Old 13 November 2015, 09:23   #1

Town: Bere Peninsular
Make: Seasearch
Length: 4m +
Engine: MarinerMarathon 25
SIBing and Kayaking

We live in South Devon about 2 hundred yards from the river Tavy with a handy slipway when the tide is right.
We bought a 420 SeaSearch in March and a Tohatsu 9.8 to power it. We have had some great times on it but eventually realised if we wanted to take friends or family with us or venture further along the coast we would need a bigger engine.
We have just bought a "hardly used" Mariner 25hp 2 stroke and it certainly pushes the boat along nicely and planes 4 up, no problem.
In July we bought a pair of sit on kayaks, so we could "get out on the water" at the drop of a hat, providing the weather and tides were favourable.
These kayaks were a revelation, gliding along the water with barely the sound of splashing water to disturb the peace.
Absolutely brilliant for watching wild life and a bit of exercise to boot. In fact we used them virtually every day during the summer, weather and tides permitting, retirement is a wonderful thing.
It got to the stage where we cursed every RIB, SIB or anything with a motor that came anywhere near us, especially if they were planing.
Don't get us wrong, we still enjoy SIBing and can't wait to get out in the Spring and venture further afield with friends and family.
We think we have the perfect setup for maximising time on the water, with a mixture of chills and thrills and can thoroughly recommend sit on kayaking if you ever get the chance to try it.
Old 13 November 2015, 12:12   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Don't curse the other boats - enjoy the waves they make. We have sit on kayaks and they are very stable and capable of coping with some fairly decent-sized waves. Just remember to point the bow into the waves so that you cross them more or less at right angles.

That said, it is discourteous and in some circumstances dangerous to take a powerboat past groups of canoeists at high speed. There may be novices, children or disabled paddlers in the group who are not quick enough to cope with sudden waves.
Old 13 November 2015, 14:10   #3

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Use the sib to tow the kayaks, bimble to where you want to be, use the kayak to get inshore, around the rocks, in the caves and then bimble back.

Works for me on occasion.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2015, 14:12   #4

Town: Bere Peninsular
Make: Seasearch
Engine: MarinerMarathon 25
Yeh, a good idea, already got it planned for next season.
Old 14 November 2015, 09:41   #5

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Dont Panic
Make: Zodiac YL 480 DL
Engine: Mercury 75
Sounds very familiar.....!
I also live in South Devon, and use any excuse to get out on or in the water.
My missus keeps telling me that I have too many toys, (Never...!) and that I should have been a fish, as I spend so much time out there.
Sib.
Kayaks.
Stand up paddle board.
Surf board.
Body boards.
Spear gun and snorkel gear.
Scuba gear.

I was bored a while ago, so me and a mate, made a contraption to tether 2 of my kayaks together, and we put a Mercury 2.2 on it. It worked quite well, and we had a laugh testing it....
Old 14 November 2015, 10:05   #6

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Best leaving the petrol at home when using a kayak .. but a sail helps on long multi day trips

Kayak Paradise is silent.. through my eyes anyhoo.

As for waves .. smile and just wave back..they are no problem ..its like riding a bike