Old 25 May 2018, 10:32   #1

Town: Shipley
Make: F-Rib
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mariner outboard 6hp
Some advice please

My interests are using SIB as platform for nature photography - replacing SeaKayak which is a bit perilous for all but the most waterproof cameras.

First outings will probably be Keyhaven etc as I know the area well. Probably doing more along Dorset coast - Kimmerage ledges, Chapman's Pool etc later inbsummer.

In the first instance I have a 3m SIB with solid floor - rated up to 6HP outboard.

My thoughts about engines - I would like something as quiet as possible - I would like something capable of coping with bit of a tide.

So do I go for something like 5/6 hp 4 stroke or would Torqeedo 103SC work all Brit without startling performance

Any real life experience of these engines would be appreciated. Tried listening to sound on You-tube reviews but often badly recorded or with music over dubbed.

I guess the nub of the question is will a bigger petrol engine run on part power making less noise than electric inevitably run a higher revolutions. In fullness of time will probably get both and electric and petrol engine (bit of a redundancy freak) but for this summer and some relately modest forays probably only one on cards
Old 25 May 2018, 11:51   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Modern 4 strokes are so quiet at low speeds... I've just mentioned in another thread that trolling on tickover through wildlife areas is a major 4-stroke advantage.

A Suzuki 6hp (as an example) can be had for under £1000... I think the Torqueedo is £500 more and I can't think you'd dare take it to sea without at least one spare battery which is another £500.

Then there is the speed/range. When you were transiting along the coast the 6hp Suzuki would probably plane a 3m SIB one up at 12-15kts so you could reach interesting areas with a standard 12l tank lasting all day. The Torqueedo would be lucky to exceed 5kts and at that plodding speed the £500 worth of battery only last 30mins.

If you had a 2kt current then to make a 3kt headway you'd similarly be using up a £500 battery every 30mins.

For me I really would suffer range anxiety unless keeping to river or estuary and even then it's an expensive option.
Old 25 May 2018, 12:06   #3

Town: Shipley
Make: F-Rib
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mariner outboard 6hp
Thank so Fenlander - that was to be honest my take having thought about it- but was keen to get thoughts of people who had used these engines recents- I am afraid most of my outboard experiences were old style 2strokes
Old 25 May 2018, 12:33   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
I briefly owned a Torqeedo outboard a few years ago. It performed OK, but was rather noisier than I expected. Range was also a major issue.

A four stroke outboard would be best for your situation. A twin cylinder engine will be smoother running than a single, and generally quieter (or at least a less intrusive noise) which is going to mean around 8hp upwards.
Old 25 May 2018, 13:41   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
JK is right re the 2cyl motors but there is a sudden jump in weight/costs for this that may or may not be important to you??

For example the Honda 8hp is £700 more than the 6hp and weights 46kg rather than 27kg of the 6hp.

Mariner are slightly better with a £500 premium for the 8hp and weight of 36kg.

The quietest 6hp is supposed to be the Yamaha which often costs about 10% more than other 6hp models.
Old 25 May 2018, 18:55   #6

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Torqeedo: no no no. I have one for my 12 ft sailing dinghy. I put it on my 310 SIB one day and ended up rowing home after 2 hours of going slowly on the river.

I've dived the Kimmeridge ledges. You don't want to be there with a low powered electric egg whisk with a battery that only lasts any length of time if you keep below half speed.

Modern 4 stroke engines are quiet. A 6 hp will be quiet enough at chugging about speeds. 4 strokes are quieter than 2 strokes. Within sensible limits, larger engines are quieter at low speed because they rev less to achieve the same result.

A 6 hp will also give you the power you need to keep the boat moving when the wind, waves and tide make it hard work.

You can always carry extra petrol in a can. Torqeedo batteries are ridiculously expensive.

Torqeedos are good as auxiliaries for low speed, especially on hard hulls that carry a bit of momentum. They are great on reservoirs where petrol engines are forbidden. I will never use mine on my SIB again.
Old 25 May 2018, 22:27   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
Torqeedo: no no no. I have one for my 12 ft sailing dinghy. I put it on my 310 SIB one day and ended up rowing home after 2 hours of going slowly on the river.

I've dived the Kimmeridge ledges. You don't want to be there with a low powered electric egg whisk with a battery that only lasts any length of time if you keep below half speed.

Modern 4 stroke engines are quiet. A 6 hp will be quiet enough at chugging about speeds. 4 strokes are quieter than 2 strokes. Within sensible limits, larger engines are quieter at low speed because they rev less to achieve the same result.

A 6 hp will also give you the power you need to keep the boat moving when the wind, waves and tide make it hard work.

You can always carry extra petrol in a can. Torqeedo batteries are ridiculously expensive.

Torqeedos are good as auxiliaries for low speed, especially on hard hulls that carry a bit of momentum. They are great on reservoirs where petrol engines are forbidden. I will never use mine on my SIB again.

[emoji106] as much as I like 2 strokes, my DF140 is virtually silent on tickover, the only way you know it's running is the vibration through the hull & the tacho.
It's taken 100 years to perfect the infernal combustion engine & we are now going to chuck it out in favour of a new unproven technology & start again. Give it 50 years & electric vehicles/outboards/planes will be a viable alternative to burning dinosaurs, until then, don't hold your breath, savour those PM10s[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote