Old 29 June 2011, 21:43   #1

Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Twahtzoo 20hp
MMSI: 235906188
Squiddy - Aerotec - First outings.

So, it now seems a bit foolish posting my report of my first outings in the aerotec, only 2 months late, now i notice that a heap of folk on the forum seem to have one.

So, took her out for first trip up north of Ullapool, just around the Summer Isles back in April. We were there for a week, so had a few days on the water. Unbelieveably good fun - was certainly very happy to have decided on the aerotec, the v hull seemed to do its job very well. Twatzshu twenny was brand new so couldnt go too mad, straight off. Just went about grinning and trying not to squeeze the life out of the throttle and kill my hand, is it normal to over-grip the throttle on first outing?? Worked the engine in and started to really get under way - holy shight can that thing move! Went everywhere very quickly then slowed down a bit to take the family out and they all loved it. We are back up there in a fortnight's time, nice.

Launching from the beach, first time, reversed out through waves which swamped transom a touch. In subsequent dippings I went out only when I could row out through waves before dropping engine, nice and smooth. Sea conditions were very good to me, see last pic, it was spooky how still everything was, the Summer Isles were stunning. Been out a few times since, went to Loch Rannoch which was choppier than the sea.

ONLY slight drawback, as others have had the pleasure of, is the slendid shower I have when I get up some pace, heaps of splashing over the transom. I may have to build spray deflectors and get the engine raised.

As usual, cheers to all on this forum for all info that helped me get out on my first boat. The advice on the pump, from John Kennett, was ALL good - the quicksilver pump is working a treat and only a few quid!!!

"PICS OR THIS THREADS USELESS" so here's a couple pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aero10.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	60514   Click image for larger version

Name:	aero11.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	60515   Click image for larger version

Name:	aero12.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	60516  
Old 30 June 2011, 07:58   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddy View Post
Just went about grinning and trying not to squeeze the life out of the throttle and kill my hand, is it normal to over-grip the throttle on first outing??
Not all that uncommon, I'd think. To be honest, I don't recall my first outing in the tiller steered boat; but I suspect it was about the same. There should be a tension adjustment on there somewhere; cranking it up makes it easier to hold a specific setting without needing a lot of muscle to hold it there.

Congrats on the boat;

jky
Old 30 June 2011, 20:31   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
ONLY slight drawback, as others have had the pleasure of, is the slendid shower I have when I get up some pace, heaps of splashing over the transom. I may have to build spray deflectors and get the engine raised.
You should find that raising the engine bu about an inch will cure this. It's easy enough to experiment, just put a suitable piece of wood on the transom when you fit the outboard. As a short term fix it doesn't need attaching as the motor will hold it in place.

Glad you're having fun!
Old 01 July 2011, 01:18   #4

Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude 15 hp -78
When mentioning the Aerotec, is it always the 380 that is meant? I saw when I tried to google it that there was "aerotec floor" on many Bombard, such as AX2. What boats have this great handling and the v-bottom? Only this one?

Best regards
Old 01 July 2011, 09:46   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Sheffield
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
You should find that raising the engine bu about an inch will cure this. It's easy enough to experiment, just put a suitable piece of wood on the transom when you fit the outboard. As a short term fix it doesn't need attaching as the motor will hold it in place.

Glad you're having fun!
As John says test the height you need with temporary blocks of wood before permanently modifying your transom.

For information my Honda BF20 needed a full two inch raise, any higher and it will cavitate in high speed turns, any lower and it still tends to splash back over the transom in certain sea conditions / speeds. It's worth the bit of effort involved to get it right.
Old 01 July 2011, 11:27   #6

Andy C did say: "As John says test the height you need with temporary blocks of wood before permanently modifying your transom."

Cheers guys, that was going to be a future question - if the engine would fall off with temp wooden blocks, I need to get going with some pace before the splashing occurs so was a bit worried about a temp block under those forces. Should be ok eh? Of course the engine will be roped to boat anyway.

So, i'm looking at finding a height between 1 and 2 inches approx.

Patrik - I think 'aerotec' does refer to the high pressure floor in the boats, but these models of Bombard are just called "aerotec 380", i think the '420' got blasted. To be honest, for the size, weight and performance with the "V" hull - you cant go wrong with a 380. Bit pricey brand new though! I had 3 boats in mind at the time and the 380 was the most pricey - but so very glad I chose it. Found one second hand only used twice with a free 6hp engine!! sweet.
Old 01 July 2011, 12:18   #7

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
This is my alteration I did to the transom, works for me
I raised the pad on the transom to give the added block additional support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02028 (Medium).JPG
Views:	404
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	60536   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02031 (Medium).JPG
Views:	371
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	60537  
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2011, 21:42   #8

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have to ask you Squiddy. How much was your boat and what other options were you considering?

Quote:
Bit pricey brand new though! I had 3 boats in mind at the time and the 380 was the most pricey - but so very glad I chose it. Found one second hand only used twice with a free 6hp engine!! sweet.
Old 05 July 2011, 10:48   #9

Town: Marlow
Make: Bombard 380
Engine: 25hp Yamaha 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik View Post
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have to ask you Squiddy. How much was your boat and what other options were you considering?
I got a 380, 1997 25hp Yamaha 2 stroke, motor trolley (adapted from a sack trolley) 22l tank and fuel line, oars, bow bag, anchor and short line, cover, up to 250kg trailer, launch wheels (the good ones), Bravo BST pump (although broken I can get the parts for £20), foot pump and SS light frame that can double to tow a skier or biscuit for £1980. In my research it seemed that the 380 was the best choice for a beginner and has great performance to boot. For me it was an Avon, Honda, Bombard or Yamaha but after lots of research for me the Bombard stood out.

I had a £2k budget so this came in spot on!
Old 05 July 2011, 10:51   #10

Cool! Sounds like a good deal with all that equipment. I heard some rumours that there might be a replacement for the 380 after the summer, anyone know if that's right?
Old 11 July 2011, 17:04   #11

Quote:
Patrik - I think 'aerotec' does refer to the high pressure floor in the boats, but these models of Bombard are just called "aerotec 380", i think the '420' got blasted. To be honest, for the size, weight and performance with the "V" hull - you cant go wrong with a 380. Bit pricey brand new though! I had 3 boats in mind at the time and the 380 was the most pricey - but so very glad I chose it. Found one second hand only used twice with a free 6hp engine!! sweet.
Hey again Squiddy, I'm looking at a Aerotec 420 from 2003. Would this be a similar good buy as you find the 380? What money would you expect with everything working except a slow puncture on one of the high pressure floors?
How much was yours?
Old 12 July 2011, 13:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik View Post
Hey again Squiddy, I'm looking at a Aerotec 420 from 2003. Would this be a similar good buy as you find the 380? What money would you expect with everything working except a slow puncture on one of the high pressure floors?
How much was yours?
Hello Patrik

To be honest I am not that sure how much that 420 should be. I dont think I would buy one that I knew had a leaky floor, just because I am rubbish at fixing things. The HP floor goes to 11+psi, so I would want to make sure that it was in sound shape before i bought it. I have a feeling replacement aerotec floors are pretty expensive. I am not as good as Nasher at fixing such things!!!!!

I got my 380 (new 2010, used twice, perfect condition) along with brand new trailer (used once) and a 6hp merc (used twice) all for about £1800.

To answer your other question - i was looking at honwaves, zodiacs (everything from a 3.4 cadet FR to a futura FR) and bombards, aerotec 380 ticked everybox BUT was a bit pricey brand new. Hope this helps.
Old 02 August 2014, 18:26   #13

Town: Los Angeles
Length: no boat
Quote:
Hello Patrik

To be honest I am not that sure how much that 420 should be. I dont think I would buy one that I knew had a leaky floor, just because I am rubbish at fixing things. The HP floor goes to 11+psi, so I would want to make sure that it was in sound shape before i bought it. I have a feeling replacement aerotec floors are pretty expensive. I am not as good as Nasher at fixing such things!!!!!

I got my 380 (new 2010, used twice, perfect condition) along with brand new trailer (used once) and a 6hp merc (used twice) all for about £1800.

To answer your other question - i was looking at honwaves, zodiacs (everything from a 3.4 cadet FR to a futura FR) and bombards, aerotec 380 ticked everybox BUT was a bit pricey brand new. Hope this helps.
May I ask where you got yours for such a good price?