Old 15 November 2009, 21:48   #21
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
I've always fancied to think of the UK folk as being distinctly different
You think they're different? Wait until you get a load of us IRISH...

Ask Almost Irish Stoo, he's married to an Almost Irish bird...

Brave lad.
Old 15 November 2009, 21:55   #22
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
Now willk, that there is some funny stuff! I have always found the UK to be an interesting contradiction between extremely civilized culture and an unnecessarily hard life….
WTF is with this UK stuff? My profile says Ireland... IRELAND DAMMIT!!!

UK
Fightin' talk, that is.

Quote:
but I did run across a rather large pierced and tattooed girl in a Dover pub that looked like she could cause some real trama…….

;-} Cheers!
OK, she might have been Irish. Was she with a bloke called Irish Stoo?
Old 15 November 2009, 22:43   #23

Town: Forres
Length: 7m +
Given that the majority of fish slime and blood that you cant get off/out of the bnoat is likely to be in all the litlle nooks and crannies inside of the boat and that I would have thought you'd be able to give the tubes a good scrub.

Would it be necessary to fully sink the sib for this to be effective? Would just dropping/openg the self bailers and or removing the bung so as to flood the deck, much like the sunken searider being discussed elsewhere.

Then anchor it a little way offshore using waders. This would surely stop it being smelled and would also leave it sitting low in the water for heavy weather

Once you wanted to use the boat again all youd have to do is drag it ashore and let it drain if you have launching wheels then this would be farly easy if not then a little muscle should do the job!

Maybe I am missing the point here but if this was a viable option then it would be a lot simpler!
Old 16 November 2009, 08:29   #24

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Isn't there some sort of spray that puts bears off?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2009, 13:26   #25

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
"Bear spray" is not like bug repellent. Essentially it is like mace, a concentrated pepper capsicum mixture in a high pressure canister with a range of about 10 yards or so, used when an aggressive bear gets to close to you (less than 100 yards is too close). It is strictly a last resort thing that is used in an emergency, if the wind isn't right you get almost as much of this as the bear would. Sometimes it puts the bear off, sometimes it just pisses the bear off.

A .375 H&H magnum is much more effective, but less popular amongst the Treadwellian* elements of society.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mountain-bike-yellowstone-bear-spray.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	47496   Click image for larger version

Name:	bear%20spray.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	47497  
Old 16 November 2009, 13:40   #26
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
A bit of a heifer who used to drink in my local used some perfume from Super Drug that would stop any living thing from going to close and she only used a couple of drops behind her ears
Old 16 November 2009, 13:47   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
A bit of a heifer who used to drink in my local used some perfume from Super Drug that would stop any living thing from going to close and she only used a couple of drops behind her ears
"Super Drug" ??? Is that what she would slip into your drink if you weren't looking?
Old 16 November 2009, 16:08   #28

Town: Anchorage
Make: Zodiac MKIII GR
Engine: Johnson 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
WTF is with this UK stuff? My profile says Ireland... IRELAND DAMMIT!!!

UK
Fightin' talk, that is.

OK, she might have been Irish. Was she with a bloke called Irish Stoo?

Oh… my mistake! And please except my sincere apology! I reckon that is a bit like sayin that Alaska and California are pretty much the same as they are both on the west coast…. Also fightin words in some circles….
Old 16 November 2009, 16:14   #29

Quote:
No… the bear sprays are for direct contact only, and have been shown in tests to actually attract bears if they are used as a preventative measure and sprayed all over things….. go figure?

I have heard and seen guys pi*sing all around their camp and their stuff…. Not just due to over indulging, but as a bear encroachment preventative…. Cant say how effective it is though….
Old 16 November 2009, 16:51   #30
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Oh… my mistake! And please except my sincere apology! I reckon that is a bit like sayin that Alaska and California are pretty much the same as they are both on the west coast…. Also fightin words in some circles….
Try Alaska and Canada.

Anyways, about the bears so....
Old 16 November 2009, 19:54   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRO Stewart View Post
Given that the majority of fish slime and blood that you cant get off/out of the bnoat is likely to be in all the litlle nooks and crannies inside of the boat and that I would have thought you'd be able to give the tubes a good scrub.

Would it be necessary to fully sink the sib for this to be effective? Would just dropping/openg the self bailers and or removing the bung so as to flood the deck, much like the sunken searider being discussed elsewhere.

Then anchor it a little way offshore using waders. This would surely stop it being smelled and would also leave it sitting low in the water for heavy weather

Once you wanted to use the boat again all youd have to do is drag it ashore and let it drain if you have launching wheels then this would be farly easy if not then a little muscle should do the job!

Maybe I am missing the point here but if this was a viable option then it would be a lot simpler!

no you're not missing the point, and your suggestion sounds like it may have some merrit! when lake hunting a close friend of mine sets a stout anchor with several rock filled mesh bags attatched about 100 ft from shore with a bouy and a pully. They then run a couple of long lines and pull the SIB out to the off shore anchorage for the night. The thinking is that the bears will not likely swim out to the SIB, although if anchored in shallow water they may wade out to take a taste.....
Old 16 November 2009, 20:11   #32

Town: Forres
Length: 7m +
Quote:
no you're not missing the point, and your suggestion sounds like it may have some merrit! when lake hunting a close friend of mine sets a stout anchor with several rock filled mesh bags attatched about 100 ft from shore with a bouy and a pully. They then run a couple of long lines and pull the SIB out to the off shore anchorage for the night. The thinking is that the bears will not likely swim out to the SIB, although if anchored in shallow water they may wade out to take a taste.....
It sounds to that combining this "trip line" method combined with partial submersion without deflating the tubes would work and would be a lot simpler than the other alternatives

Would probably be worth trying the submersion and laying of the temporary trip line somewhere other than bear teritory first
Old 16 November 2009, 20:40   #33

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
Quote:
"Bear spray" is not like bug repellent. Essentially it is like mace, a concentrated pepper capsicum mixture in a high pressure canister with a range of about 10 yards or so, used when an aggressive bear gets to close to you (less than 100 yards is too close). It is strictly a last resort thing that is used in an emergency, if the wind isn't right you get almost as much of this as the bear would. Sometimes it puts the bear off, sometimes it just pisses the bear off.

A .375 H&H magnum is much more effective, but less popular amongst the Treadwellian* elements of society.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell
Just read the wiki entry, bloddy hell....
Old 16 November 2009, 21:28   #34

Would probably be worth trying the submersion and laying of the temporary trip line somewhere other than bear teritory first [/QUOTE]

Problem being that everywhere is pretty much bear territory…. But I will have several opportunities in lower risk areas before heading to the hunting grounds on the fall!

thanks for the input and advice!
Old 16 November 2009, 21:38   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_Jubb View Post
Just read the wiki entry, bloddy hell....

Yea but what they don’t tell ya on wiki is that Timmy boy was a first class idiot…. He had been jack-assing around with those bears for years and EVERYBODY was commenting on how he would eventually become a statistic. It really is amazing some of the photo work he was able to accomplish, and that he was able to get away with playing with the bears as long as he did. The sad thing is that when he finally managed to get himself killed, that he took his girl friend with him….

You ought to read the transcripts or hear the audio tape of their last few minutes…. Truly the stuff that nightmares are made of. The Fish and Game guys theorize that her high pitched screaming while Timmy was getting eaten, was akin to a dying rabbit squeal and may have drawn the bear into her tent…. Who can say, but never the less, they both met an awful fate that I go to great lengths to insure that I will never experience firsthand….
Old 16 November 2009, 22:14   #36

Quote:
Yea but what they don’t tell ya on wiki is that Timmy boy was a first class idiot….
Not to be outdone by another epic failure of an ex-Alaskan adventurer named Christopher "Into the Wild" McCandless. Hubris and complete cluelessness about just how clueless one really is, can be a deadly mixture in the Canadian & Alaskan wilderness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_McCandless
Old 16 November 2009, 22:21   #37
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
and complete cluelessness about just how clueless one really is
I try to explain this to people who "aren't bothered by the boring safety stuff".

"Just 'cos ya don't know fire burns, don't mean the flames won't burn ya!"

Old 17 November 2009, 17:30   #38

Scott,

Here are a few more ideas for away from shore anchoring;

http://www.neilmoomey.com/howtos/anchor_buoy/

http://www.tuggyproducts.com/anchorbuddy.html

Also;

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildl...y/1000278.html
Old 17 November 2009, 21:19   #39

Town: Hampshire
Length: 3m +
Just for the record this is my thread

How to hide sibs from bears.. brilliant.
Old 18 November 2009, 14:05   #40

Thanks for the info prairietuber, I am especially grateful that you didn’t suggest that I Google “Tuggy Products”….. Lord knows what kind of sites might have come up on that search!

Ahhh, the ADN… our local daily dead fish wrapper… they put out a good story or two a week but that is about it. They are currently occupying themselves by loosing advertisers, readership and hemorrhaging money. They have slashed their staff by nearly 40% and the size of the print paper about the same amount…. It would seem that folks have finally grown weary of their unabashed liberal bias…

Anyway, good story as that is exactly the kind of thing I am worried about! At least they were close enough to a village to summon help.