Old 06 August 2007, 12:31   #1

Length: 3m +
Smallest boat for the trip to IoW

I have been using my little SiB ( 3m jobbie with 6 hp outboard ) on the Thames now for quite a while. My brother lives in the IoW and we went to see him this weekend and on the way back on the ferry I was looking at the distance and thought that's got to be 2-3 miles at most, in the little SiB it would take under a hour at say 5knts.

Now put me straight,
1) would the boat be safe to do it in.
2) if not how small a boat could you do the trip in, what sort of engine
3) what equipment would be need to do it legally.
4) Help as you can see I have no idea what so ever !

He lives in ryde, so my idea was to nip over on my own little boat, take it somewhere near him ( recommendations and costs ) he picks me up and I spend the odd weekend with him much cheaper than using the very expensive ferry. Plus it seems like a lot of fun.

Basically I am lookign for a cheap way to get across and see my brother whilst having a bit of fun on the water.

Cheers
Old 06 August 2007, 13:09   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Well I have crossed from Swansea to Ilfracombe which is about 25 miles in my 3.1m Quicksilver with a 15hp engine. The crossing was great fun - we have also done a few other coastal trips. Just make sure you wear lifejackets and put your mobile phone in a plastic bag so you can still use it if you need help. I also carried small flares and spare fuel along with an anchor and 1st aid kit.

Legal equipment? You don't HAVE to carry anything and long may it continue - it is great to get away from it all when on a boat!!!

My main concern would be all the other shipping - you MUST keep looking all around you ALL the time - especially behind!!! Wear something really bright - dayglow orange - the ferries can be scary!!!
Old 06 August 2007, 13:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Well I have crossed from Swansea to Ilfracombe which is about 25 miles in my 3.1m Quicksilver with a 15hp engine. The crossing was great fun - we have also done a few other coastal trips. Just make sure you wear lifejackets and put your mobile phone in a plastic bag so you can still use it if you need help. I also carried small flares and spare fuel along with an anchor and 1st aid kit.

Legal equipment? You don't HAVE to carry anything and long may it continue - it is great to get away from it all when on a boat!!!

My main concern would be all the other shipping - you MUST keep looking all around you ALL the time - especially behind!!! Wear something really bright - dayglow orange - the ferries can be scary!!!

So I might even be able to do it in my SiB, that would be awesome, although I think I might get a slightly bigger one and a bigger engine. I would also have to pick calm days as I don't want to risk it at all.
Old 06 August 2007, 13:53   #4

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Having spent a lot of time in bigger and faster craft in the solent, I would imagine it would be very scarey indeed, it is the busiest piece of water in the country, and when the weather is good, there are an unimaginable number of large gin palaces going in all directions with owners who don't need any qualifications! I would go to Wales and go from Swansea to Ilfracombe - about 500 times safer!

Realistically you would need a waterproof VHF and a flare pack (one of those mini ones would do) as a minimum - anything less is suicidal - read the thread about the sinking boat at the weekend in the Solent if you're not sure, and that was a lot bigger and could have ended up with a fatality - not enough lifejackets, no VHF or flares!

I would also worry about your top speed is 5 knots flat out? Big cargo ships go quite quickly in and out of Southampton water, and they also change direction without warning - you'll need some speed to get out of their way!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2007, 15:04   #5

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
A little on the small side

I would think twice about crossing the Solent in a 3m boat. The sea can chop up and it won't seem like fun, half way across. Also, the wakes made by other ships and ferries can be pretty large.

Possible? Definitely. Worth doing? Might be more hassle than its worth.
Old 06 August 2007, 16:58   #6

Town: Valencia
Length: no boat
Powerboat wake

We had 2 x 60-70 ft motorboats plough past us at 30+ knots this weekend, about 50 meters away. We tried to steer away to avoid them but still they caught up, anyway, the waves must have been 8-10 feet high which is q frightening in a 5m RIB. Apart from that, there´s a 10 ft drop the other side & when you are in the middle you can only see a wall of water front & back.

I am actually researching the Med climate now & its effects on waves as the summer heat creates some really localised winds & v choppy water. Usually early morning & late evening is flat calm, no calm, not a ripple. Mid afternoon it can gust up to 5-6 & the waves are v lumpy.

Cheers all,
Old 06 August 2007, 18:09   #7

Town: East Coast
Make: Chaudron 33
Engine: Black uns
MMSI: dunno wot this iz
Coming from Scotland, when visting the Solent on holiday's, the thing I noticed was the chop can be very confused coming from all directions,
It's was good fun in our 20 phantom, but tried to go from Lee-on Solent to Cowes for a bet in a 10ft couger cub with a 40 yam got 1/2 mile out, stuffed it big time, i was lucky the boat did'nt sink, but our backup witness jetski towed us back.
I you are going to try for Ryde pick flat water and watch for the Hovercraft.
If you try it could i suggest wetsuit/drysuit, lifejacket, anchor, paddles,waterproof VHF radio,flares or put the inflatable in its bag and get the ferry.
Old 06 August 2007, 22:42   #8

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
We wouldn't in our 3.2m 6hp version. We did go from Rhu to Rothesay in her but nearly did not make it back. Fine to launch at Yarmouth, go pootle out, have a bit of fun, even go out to the mid Solent if weather is good - but if you across you have to come back - not always easy or safe after even half an hour's interlude, in a boat of that size.
Old 07 August 2007, 08:18   #9

Town: Mudeford
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90ho Tohatsu
i would not do it in something that can only do 5 knts top speed unless i was totally sure on the tides. I know that the tide runs about faster than that through Hurst at times for example. You also might get very wet from some of the wakes from the larger boats/ships. I would feel a bit vunerable in something that size, but i'm a hey, i'm a wimp
Old 07 August 2007, 10:13   #10

I am generally pretty stupid, think I am indestructable, so that why I asked here.

I looked on ebay and found a few fishing type boats, about 15-18ft, could trail it down there, and they seem to have about 20-40 hp engines on them, think they might be a better option, cost seems to be around the 1000-2000 mark, I know it is not a rib but it is cheaper and dryer ! Might be a better option safety wise.

Does anyone know of a place I could keep the boat whilst I am in ryde ? rough costs ?
Old 07 August 2007, 10:40   #11

Town: Fareham
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki 175Hp
We used to cross the Solent in a little SIB - not exactly sure how big it was, somewhere between 3.5 and 4 metres but we had a 25 on the back which could normally get us out of a little bit of trouble. Although it wasn't the most comfortable thing to do, you couldn't exactly stroll round cowes after the trip.

Price wise i think we picked our up for around £1250, it was a bit old but well trusted and it would fit in a landrover boot and was much easier to launch than i guess a fishing boat would be.
Old 07 August 2007, 11:54   #12

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
I looked on ebay and found a few fishing type boats, about 15-18ft, could trail it down there, and they seem to have about 20-40 hp engines on them, think they might be a better option...
I don't know the Solent at all, but it sounds a bit like our Great Lakes... choppy, confused seas...

All things considered, I think I would prefer a 3m SIB to a 15' "real boat"...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2007, 12:07   #13

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
What is the maximum motor power that your boat rated for, & how fast would the boat go with that motor? If you're in an area with lots of ferry and other ship traffic, a 6 knot maximum speed sounds pretty scary.
Old 07 August 2007, 12:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
What is the maximum motor power that your boat rated for, & how fast would the boat go with that motor? If you're in an area with lots of ferry and other ship traffic, a 6 knot maximum speed sounds pretty scary.

7hp, it does around 6knots with the engine on it at the mo, after reading this I think it is best that I get some more seaworthy. It is great for the thames and the odd canal even a little bay in orkney, but I think not the greatest for the busy solent
Old 07 August 2007, 12:53   #15

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
You need something like this, with a 25 hp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2786[1].JPG
Views:	352
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	29065  
Old 08 August 2007, 12:04   #16

Town: farnborough
Length: no boat
I have done the trip from hayling island to bembridge by myself back in april this year.This was in a bombard aerotec 380 and a 25hp engine.I took with me tools,gps,flares,spare spark plugs and 2 phones.
I think you would need at least a 10hp or more to do the trip as when i did it the weather was good and the sea calm but mid-way the sea was quite lumpy and was knocking me off the plane.So it was comforting to have the extra power to get through it and back on the plane.It took me about 40 minutes to do the trip.
Old 11 August 2007, 18:29   #17
Administrator

Town: Brighton
I've just been from Portsmouth to Cowes and back today in a 3.4m inflatable with a 15hp motor.

I'm reasonably experienced, had the normal safety kit on board, and best of all the weather was great. It was busy out there, with some interesting wakes to deal with, but we had no dramas.

Picking the right weather for this sort of jaunt makes all the difference between a fun day out and a miserable fight. Even in conditions like today I wouldn't be keen to do it in anything much smaller or less powerful.

John
Old 11 August 2007, 21:15   #18

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Having spent a lot of time in bigger and faster craft in the solent, I would imagine it would be very scarey indeed, it is the busiest piece of water in the country, and when the weather is good, there are an unimaginable number of large gin palaces going in all directions with owners who don't need any qualifications! I would go to Wales and go from Swansea to Ilfracombe - about 500 times safer!

Realistically you would need a waterproof VHF and a flare pack (one of those mini ones would do) as a minimum - anything less is suicidal - read the thread about the sinking boat at the weekend in the Solent if you're not sure, and that was a lot bigger and could have ended up with a fatality - not enough lifejackets, no VHF or flares!

I would also worry about your top speed is 5 knots flat out? Big cargo ships go quite quickly in and out of Southampton water, and they also change direction without warning - you'll need some speed to get out of their way!
Ditto all of the above. I test ran my boat out of Warsash before buying it. It was bedlam!! I wouldn't want to be bobbin' about in a dinghy in that area.
Old 02 August 2008, 17:42   #19

Town: Devon
Boat name: Junk at the moment
Make: Avon
Engine: Yamaha 4hp 2t
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but as an islander it has occurred to me that no one has mentioned crossing for Lymington to Yarmouth. This is the shortest distance between the mainland and the island so should be ideal for crossing in a sib.

I hasten to add I have not done this so if anyone knows why it is not a good idea please let me know.
I am thinking of visiting family this way in a Bombard aerotec 380 with a 15hp two stroke.
Mike
Old 04 August 2008, 13:39   #20
Administrator

Town: Brighton
No problem at all - just pick some decent weather and watch out for the ferries!

John