Town: Port Talbot
Boat name: Fox Cub
Make: Wetline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Evinrude 4hp 2stroke
RIBase
Small amount of ingress of water in SIB

Hi,

We took the inflatable on a stretch of canal (not navigable, due to lots of weed, but we only tried it in around 35-40 metres of stretch) to test out the boat, and I noticed that between the slatted floor, there was a trickle of water coming in. Putting a (gentle) bit of pressure with the foot seemed to increase it. Over the half hour or so it did not come in enough to reach our feet (which were of course on the slats) but I am wondering two things (maybe three).

Is this normal?

Would the tubes keep us safe even if the floor got flooded out? (bailing bucket or jug will be on board, just in case).

When washing it down I looked at the bottom of the floor, which appeared sound, with no gravel tears etc, and no obvious coming away of the tube-floor at any point.

As an aside, we also noticed the tubes were not as solid as when we started, but I think probably taking a clamshell and topping them up whilst on the water, as temperature. atmospheric pressure and sun can alter the pressure?

Many thanks in advance for advice/input on this; we hope to take it on the bay next, when we get millpond forecast

It's a 2.6m Wetline ECO slatted floor.....
Old 06 September 2014, 13:02   #2

Length: 3m +
[QUOTE=Ty Williams;644412] I noticed that between the slatted floor, there was a trickle of water coming in. Putting a (gentle) bit of pressure with the foot seemed to increase it.

Is this normal?[quote]
No. Water belongs outside the boat.

Quote:
Would the tubes keep us safe even if the floor got flooded out?
Maybe.

Safe probably. Navigable possibly not. If your fuel tank is strapped in and water comes above it then you will get water in the tank or be unable to get air in which makes getting fuel out harder. If tank not strapped down it will usually float... If boat FULL it can float out of boat

Quote:
As an aside, we also noticed the tubes were not as solid as when we started, but I think probably taking a clamshell and topping them up whilst on the water, as temperature. atmospheric pressure and sun can alter the pressure?
True. But so can leaky seams, punctures and blown valves.

Blow it up on a cloudy day at say 10am. Leave in shade and check at say 4pm. Doesn't prove no leak during movement but if loose pressure you know its not temp...

Cold water may reduce pressure so ideally top up once on water.

Would be concerned that squidgy tubes plus filled with water is a far worse situation than either alone.
Old 06 September 2014, 17:03   #3

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Mmm does not sound great tbh
Old 06 September 2014, 17:29   #4

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Not unusual for tubes to soften a bit when you put it onto cold water but not a dramatic amount...

Can you sit the boat off the ground on some trestles or a couple of garden benches so that the tubes are supported then half fill it with water ? If it goes in it might come out.... Pick a dry day so that you can see any damp patches.
Old 06 September 2014, 17:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Not unusual for tubes to soften a bit when you put it onto cold water but not a dramatic amount...

Can you sit the boat off the ground on some trestles or a couple of garden benches so that the tubes are supported then half fill it with water ? If it goes in it might come out.... Pick a dry day so that you can see any damp patches.
Was thinking similar, could be a weeping seam, only trouble is, ask a plumber, where it comes out isnt where it is leaking from....
Old 07 September 2014, 12:23   #6

RIBase
Just typed a response which disappeared, so hope it does not duplicate post..

I recall that when we returned, the cover had not been fitted to the port side tube valve, so the valve could have been knocked... When I pumped it up, I was afraid to go too far, as I do not have a gauge, there was some spring in the tubes as you press with your hand, before we launched, so chances are, I did not pump it up enough.

Thank you for your replies and advice. I think we may return to that gentle stretch of canal and try again, with some more air in the tubes and see what it's like. The ingress of water was very much a small trickle, and probably amounted to less than half a cupful; it may have been when I placed my foot on the gap between the boards. We have a sponge and small jug just in case. Should the tubes be very taut, as in make a specific sound when tapped, for example? Sorry if these questions appear a bit silly, but I am trying to get my head round pumping pressure and stuff before looking at the seams etc. Many thanks
Old 07 September 2014, 15:58   #7

Get a gauge, the tubes should be firm, bounce a tennis ball off them taut. The sound will change with the size of the chamber so not so helpful.

As for the water no problem if its coming from the occupants/splashing but is if coming from underside.
Old 07 September 2014, 16:52   #8

Town: Oakland CA
A lot of SIBs have leaky drain plugs. Especially if you run with just the flapper valve (i.e. leave the actual plug out.) But I've seen them leak even with the plug in place.

jky
Old 07 September 2014, 19:15   #9

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Williams View Post
I recall that when we returned, the cover had not been fitted to the port side tube valve, so the valve could have been knocked...
Almost all valves leak and the "Cover" is actually the true seal.

You must have a gauge to get it set to the proper pressure.

As to the leak, you seem to know where it is so it should be easy to mark out and repair.
Old 08 September 2014, 10:00   #10

RIBase
Update: Took it out on the canal stretch yesterday, and the good news is that no water came in at all. The bad news is that the tube was not taut, and when I tried to use the clamshell to pump it up, it made it a bit worse... slatted floors are not designed for footpumps...tried it accordion-style and that failed after one or two compressions

A neighbour has allowed me to use his compressor (with gauge) to pump up the tubes and leave it/listen for air escaping etc... I always place it on a three inch self-inflating mat to ensure gravel or such does not snag it...
Old 08 September 2014, 10:23   #11

RIBase
Another important note: I am sure you will all be very aware of this, but when the tube lost pressure (I let some air out whilst trying to top it up!) performance went completely awry. Steering was so difficult, the motor could not be used in such a narrow lane, and rowing with the oars was a bit of a lottery. I managed to get it back by using oars as both power and steering using a method that I am sure looked like I was wrestling with an octopus after swallowing a puffer fish....

Being the optimist (always) it happened on calm waters. It is a good experience, as like with a blowout on a motorway, you don't want it to happen, but if you got it to the hard shoulder safely, that's a positive. Oh, and when the tubes were (maybe) fully inflated, we got just over 3mph flat out. Not sure if that 's par for the course. My wife and I with extra fuel probably weigh around 150-180kg combined. All at the stern of the craft.

I'm new, but learning all the time, thanks to all on here who help so much.
Old 08 September 2014, 12:05   #12

RIBase
Yet another update: Used me friend's compressor to inflate the tubes. Did not get a reading as the tyre-type fitting let a little air out of the hose. Still managed to pump it up, and wow the tube "pings" when you tap it so is certainly inflated! We shall probably get a Bravo BP12 which will take guesswork out of the equation, and I now know we have really not been pumping up right, as sitting on the tubes had give in them (you went down about three inches, resulting in wet shorts on times... I have a Halkey-Roberts adapter, so that should work fine, it's just getting funds together.

"Learning all the time", one mistake at a time...
Old 08 September 2014, 20:05   #13

Also when touring with passengers have them move forwards some. You do not want all the weight at the stern. They may even need to move almost to the front.

Leaks are best located with soapy water. JKY shared using a garden spray and that is what I have been using for a while now. A spray bottle will get the job done...just slower.
Old 08 September 2014, 20:06   #14

RIBase
Found the leak....

Tubes were pumped up and left for a few hours. Starboard tube became soft, with about two inches travel when you put hands on with weight. Got washing up liquid and water, and tested the valve area first. Finally pinpointed it (no pun intended) as a small dot which would not wipe off was actually a minute hole. Bubbles gently emerged when the liquid was applied. Marked it with a sharpie (the only sharp thing allowed near the boat!) and I have left it in the yard (Fully enclosed and secure) to check the other tubes in the morning. Checked them a half hour ago, and they are solid and taut as a drum. I hope there is only one puncture, and sadly we now have to wait for funds to get a kit (bought it used; no kit was with it) and a good pump with gauge....
Old 09 September 2014, 13:27   #15

RIBase
Left overnight in the yard, the starboard tube had lost some air, feeling squidgy, but on a brighter note the port and bow were solid and like a drum

Checked thoroughly over the starboard tube after pumping it up tight, and confirmed there is a tiny hole, which is letting air out gradually. Sitting on the tubes probably made it go down even quicker. Repair will take place when we can afford a decent kit. Dinghy RIB Inflatable Boat REPAIR KIT WHITE PVC fabric glue Zodiac Wetline YAM | eBay looks like the best. My fishfinder (Lowrance Elite 3x) should be here next week, so hopefully I won't scrape along whatever it was attacked our boat... (submerged goodness knows what).
Old 09 September 2014, 21:44   #16

If it is a tiny pin hole as a TEMPORARY fix you could deflate it and put a drop of super glue on it.

You will need to put a patch with a two part glue. The kit you list is probably perfect for performing the repair, and they do offer different colors of repair material.