Old 06 May 2009, 21:01   #1

Town: Cramlington
Boat name: PAL II
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9df
Spray protection?

Hello all new to site and would like to ask if anybody has made or seen any sort of spray dodger/cuddy etc to combat getting soaked when your stuck in choppy conditions?
I use my zodiac zoom 380s for fishing in the Newbiggin area.

Old 06 May 2009, 22:18   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
i once made a very large dodger that came nearly half way along the boat held up at on end with peices of push fit pvc drain pipe on a 16 ft humber sib many years ago when we were using it for crab lobster potting ,was about 4 feet tall enough to have someone sat up underneath boiling a kettle , modelled it on the local cobles ,but we could put it up or take it down within minutes,was even thinking of making a folding one from two peices thin ply hinged in the middle but never got round to it .
Old 07 May 2009, 18:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
i once made a very large dodger that came nearly half way along the boat held up at on end with peices of push fit pvc drain pipe on a 16 ft humber sib many years ago when we were using it for crab lobster potting ,was about 4 feet tall enough to have someone sat up underneath boiling a kettle , modelled it on the local cobles ,but we could put it up or take it down within minutes,was even thinking of making a folding one from two peices thin ply hinged in the middle but never got round to it .
That was the type of thing I was thinkin about any ideas where I would get hold of some heavy duty sheet to do the job?
Old 07 May 2009, 21:39   #4

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
you could try a tarpaulin or cover maker or see if there are any firms that do truck curtain siders for an old piece or an off cut .even those high street £pound shops sometimes do some that would do for your size boat .
Old 07 May 2009, 21:43   #5

Town: Sliema - Malta
Make: Bat Grifo 2000
Length: 4m +
Engine: Susuki DF50
[QUOTE=Iva-cod-on;293489] Hello all new to site and would like to ask if anybody has made or seen any sort of spray dodger/cuddy etc to combat getting soaked when your stuck in choppy conditions?

hi mate,

nice boat you have! small question please, i have a suzumar 320 with alu floor (similar 2 urs)but no motor yet, should be buying the outboard this week! decided i want a suzuki, but not sure if i buy the 9.9 or 15hp outboard.
with your 9.9 do you plane easily with 2 adults on the boat?

thanks
chris
Old 07 May 2009, 23:32   #6

[QUOTE=Floody;293657]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva-cod-on View Post
Hello all new to site and would like to ask if anybody has made or seen any sort of spray dodger/cuddy etc to combat getting soaked when your stuck in choppy conditions?

hi mate,

nice boat you have! small question please, i have a suzumar 320 with alu floor (similar 2 urs)but no motor yet, should be buying the outboard this week! decided i want a suzuki, but not sure if i buy the 9.9 or 15hp outboard.

thanks
chris
Hi chris my boat planes no problem with two on board me on motor sitting on tube 13stone and father on front box 13stone plus spare gallon of fuel and lead sinkers up front.
It does 17knots flatout acording to gps full throttle but cruises at 13knots on the plane at half throttle I wheel the boat down the beach first then carry the motor down on my shoulder it's a heavy lump it wieghs 55 kg if I remember correctly when I bought it in nov 08 it was between the Suzuki or a mariner which was lighter by about 7kg the Suzuki is a lovely motor but I would have maybe thought twice with experience.

Ivan.
Old 08 May 2009, 13:08   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floody View Post

hi mate,

thanks
chris
I have a Suzuki 15hp on a Quicksilver 3.1. I can get about 25mph out of it and 22mph fully laden. it is a great engine but like all 4 strokes pretty heavy.

The extra power is useful and as the engines weigh exactly the same it would be silly not to go for the 15hp unless there is a big difference in price. I remember reading something on this site that it is quite easy to upgrade the 9 to a 15hp as they are the same engine but can't find the thread at the moment.

If you can find a nice 15hp 2 stroke though that would be the first choice as 4 strokes are heavy. The ideal is a Tohatsu 18hp as it's the same weight as the 9.9 and 15hp.
Old 08 May 2009, 21:49   #8

Boat name: Pisces
Hi Iva-cod-on

Are you getting sprayed whilst motoring or at anchor?

PS. Like the screen name;-)

https://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 08:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbyte View Post
Hi Iva-cod-on

Are you getting sprayed whilst motoring or at anchor?

PS. Like the screen name;-)
Its while motoring when theres a chop on get loads in the face lol

I was quite pleased on the name myself lol
Old 09 May 2009, 21:54   #10

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
The extra power is useful and as the engines weigh exactly the same it would be silly not to go for the 15hp unless there is a big difference in price. I remember reading something on this site that it is quite easy to upgrade the 9 to a 15hp as they are the same engine but can't find the thread at the moment.
That would be me

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28883

Post 2005, the only difference between DF9.9 and DF15 seems to be the carb. I may however have missed something, so if you do fit a DF15 carb and your engine shuffles off its mortal coil in an expensive manner, don't blame me .

Pre 2005, there is a whole lot of other stuff including different camshaft

I couldn't work out how just changing the carb could make a difference, then I saw the carbs...

Price for the carb is £207.34 ex vat and delivery from these guys:

www.imsupplies.co.uk

plus you need 2 new gaskets

I got a very good price for my DF9.9 (several years ago) from

www.pacermarine.co.uk

If I hadn't got such a good price it would probably have been cheaper to buy a DF15.

One thing to be aware of - Suzuki have come up with a new DF9.9 - this new engine cannot be upped to 15HP as it is a smaller capacity and shares internals with a new DF8.

Cheers

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscf0014.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	42436  
Old 10 May 2009, 17:33   #11

[QUOTE=Iva-cod-on;293675]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floody View Post

Hi chris my boat planes no problem with two on board me on motor sitting on tube 13stone and father on front box 13stone plus spare gallon of fuel and lead sinkers up front.
It does 17knots flatout acording to gps full throttle but cruises at 13knots on the plane at half throttle I wheel the boat down the beach first then carry the motor down on my shoulder it's a heavy lump it wieghs 55 kg if I remember correctly when I bought it in nov 08 it was between the Suzuki or a mariner which was lighter by about 7kg the Suzuki is a lovely motor but I would have maybe thought twice with experience.

Ivan.
thanks for your reply...
luckily i dnt have to carry the motor for a long distance
now im trying to sort out a trailer, cause i willl get bored inflating and deflating every week....maybe a box trailer would do...

did u add an extra bench next to the motor? i noticed well ?
Old 10 May 2009, 17:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I have a Suzuki 15hp on a Quicksilver 3.1. I can get about 25mph out of it and 22mph fully laden. it is a great engine but like all 4 strokes pretty heavy.

If you can find a nice 15hp 2 stroke though that would be the first choice as 4 strokes are heavy. The ideal is a Tohatsu 18hp as it's the same weight as the 9.9 and 15hp.
----

hard 2 find 2 strokes now in malta, nobody seems to want to sell them ive been looking for a gd 2nd hand one for ages,,

there is a big difference in price from 9.9 to 15....here in malta one has to pay a yearly licence for outboards which are more then 10hp..
Old 12 May 2009, 17:59   #13

[QUOTE=Floody;294142]
Quote:

thanks for your reply...
luckily i dnt have to carry the motor for a long distance
now im trying to sort out a trailer, cause i willl get bored inflating and deflating every week....maybe a box trailer would do...

did u add an extra bench next to the motor? i noticed well ?
Its an old shore fishing box that I put a wooden top on and it wedges in lovely next to the fuel tank means i sit there one on the middle seat and one on the box at the front.
Old 12 May 2009, 19:36   #14

Length: no boat
Quote:

Wow

what a great looking sib, looks great

that beach also looks just about the perfect place to launch it, no shingle, fantastic

great sib mate
Old 13 May 2009, 18:06   #15

Thanks mate Its a good launch not too bad at all:-)
Old 09 June 2012, 11:56   #16

Engine: Yamaha 8hp
Custom made transparent spray water protection

Hello Iva-con-on

I made my own transparent custom made splash protection which works very well. Take a look at the thread I opened:
http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/custom-...iac-48669.html

Swissmorgy
Old 09 June 2012, 17:55   #17

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
Swissmorgy, that screen seems nice for lakes but not so operational for sea waves and sea wind. You can end shipping a lot of water inside the boat.

I believe a tent-like structure can be better. Something you can put up and down whenever needed. No rigid parts to avoid breaking and pinning the boat. It's easy to hit any structure and break it with your own body weight. Not to mention anchor and painter handling...
Old 09 June 2012, 20:07   #18

Engine: Yamaha 8hp
azzurro,

you are right. My protection is meant for relatively mild conditions and leisure activities. I wouldn't go on the open sea with more than a light breeze anyway in my small Zodiac. But on lake conditions up to 4 or 5 Beaufort it does a good job keeping away splashing water the wind would otherwise blow into your face.

For me, the tent-like protections like that one are for emergencies, for one single person only or to protect luggage. They sure keep dry whatever is under them. But persons wouldn't feel too well under that thing and go seasick after a few minutes.

Swissmorgy
Old 10 June 2012, 19:32   #19

Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissmorgy View Post
azzurro,

you are right. My protection is meant for relatively mild conditions and leisure activities. I wouldn't go on the open sea with more than a light breeze anyway in my small Zodiac. But on lake conditions up to 4 or 5 Beaufort it does a good job keeping away splashing water the wind would otherwise blow into your face.

For me, the tent-like protections like that one are for emergencies, for one single person only or to protect luggage. They sure keep dry whatever is under them. But persons wouldn't feel too well under that thing and go seasick after a few minutes.

Swissmorgy
That spray hood looks great!
One of the biggest problems I have is seagull shit.
A spray hood with that angle is not a comfortable place to be if you are a seagull.