Old 04 December 2015, 16:47   #1

Solar trickle charger

Was thinking of rigging a small solar trickle charger up in my Sib.
My engine has no electric feed.
Got a fixed VHF, running off a 20ah, a plotter, running off a 7ah and colour fishfinder running off a 7ah battery.
Was going to get a small solar charger and mount it to my bow box.
Not clued up on electric stuff - question is - is this worth considering.
How much will a small solar panel charge up my battery.
Would probably leave it hooked up to the 20ah to help replenish what's being drawn out of it by the VHF.
Is this worth consideration.
Thanks in advance
Old 04 December 2015, 17:46   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Kaman

Why not look into engine charging solves all your problems solar ok for keeping topped up when not in use had one on a fast fisher wasn't impressed with performance though.

Cheers
Old 04 December 2015, 22:04   #3

Howdy Jeff
Engine charging looks to be an expensive add on.
I do a fair amount of drift fishing and at anchor as well so my engine not running a lot of the time.
Dunno how good the solar chargers are just looking to top my batteries up when away fishing / wild camping over a few days as my current batteries only last me 2 days.
Maybe another couple of batteries would be a better solution??
Old 05 December 2015, 05:59   #4

Length: 3m +
Can't help but think that carrying 3 batteries in a SIB is not efficient.

Your panel will have a power rating in watts. You will struggle to achieve that as that's Max power. Needs bright sun and perfect alignment. Typical estimate is 25-50% of rated power. So a 4W panel given 1W. 1W is 1/12 of an amp. So to replace 1Ah a 4W panel takes 12hours. You can probably take 10Ah out the 20Ah battery before it starts to affect performance. To replace that you need 120hrs in light... With a 4W panel. I'd expect anything above 8-10W becomes problematic for space on a SIB.

You really need to know what you are consuming in typical conditions...
Old 05 December 2015, 07:14   #5

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
In reality a practically sized solar panel isn't going to be of any benefit over the course of a day.

I did see this on the shore of Loch Shiel last year though....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1449303237.046066.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	109951
Old 05 December 2015, 07:47   #6

Cheers guys.
S.S your tech break down puts it in perspective.
Not going to get anywhere near enough power from a small solar panel.
I think a deep cycle leisure battery of 40 ah is the way ahead.
I can use my 20 ah as well.
If I'm away from civilisation for 3 or 4 days if conservative (turning plotter and fish finder off when anchored etc) these two batteries should suffice my needs.
Could always keep one of the 7ah batteries handy for emergencies.
Old 05 December 2015, 09:22   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
Howdy Jeff
Engine charging looks to be an expensive add on.
I do a fair amount of drift fishing and at anchor as well so my engine not running a lot of the time.
Dunno how good the solar chargers are just looking to top my batteries up when away fishing / wild camping over a few days as my current batteries only last me 2 days.
Maybe another couple of batteries would be a better solution??
I think you have a 20 tohatsu which has an alternator which will charge at around 14volts put a volt meter in line you can then monitor your battery, cost for that £10 off eBay granted you don't run the engine all the time but that will bang more juice in than a solar panel, as said solar not going to help you need to look at a charging kit (second rectifier & fused loom) for my Suzuki was £106 tohatsu will be cheaper possibly,that would keep you going for your wild camping for a few days a second battery possible but it's getting more complicated and more risk with a spare floating about to be honest 20A battery and charge from engine will be all you need don't forget running to and from you will be charging.

Cheers
Old 05 December 2015, 13:49   #8

Hi Jeff it's a 2010 Tohatsu MFS 20C 4 stroke.
I wasn't sure if it had an alternator or not.
Did some research on the net a few months back and thought that it was going to be too much grief and expense.
I will stick a post in the outboard section and see if anyone has any knowledge of what's required.
Cheers.
Old 05 December 2015, 14:30   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Hi Jeff it's a 2010 Tohatsu MFS 20C 4 stroke.
I wasn't sure if it had an alternator or not.
Did some research on the net a few months back and thought that it was going to be too much grief and expense.
I will stick a post in the outboard section and see if anyone has any knowledge of what's required.
Cheers.
Sorry mate answered your other post before seeing this I had a look on the tohatsu site and they spec an alternator for the 20' what I did was ring up Suzuki with engine info asking can I charge a battery and what do I need.granted it took um four weeks only because out of all the sales team it appeared only one guy knew so it took a while suppose I was in a que and minor in the scheme of things. On the web site quite a few dealers round you so a quick call might get you sorted best way to go mate best of luck.

Cheers
Old 05 December 2015, 22:32   #10

Cheers for your help Jeff.
I'll have a look under the cowling tomorrow and see if there's an alternator in there.
The only thing electrically powered is the small oil presume warning diode.
Must be getting power from somewhere.
There's lots of electrical wiring just behind the fuel hose attachment as I recall.
Hmmmmmmm?
Old 06 December 2015, 10:14   #11

RIBase
There will be two coils under the flywheel one for the ecm one for charging that should be wired so when you get the kit blanks come out and the new loom fits in. You get a second rectifier with the kit and a bracket to make it tidy on mine the engines are set up for electric start with two coils but because it's manual a kit is needed on the small hp range you need the coil as well dought you will need that but looking on the tohatsu site USA prices not too bad showing the coils and kits Clyde outboards are a supplier to get prices.on the Ron hale site look at the 20spec alternator 12v 180watts 12 amp same as Suzuki in fact one site says tohatsu /Suzuki rectifier for sale so they might cross match.

Cheers
Old 08 December 2015, 13:58   #12

I made some enquiries with Clyde Outboatds regarding my electrical dilemma.
Guy I spoke to was brand new and completely honest with me when I described my needs.
He turned down the opportunity to sell me an outboard charging kit to allow me to charge my battery in my Sib from the outboard.

He said it was not the best option for my needs.
Instead he recommended utilising my current batteries and purchasing an XS power pack to recharge my plotter, hand held VHF and run my fish finder over my away days.

They XS pack cost around 100 squid and I can think of other applications I could use them in - small compact and even capable of jump starting a large 4x4. It comes with a host of leads etc and it can fit in your pocket.

Apparently they are quickly becoming must have items amongst the boating / camping community in and around Loch Lomond.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-M...701?nav=SEARCH
Old 12 December 2015, 15:05   #13

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hey.. its all way to complicated for me Kaman..but I often go camping in my SIB..for a week or more ..so can tell you the cheapest way to go camping with battery powered stuff

Turn it off when not in use.

My battery which is an old golf trolley battery is 28ah ... and will recharge my phone and my ipad all week plus run my fishfinder when I want it running.

In fact my phone stays charged on its own for almost a week as I put it on aeroplane mode. fishfinder is only on when i want it too..which is not as often as first thought

Not the answer you were looking for..but its another option and it certainly saves money
Old 12 December 2015, 16:38   #14

RIBase
Kaman

Called in at Morton boats today re my NMEA stuff just asked him about your engine you do have a coil two yellow wires coming out beneath the flywheel you just couple up to them with the charging kit cost of that from them £103 + vat if you do go that way try pacer marine might be cheaper mine was £106 inc vat

Cheers
Old 15 December 2015, 11:27   #15

Howdy Gurnard.
I am very much of your school of thot turn it off when not in use and conserve power.
Having added a fixed VHF to the Sib I was hoping to have it switched on during my forays ready for use.
This on or off dilemma left me wondering - do I try and top my batteries up from my engine or buy a larger deep cycle battery and use it sparingly.
Still undecided.
Jeff thanks for your invaluable help and advice.
Your documents and diagram arrived today.
Hope to have a butchers over the next few days and come to an informed decision.
Old 15 December 2015, 11:40   #16

RIBase
no probs mate hope you get sorted.
just on with fitting vhf my self and re-wiring up to make it neater.

cheers
Old 15 December 2015, 11:52   #17

I think you've got the same VHF as mine Jeff??
Not tried mine yet.
Hoping it is worth the hassle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1450183893096.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	110056   Click image for larger version

Name:	1450183930974.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	110057  
Old 15 December 2015, 19:07   #18

RIBase
Quote:
I think you've got the same VHF as mine Jeff??
Not tried mine yet.
Hoping it is worth the hassle.
That's the one good little set for the money. just about finished it, I ripped it out and started again to day because my console is so small I have put everything on an HDPE 10mm sheet 4bolt fixing so easy to get at everything if any probs occur. Reading your thread about the aerial I have mounted on top of the console but kept the full cable length, made it quick release from the boss so I can pull it up to get more height if required.

Cheers
Old 14 January 2016, 06:51   #19
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Boat name: -Unknown-
Make: SeaMax
Engine: Merc/Minn Kota
I use two batteries as I do a lot of night fishing. Though I do have two 25 watt solar panels mounted on top of the home made Bimini, I use one battery for lighting, bilge pump fish finder, cabin and spot lamps... I use the other for my Min Kota Endura C60 Electric Motor, which is a monster deep cycle.

There is a sail-boat battery charging unit that is put over the stern that produces 5-7 amps for charging but the best bet, I feel, is adding the charging kit to the outboard though it won't produce much of any re-charge power without the engine rpm being way-up there. Good Luck.
Old 14 January 2016, 10:15   #20

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Unless you're going to be cranking an engine isn't the suggested lithium polymer a bit of overkill, and expensive? Amazon seem to have one at about £65 BTW

I'm with Gunard, get yourself a 12v closed cell, deep cycle battery such as in a mobility scooter or kid's ride on truck. £15 - £30 depending on the Ah rating but £30 will get you a 18Ah battery that should last a fair while.