Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Macleod Special
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewhiting View Post
Thundercat, race tuned 50 tohatsu 2-stroke, 2 up....53mph....woooo i win!
Thundercat, 50hp tohatsu, 57mph
and theres a bit more in it too!
Old 18 October 2012, 04:13   #42

Town: vancouver
Make: Seamax
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Gas/e-troll
15hp merc with 2.3m / 10.5 ft SIB w/alum floor and 16 inch wheels.
22.6 mph / 36.37 kph at full throttle with 2 people + 2 6 gal full gas tanks on board.
20.2 mph at 3/4 throttle
17.8 mph at 1/2 throttle
will not plane below half throttle.
all measured by GPS in straight line runs.
Old 18 October 2012, 18:04   #43

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by zurk View Post
16 inch wheels.
Please tell me more about your wheel setup? I have never seen a set that large. Brand? Picture? Link? I had to build a set in order to get the right load rating for sand travel.

My setup with 19" wheels.

Old 18 October 2012, 18:35   #44

pic :

brand is aqumarine off fleabay :
Inflatable skiff fishing Boat Launching Transom Wheels Set w Tires 16" x 4" | eBay

they are generic chinese junk. holding up well tho. inflated to 24psi/max is 30psi. i also have kayak launch wheels for the front. 6 inch duals at 30psi which come off in the water. used marine goop to fix rear wheel brackets permanently to transom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-17-2016.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	73349   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-17-1964.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	73350  
Old 19 October 2012, 04:35   #45

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Please tell me more about your wheel setup? I have never seen a set that large. Brand? Picture? Link? I had to build a set in order to get the right load rating for sand travel.

Very nice, Peter C! Have you posted a DIY launching wheels thread? If not, you should. Are those the Wheeleez brand wheels? How much weight do you have to support at the bow when using these wheels? Would it be worthwhile to have a 3rd beach wheel under the bow that clips onto the D handle?

I have to admit, it took me a while to notice that there was a nice big pair of launching wheels in the picture.
Old 19 October 2012, 05:53   #46

Thanks Zurk! I have seen those before but didn't figure they would hold up well to my 500lb boat. Plus I figured it would just sink into the soft sand we have here. Love the picture of your boat going into that beautiful lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Very nice, Peter C! Have you posted a DIY launching wheels thread? If not, you should.
Most every add on you see is DIY on the boat. Everyone would laugh at my getup for pulling the super floaty wheels back under the boat LOL Nope don't really want to have my work criticized by show casing my mistakes, or poor welding skills

Quote:
Are those the Wheeleez brand wheels? How much weight do you have to support at the bow when using these wheels? Would it be worthwhile to have a 3rd beach wheel under the bow that clips onto the D handle?
Yes they are the Wheeleez 19" wheels rated for 265#'s each. I keep them at about 3 psi so they float over the soft sandy beaches. The boat went on a diet (IE: Went from a 12 gallon fuel tank to a 6 gallon fuel tank) and we are able to remove 80 lbs in a few seconds. Hence why everything is bungeed, strapped, or slide mounted like the electronics tower, and the save-a-boat-dive kit. Yet in case of flipping everything will stay with the boat. I can move it around myself on solid ground no problem I just put the anchor and chain hanging over the stern, to get it out of the bow. That means I can move it on and off the trailer by myself. Two of us can easily walk it into the water, and I could probably do it myself, but might be hard while wearing all my scuba gear. The more the better getting it out of the water. I did build an elephant trunk and installed a bilge to get the water out, again to keep it lighter. I couldn't find hardly any info on SIB's with bilge pumps (If I remember correctly only one on this board), so I just sewed up and glued in a PVC sock with velcro to hold it in place. At this point I don't see a need for a bow wheel.

Quote:
I have to admit, it took me a while to notice that there was a nice big pair of launching wheels in the picture.
Men

We seem to have a revolving door of beautiful French women. I don't complain. Although I don't get to see 1/8 the amount of bikini's as I did owning a wakeboard boat.
Old 21 October 2012, 00:54   #47

ive found the bow wheels really help. lifting up the boat from the front is a pain with the fuel tanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-10-20-2082.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	73426  
Old 21 October 2012, 04:05   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurk View Post
ive found the bow wheels really help. lifting up the boat from the front is a pain with the fuel tanks.
Are your fuel tank(s) kept in the bow? How many gallons of gas do you carry? Can you temporarily move them to the stern? That is what I do for my anchor and chain, as my fuel tank is against the transom already. I run a 6 gallon for beach launching as we are always scuba diving and tend not to go very far. If needed I have two more 6 gallon tanks too, along with a 12 gallon, although most of the time I only carry a small 2.5 gallon extra gas can.

My thoughts are the bow launching wheels would just add drag, and my guess would be the bow only takes about 50 lbs or so to pick up, so no big deal. I have photographed a nice setup as the one below to make a set, but held off. I still have ebay setup to send me auctions for more Wheeleeze wheels at a low price.

Old 29 October 2012, 03:57   #49

my bow launching wheels are dumped in the bow once launched so no drag. they get fixed with the simple strap.
I have 2 6 gallon tanks, an air pump and the wheels in the bow area as shown. i go around 30-40 miles so i generally use 1 tank and keep 1 in reserve. at full throttle i burn 1.5 gph but i usually go 1/2 to 3/4 throttle at 4500 rpm or so.

this is the pacific ocean just off indian arm. decent area for sibbing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-10-28-030.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	73683  
Old 21 November 2012, 19:32   #50

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post

Those wheels look huge! Did you get them from an old Boeing 747?