Old 03 August 2013, 10:26   #1

Town: Bristol
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15HP 2Str
Storing my Honwave, to inflate or not to inflate!

I just picked up a new T38 Airdeck Honwave and in reality I won't be using it every week (due to our embarrassing UK weather), therefore to transport it to and from the water I'll have to inflate/deflate it to get it into the car - sadly for most of its life it will be sat in my garage. I am wondering what is healthiest for the boat, to be stored deflated and folded within its bag, to be partially inflated and sat on a piece of carpet in the garage, or to be fully inflated?

Which has the least strain on the boat, surely being folded for uncertain lengths of time could cause stress on the seams or the material itself?
Old 03 August 2013, 10:39   #2

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
I keep mine fully inflated sat on the floor in the garage.
Old 03 August 2013, 10:58   #3

Unfortunately I have to inflate/deflate on each use to be able to transport it, so I'm wondering whether I should reinflate it once home?
Old 03 August 2013, 11:14   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Fully inflate it, keep it like that in the summer or however long you are using it and transport it on the roof inflated or on a simple trailer. You'll *very* quickly get fed up with the:

...(a)pack in car/inflate/use/deflate/pack in car/inflate (to wash all the sand, stone and crap out!)/deflate/pack away in garage...go to (a)...

Old 03 August 2013, 11:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Fully inflate it, keep it like that in the summer or however long you are using it and transport it on the roof inflated or on a simple trailer. You'll *very* quickly get fed up with the:

...(a)pack in car/inflate/use/deflate/pack in car/inflate (to wash all the sand, stone and crap out!)/deflate/pack away in garage...go to (a)...

Thanks Max, I have considered the roof idea, but this 3.8m boat is longer than my 3 series BMW, so transporting it on the roof seems almost impossible without it swamping the front and rear windows!
Old 03 August 2013, 11:38   #6

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeant View Post
Which has the least strain on the boat, surely being folded for uncertain lengths of time could cause stress on the seams or the material itself?
I cant honestly give you the correct answer sergeant, as I dont know.. but none of my inflatables have ever suffered crease problems to find out.

I have an Avon Roundtail made of Hypalon ..must be 15 years or more old ? .. and it still doesnt have a leak. Its rolled up and flung in a bag at the end of the day. The only time its washed is when its got too much fish gut on it. Its stored in a garden shed when not used

I also have a cheap Chinese made PVC Seago inflatable and it too is rolled up after every use. It must be approaching 10 years old ? Not one patch or leak..although its bottom is pretty scuffed dragging it up stony shores. It too is stored in the garden shed rolled up in a bag.

The largest is stored on a trailer fully inflated..although its very soft to avoid atmospheric pressure changes bursting it.

Only thing to watch if storing rolled up for long periods of time.. make sure no mice are around to make nests in the boat.. they will chew it to pieces ..as has happened to some friends.

My thoughts are..go what suits you.
Old 03 August 2013, 11:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
My thoughts are..go what suits you.
Very interesting, thanks dude - for what we pay for these new, I'd hope they'd stand the test of time, sounds like yours certainly have
Old 03 August 2013, 12:11   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Don't give storing the Honwave packed a second thought... it'll be fine. All the inflatables (PVC & Hypalon) I've owned from brand new to 40yrs old have been stored packed for far more time than they've been inflated... never an issue.

Oh and don't worry about the inflate/deflate... it's a doddle with an air floor. It's just a pet hate of Max's and he has a LWB Land Rover so carrying inflated on the roof is a bit easier than most with our cars!

We've just been on hols with the 3.5m Honwave, 15hp Mariner and all the kit travelled in the back of wife's Citroen C3 with seats folded down. That's the whole beauty of an inflatable... turning up next to the slip in a small car and unfurling a boat that 30mins later is heading out on a lumpy sea with 4 folks in it.
Old 03 August 2013, 12:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Don't give storing the Honwave packed a second thought... it'll be fine. All the inflatables (PVC & Hypalon) I've owned from brand new to 40yrs old have been stored packed for far more time than they've been inflated... never an issue.

Oh and don't worry about the inflate/deflate... it's a doddle with an air floor. It's just a pet hate of Max's and he has a LWB Land Rover so carrying inflated is OK.

We've just been on hols with the 3.5m Honwave, 15hp Mariner and all the kit travelled in the back of wife's Citroen C3 with seats folded down. That's the whole beauty of an inflatable... turning up next to the slip in a small car and unfurling a boat that 30mins later is heading out on a lumpy sea with 4 folks in it.
Haha, definitely, can't wait and love the flexibility of being able to get it all easily into the car, I was surprised at just how small the Honwave T38 packs down to! The Mercury 15HP is just the perfect length as well to fit acrossways in the boot!

Thanks for this everyone, I can sleep easy knowing that my boat doesn't really mind how its stored but I'll stick some mouse-traps in the garage...just incase
Old 03 August 2013, 12:49   #10

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
it doesnt really matter, but id make sure it is fully dry before packing away for any length of time so as to stop any mold forming.
Old 04 August 2013, 18:45   #11

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I have a Zodiac 2.85m SIB and I have nowhere to store it inflated at home, so it gets put back in its bag and stored like that after each use.

Although when on holiday we leave it inflated for the time we are there.

The boat is now on the fifth season of use, and it has been used a lot! We've been to Norfolk, to Windermere (going again next weekend), on the River Dee in Chester, on the canal many times, to Scotland twice....basically anywhere there is water! It is still in perfect condition with no signs of distress from the repeated inflation/deflation and storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0099.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	83631  
Old 05 August 2013, 08:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
I have a Zodiac 2.85m SIB and I have nowhere to store it inflated at home, so it gets put back in its bag and stored like that after each use.

The boat is now on the fifth season of use, and it has been used a lot! We've been to Norfolk, to Windermere (going again next weekend), on the River Dee in Chester, on the canal many times, to Scotland twice....basically anywhere there is water! It is still in perfect condition with no signs of distress from the repeated inflation/deflation and storage.
Sounds good, nice picture too! - thanks again all!
Old 17 October 2013, 13:41   #13

Town: hyde
Boat name: patriot
Make: zodiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post

is that picture the menai straits down the lane before plas newydd nr the old slate jetty ?? cheers
Old 19 October 2013, 23:31   #14

Town: Looe/Fowey
Make: Honwave 4.0
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 20 4 stroke
HI
any of you guys get water trapped in the hull under alloy floor when you store it inflated ?