June 2016, 13:21   #3

Length: 3m +
Thanks Paintman, I was thinking in that direction also. PVC pipe clamped to transom with a cap on bottom. ( I have a sib) I will search google and hopefully find one. Appreciate your response!
Old 22 June 2016, 17:32   #4

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
I remembered earlier today - it was raining & I had occasion to use mine - that the bottom tube (the one with the pointy end) pulls all the way out & you can then put it back with the pointy end inside the upper tube.
As I've been using fishing umbrellas for over 50 years & always put them away like that for safety I can only plead a senior moment!