Old 08 September 2014, 06:23   #11

Town: Port Talbot
Boat name: Fox Cub
Make: Wetline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Evinrude 4hp 2stroke
RIBase
Another important note: I am sure you will all be very aware of this, but when the tube lost pressure (I let some air out whilst trying to top it up!) performance went completely awry. Steering was so difficult, the motor could not be used in such a narrow lane, and rowing with the oars was a bit of a lottery. I managed to get it back by using oars as both power and steering using a method that I am sure looked like I was wrestling with an octopus after swallowing a puffer fish....

Being the optimist (always) it happened on calm waters. It is a good experience, as like with a blowout on a motorway, you don't want it to happen, but if you got it to the hard shoulder safely, that's a positive. Oh, and when the tubes were (maybe) fully inflated, we got just over 3mph flat out. Not sure if that 's par for the course. My wife and I with extra fuel probably weigh around 150-180kg combined. All at the stern of the craft.

I'm new, but learning all the time, thanks to all on here who help so much.

Old 08 September 2014, 08:05   #12

RIBase
Yet another update: Used me friend's compressor to inflate the tubes. Did not get a reading as the tyre-type fitting let a little air out of the hose. Still managed to pump it up, and wow the tube "pings" when you tap it so is certainly inflated! We shall probably get a Bravo BP12 which will take guesswork out of the equation, and I now know we have really not been pumping up right, as sitting on the tubes had give in them (you went down about three inches, resulting in wet shorts on times... I have a Halkey-Roberts adapter, so that should work fine, it's just getting funds together.

"Learning all the time", one mistake at a time...

Old 08 September 2014, 16:05   #13

Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
Also when touring with passengers have them move forwards some. You do not want all the weight at the stern. They may even need to move almost to the front.

Leaks are best located with soapy water. JKY shared using a garden spray and that is what I have been using for a while now. A spray bottle will get the job done...just slower.
Old 08 September 2014, 16:06   #14

RIBase
Found the leak....

Tubes were pumped up and left for a few hours. Starboard tube became soft, with about two inches travel when you put hands on with weight. Got washing up liquid and water, and tested the valve area first. Finally pinpointed it (no pun intended) as a small dot which would not wipe off was actually a minute hole. Bubbles gently emerged when the liquid was applied. Marked it with a sharpie (the only sharp thing allowed near the boat!) and I have left it in the yard (Fully enclosed and secure) to check the other tubes in the morning. Checked them a half hour ago, and they are solid and taut as a drum. I hope there is only one puncture, and sadly we now have to wait for funds to get a kit (bought it used; no kit was with it) and a good pump with gauge....
Old 09 September 2014, 09:27   #15

RIBase
Left overnight in the yard, the starboard tube had lost some air, feeling squidgy, but on a brighter note the port and bow were solid and like a drum

Checked thoroughly over the starboard tube after pumping it up tight, and confirmed there is a tiny hole, which is letting air out gradually. Sitting on the tubes probably made it go down even quicker. Repair will take place when we can afford a decent kit. Dinghy RIB Inflatable Boat REPAIR KIT WHITE PVC fabric glue Zodiac Wetline YAM | eBay looks like the best. My fishfinder (Lowrance Elite 3x) should be here next week, so hopefully I won't scrape along whatever it was attacked our boat... (submerged goodness knows what).
Old 09 September 2014, 17:44   #16

Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
If it is a tiny pin hole as a TEMPORARY fix you could deflate it and put a drop of super glue on it.

You will need to put a patch with a two part glue. The kit you list is probably perfect for performing the repair, and they do offer different colors of repair material.