Old 25 July 2014, 15:13   #1

Town: Northern Alabama, USA
Boat name: Fire Fly
Make: Dong Seo
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
SIBs on Trailers

SIBs are very lightweight for their physical size which makes them prone to being blown around. I have never had a SIB on a trailer and now am wondering what it would be like if a small T-Storm came by when trailering.
The trailer would also be a lightweight trailer for something as light as a SIB. Would the trailer/SIB combination be a hazard during a T-Storm even though traffic would be slowed down to 40 MPH?
Old 25 July 2014, 19:47   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
You obviously have more severe weather than we do in California, but I never even thought about weather being a problem. My boat and trailer are pushing around 700#'s. The boat is tied to the trailer in 5 places. Two on the transom, two from the front d-rings down to the trailer, and the winch keeps a gentle pull on the bow forward.
Old 26 July 2014, 00:21   #3

Town: Oakland CA
In my case, I'm driving a 5000# truck with a 2500# trailer. It's actually more stable in the wind than the truck alone.

But, that doesn't answer your question. Gusty winds with a light trailer could certainly be a problem, I guess; you might try talking to anyone towing kayaks or small sailboats, and see what they have to say. If those aren't available, maybe a landscaper with an empty box trailer?

I suspect you'd find that it would take a serious gust to do much more than a slight course deviation, but that's just a guess.

Luck;

jky
Old 26 July 2014, 02:02   #4

Town: Northern Alabama, USA
Boat name: Fire Fly
Make: Dong Seo
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Trailer weighs about 250 and inflatable weighs about 110. I was just thinking that that is a lot of windage on only 360 lbs. total.
On another forum, it was suggested that I put small wings on it and fly it like a kits.