Old 27 October 2002, 16:33   #1

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
SIBs

Right, I'm getting sick and tired of not having a boat, and at the age of 17 a proper RIB is out of the question. Can't afford to be paying that sort of amount for the boat in the first place, then I'd need some way of towing it, plus all the extra costs such as insurance and so on.
So, I've decided I might be able to save up for a while and get myself a SIB. Just a few questions...
  • What sort of price am I looking at for a SIB that'll take say 3 or 4 adults?
  • What sort of price am I going to be looking at for a suitable outboard?
  • What sort of sea conditions am I going to be limited to?
I figure that a SIB would be sufficient for a bit of exploring inshore, and also for getting me and friends to less accesible places by the shore for snorkelling and freediving, plus it's something that would fit in the car when on holiday etc.

Thanks for any info,
Matt
Old 27 October 2002, 16:49   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
go for a small avon super sport and a 15-25hp out board. probably get the lot for under a grand if you shop around. Thats what I had when I was 18, all those years ago! Mine carried 5 people and would plane easily with three, I could just about pull a skier with 2.

I had an Avon super sport 3.4m and a 1990ish yamaha 25hp premix outboard. Total cost about £1100 in 1993. (£500 for boat, £600 for engine).

I went round the needles in mine, over to the IoW alot and even out in a force 6-7 once 3 up! Mind you I don't reccommend that. It handled most things I threw at it no problem. I'd still have it now if it hadn't been stolen! (Technically mine was still arib not a sib but tho people could easily carry it with the engine and it was also available with a wooden or aluminium floor).
Old 27 October 2002, 16:55   #3

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Matt,

SIB's have nothing to fear if the wheather get worse. In fact boat's limits extend further than the crew one's.

Keep in mind that all today's ribsters with more than 20 years of experience, began with sibs and one of the main reasons that pushed them to larger boats is consumerism.

A sib has many benefits. Less weight for a start, which requires smaller engines, (less fuel), conveniency on launching and restoring etc.
I've got 2 friends who gave away the rib and joined the sib family for those reasons.

As you approach the subject I think the best thing to do is go for a sib.
As time passes you'll see IF & WHEN you want to upgrade(?).

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2002, 17:08   #4

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
How about £400 ? have a look at this, there are a few to choose from.

http://www.nationwideboatsales.com/

Pete
Old 27 October 2002, 18:18   #5

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Well where do I start.......

Bill has just got himself fixed up with an Avon SIB and a 8hp for about £550.00, secondhand of course.

I could fill this thread with reasons you should get a SIB, but here are a few.

1. Cost - reasonable (under £1,000.00 new)
2. Adaptable - you can snorkel from a SIB no problemo, Karen (Marine Biologist daughter) has done it in the Moray Firth.
3. Portable - Goes in the back of an estate car, can be launched just about anywhere.
4. No trailer needed
5. Loads of fun
6. Cheap to maintain
7. No marina fees
8. No complaints of blocking your drive
9. Cheap to run - hours and hours of boating on a small tank of fuel. Hours per litre, not litres per hour.

Quicksilver is 3.4m and takes 5 adults. Well yes it would, but if you want to go fast (up to 20 mph) and bounce around a bit, we are talking 3 persons. Its a bit like comparing driving a go-kart to driving a car.

It is cat C. Inshore up to 4-5 miles from land. Up to force 6, significant waveheight of 2m. Believe me the crew will give up first. We have been out in some 'fun' conditions. You get wet. Loads of spray. But they are VERY stable. They will not sink even if filled with water (I know from personal experience).

The max engine size for mine is 15hp. This is about the max size you would want to carry for a couple of hundred yards (sorry meters, you are a product of the metric age). Do not go for a much bigger engine, they will be dearer, bigger, heavier and harder to get in the back of the car.

SIBs are a good way to cut your boating teeth.

If you want to know more send me a PM and I will give you a call on the telephone.

At the moment I am about to get out my voodoo doll (yes, I really do have one, ask Bill) and I am going to christen it 'Matt'. Then I will stare at it and chant, "Buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB".

Hope this helps.

Keith (watch out there's MORE SIBs about) Hart
Old 27 October 2002, 20:23   #6

Thanks for all the advice...

Definately going to get one, now it's just a case of waiting till I have the money, then deciding on a boat and outboard. I'll also definately keep an eye out for second hand boats and outboards. Had a quick look at the Quicksilver range of boats, look very nice indeed.

With any luck, I'll have myself a boat for the RIBnet mass meeting, if it's still on....

Ta,
Matt (stop sticking needles in that doll, Keith) Brown
Old 28 October 2002, 06:08   #7

Matt

If you can get together a few hundred smackers you can then keep your eye out for a secondhand SIB. If you have folding money you are always in a strong bargaining position. Probably best to get the boat first. Then you will know what size engine to look for.

Here is a picture of the SIB (AVON) Bill got for £250.00. The engine was on loan from David Manning. £250.00! Where else could you buy that much fun for £250.00 (okay, okay, keep it clean folks)?

Keith (Soft on SIBs) Hart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bill boat.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1264  
Old 28 October 2002, 12:16   #8

Well, today parents finally paid me the money they owed, so I'm now £200 better off, so I'm well on my way to getting myself a SIB now!
Old 28 October 2002, 12:21   #9

Now THIS is what I call an inflatable........http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/2367313.stm

Keith ( go for it Matt) Hart
Old 28 October 2002, 12:25   #10

Town: Cheltenham
Tiny SIB / RIB

Good for you, get out on the water however you can!

I have very limited use of tiny SIBs, tenders to yachts and taking core samples from lakes in Chile.
But tiny Ribs like the Avon 3.10 with a 9.9hp is a great package that I have used for safety. (Avon 3.45 & 15hp even better!)

OK not a SIB and not as compact, but amazing performance for size and can deal with Force 7 wind and sea state (easy on the throttle though at the top of the wave).

I don't recomend you go out in that sort of weather in one, we did as part of safety fleet, experianced instructor driving and 3 fast boats in sight. After 10 mins decided to tow it around instead.

If you can find a trailer (does not need to be a boat trailer) off you go.

Tiger
Old 28 October 2002, 14:26   #11

Town: Worcester
Boat name: Cheap 'N' Cheerful
Make: Avon C
Length: 3.5 metres
Engine: Mariner 8HP O/B 2 stroke.
I bought my SIB from Boatmart. It is on the internet and you can buy a copy of the magazine from the newsagents.
Bill.
Old 28 October 2002, 16:22   #12

The rule is:

Never buy a boat you cant roll up!

Keith (fold it) Hart
Old 28 October 2002, 17:45   #13

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Quote:
never buy a boat you can't roll up
Sorry Keith not worked out how to quote nicely!

Well talking of rolling boats up my Zodiac 5.85 will roll up and with floor boards fit in a volvo estate I think does that make it a Big Inflatable Boat?
Easier on a trailer though - a lot less puff to inflate it
If any one is looking for a BIB I could be open to offers
Jelly
Old 28 October 2002, 17:59   #14

Jelly

If it goes in the back of a car, then it counts.

Keith (SOS - Save our Sibs) Hart
Old 29 October 2002, 10:12   #15

Matt

Take a look at the information here:

http://www.allinflatables.com/support/index.html

Keith Hart
Old 29 October 2002, 12:15   #16

Town: Cheltenham
Light and conveinent SIB

Jelly,
You and I both know that your SIB will kill a medium sized van let alone a volvo. Its a 2-3-4 man lift at least.
Not exactly convienent to pop down the beach

Its built tougher than most ribs and will certainly take more punnishment!

Tiger
Old 29 October 2002, 13:10   #17

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Tiger
You jest - your camper van survived
I never claimed it was small and gentile
the inflatable equivalent of brick out house, with astetics to match.
I'm sure it would fit in a large estate any way, where were you when it was time to move it off the water anyway!
Jelly
Old 29 October 2002, 21:26   #18

Well it definately seems that 2nd hand is the way to go, just been looking at the prices for new Quicksilver SIBs
If I had the money, I'd be going for the airdeck 340, looks nice.

So now it's a case of searching for a second hand boat. Boatmart doesn't seem to have much on offer on it's website in the way of SIBs currently, nor does BoatsandOutboards.co.uk. Anyone got any other ideas? Or does anyone have a SIB they're willing to sell

Matt
Old 29 October 2002, 21:53   #19

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
It's that time of year when all the IP engineers are puttng their boats away for the winter. So you can pick up a bargain. to get the best deal you have to be proactive

put an add on this website, boats and outboards, hot ribs, rib int if it's free. {aul glatzels website might have a wanted section

contact all the local dive clubs, training clubs and especially yacht clubs as they use these for tenders and tend to swap them out for bigger ones.

All the yacht clubs have notice boards etc.

Additionally you could place an advert in your local free ads, under boats wanted

I presumed you looked in the lineage ads in Boat mart as they usually are a few sibs in the free classified section. Do you want us to Scan the papers down here for you
Old 30 October 2002, 06:21   #20

Matt

Buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB, buy a SIB.........

Guess Who
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bh.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	1270