Old 07 June 2016, 07:29   #1

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Sibbing with a motorhome?

It's a thought... just a "what if" at the moment... but we're chatting about our SIB use and that operating from a motorhome might give us more flexability.

I assume a SIB and outboard plus kit would all easily stow in a motorhome and we'd have cup of tea, shower etc all to hand.

Something makes me think if we did this it would be with one of those that keeps within the confines of a high top van.

Would be used up to around 12yrs old. Bit like this but not quite so new...

https://www.nickwhalemotorhomes.co.u...32/58_1280.jpg

Anyone do this now or have any previous experience?
Old 07 June 2016, 07:38   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i have a mate does it David he loves it must admit it does appeal to me too but its a big layout still if you have the dosh go for it possibilities are endless.
one thing for me is you are limited to weight a bit and need one with what they call a garage or a small trailer would be better unless your going to have a small car behind then the boat could go in the boot.
he has two boats a small roll up dingy & car tops a lightweight ali boat

cheers
Old 07 June 2016, 07:49   #3

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
There are quite a few guys on the F-Rib site that use motor homes Fenlander. I looked at them..but they cost an arm and a leg .. even older Second hand ones. I didnt think them worth the money..so use my 4x4 ..but thats only suitable for one person..and not much gear. Stray has a lovely one..converted it himself from a Hightop Van. ..looks as good as any camper van too. If he spots this..Im sure he will give details
Old 07 June 2016, 08:22   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
As above the issue with campers is the cost, especially the popular VW models, unbelievably expensive. I've had a couple and done some long tours (6 months and 3 months Europe and 3 months around the UK). Every now and again I come back to wanting one but I'm a Landy man at heart and have not been without a green oval for 20 odd years and a Landy and VW van is a poor combo compared to a Landy and say a fast comfortable hatchback.

If going down that route I'd search out a late T4 German Westfalia - nothing beats a Westy conversion and they bottomed out a long time ago or get a nice late T4 or early T5 and do a part DIY/professional conversion with elevating roof for everyday hassle free use. Still not cheap though as demand for nice un-molested vans is always so high - it used to be cheap and easy. We got a four year old T3 in '94 had a brand new full prof' conversion done and it was £8 k total. To do the equivalent now is so much more. If touring though I'd go the trailer option I think.

I'm looking at buying a camper right now purely for a summer holiday with the kids and then to sell on after - hire charges are ridiculously expensive so makes more sense this way even if for a few weeks use only.
Old 07 June 2016, 10:01   #5

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Something else that I considered.. and may do it yet ... if its only yourself and good wifie for a roaming life in retirement .. why not consider a very small caravan ? Far better value for money..IMO

They have advantages over campervans in that if you leave your pitch to go shopping.. you still have the van to keep your space. Tow it with your everyday car too..no need to have a car and a camper. Not such an outlay as an old motorhome either. Easy to store in a corner of your yard too

I almost ordered one of these when I saw it at the Glasgow caravan Exhibition this year..I was impressed..moved as easy as a small trailer ..and at a tad over 8K brand new.. you would get money back on second hand value if you decided it wasn’t for you. There are bigger small caravans..but more expensive ..and heavier to maneuver on your own.

I can recommend a summer touring great SIBing areas..no need to book anything...just head off when the weather and notion takes your fancy.

Go-Pods.co.uk. Micro Tourer Caravans. Small 2 berth caravans. Teardrop Caravans. Mini Caravans. Best smal caravan. Glamping. Pod Caravans. Teardrop Trailer Tent. Going II Cockpit S caravan.
Old 07 June 2016, 10:03   #6

Town: taunton
Make: zodiac
Engine: 10hp
we do it with a vw T4 camper with a 3.5m zodiac futura...... It fits in a car space, camp in the harbour, use the harbour showers, wake up to beautifully quiet early starts with views of the sea, cook your breakfast before you set off, beats the crowds in the harbour, tea, coffee and comfort when you return, go anywhere any time at short notice, no accommodation costs, no trailer hassle. It works well. I plan to make a roof rack for the boat, so when on longer trips we won't need to inflate/deflate each launch. The outboard and kit fits under the rock'n'roll bed.
Old 07 June 2016, 11:11   #7

Thanks for replies.... food for thought.

Firstly cost.. yep they are so expensive for what they are but it seems as long as you don't buy the very oldest that are about to fall off a cliff repair and cost wise then they do always sell on for robust money. We are very modest in many aspects of life so if we'd get the use/pleasure out of one then it's easily justified.... particularly if it upped the SIB use a bit.

I would put a permanent shower/basin/toilet compartment as an essential for overnights away from proper sites and I think takes out the T4 and/or fold up roof types.

I absolutely would only consider the narrower ones within a standard van shape. My sister upgraded from standard van size to one that is much wider from the cab backwards and they find often they wish for the smaller one again.

If it needed to tow a trailer for a Smart car or other kit I wouldn't have one.

Caravan... makes a lot of sense but it's just not us. I really want the vehicle all in one and not to tow anything.

Yep it's just for self and Mrs Fenlander Gurnard... well plus medium dog... with the possibility if one teen wanted to join us she can get a tent and just use our "facilities".

What might put some perspective on it... Mrs Fenlander has been wondering about us buying a chunky bilge keel sailing boat around 30ft... perhaps with a fair bias towards its motoring ability when needed.... and gradually creeping around the UK over some years. But I have family history of this and know unless you dedicate your life/weekends to the boat then the fun per pound doesn't look great on paper. It would also mean I'd have to refresh a lot of skills and Mrs Fenlander has no experience other than SIBs and other sub 5m smallcraft.

Then we wondered about a sub 6m RIB to extend our range with greater safety but I don't want to tow.

So then we wondered if the motorhome which would cost around the same as a 30ft boat would enable us to get places in a very flexible way with the SIB inside and ready to go whenever and wherever.

So that was the thought process that arrived at a motorhome possibility.
Old 07 June 2016, 11:20   #8

Sell the family silver David and buy this baby Hymer below:

Everything you need, including a garage for the SIB. Not cheap but they hold their value well.

Only thing I really don't like about (non-sliding-door van) conversions is the sometimes claustrophobic feel inside as the big side door on VW Transporter conversions with traditional side kitchen layout gives a great feel of bringing the outside in. Think as well if you really want a shower - pretty useless and a PITA in many compact campers.

When you live in a VW sized camper for 6 months non-stop with your wife to be you really discover what is essential and what is not. And apart from a bed, cooker, hob, fridge, table and storage not much else really is. Keep it simple, compact and easy to take into small towns* etc.

*BIG factor.

Regardless, if you're thinking of spending it is *essential* to visit all the dealers and shows and get a feel for all the different types/sizes/layouts and then to hire one for at least a weekend to try it out 'in the field'.
Old 07 June 2016, 11:35   #9

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I must say the prospect of the total liberation freedom and selfsufiency go to where and when you want with a suitable RIB or SIB on tow or stowed has many attractions for me...

Hadd on here has a fantastic combo of Hymer and a very capable but easily towable RIB which I know a few are thinking emulating in the future....even if it means selling the Family silver!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 June 2016, 11:41   #10

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
My parents have had camper vans since I was a young lad... I hated them back then, but they have grown on me. They started as you are currently discussing with a normal van conversion, think they had a high-top Talbot van as their first... over the years they have increased in size to the current 'coach built' big camper van on a Fiat Ducato chassis. To be honest the big coach-built is no more difficult or weildy to drive than the small van conversion and arguably it's more refined to drive - in terms of living in it, the coach built type is light years more civilised than the simple van conversion... yet I see the attraction of the van conversion for simplicity.

Comment above about a dedicated "garage" for SIB/Engine is pertinent... I think you need a dedicated load-space for your boat, especially if you opt for a van conversion as opposed to something bigger. Are you really going to unload the boat and engine every time you and Mrs Fenlander want to sit in the back and make a cuppa? I think you'll quickly tire of clambering over the boat/engine... and sifting it in/out every night or lunch time or... I urge you to think about this one for a bit... especially if a trailer is out of the question... although, you could follow my lead and stick the SIB on a ball-hitch loader, okay, so i use a bike rack but you can get dedicated boxes that carry circa £50kg...

*EDIT: the last few my parents have had custom converted back home in NI... much cheaper than off-the-shelf... if you want the small van size, perhaps a long wheel base with a garage conversion, to your spec, in the rear doors would meet the needs... I'd investigate that.... I have never seen a 'stock' normal van camper with a big rear load space (big enough) though so I reckon it would be a custom conversion...
Old 07 June 2016, 11:46   #11

Max that Hymer 314SL... lead me to the salesman's desk!

I've watched a few videos and looked their site... they really have thought of everything.

£48k though... that would need some thought for most folks. Wonder if they did similar a few years back that's on the used market?

Edit: Ahh Stig I'd not really thought through where the SIB/outboard might go well enough... appreciate that reminder.

Actually I have most of the skills to fit out a LWB high top van... perhaps contracting out gas plumbing and any window fitting.
Old 07 June 2016, 11:54   #12

Everything is out there in camper land, but boy do the dealers know how to charge. And so much of the chintzy, cr@ppy build (including big names, flimsy is not the word) will put you off.

I know you like your research but once you start trawling dealers you will get a real feel for them. I used to *really* be into campers, did a semi DIY build etc, imported one direct from Germany, did so much planning over the years - will probably buy another once the kids grow up.

Anyway, no-one can tell you what camper will suit as everyone's needs and priorities are endlessly variable but it's great fun looking.

SIB and engine *inside* a panel van conversion is a non-starter though (I'd trailer) but the Hymer size above would be the smallest practical camper I think to accommodate stuff inside.
Old 07 June 2016, 12:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
did a semi DIY build etc,
That's what I'd do... if I had the time... pick up a long wheel based Tranny and build something that adequate meets my needs and doesn't cost the earth... as for the "flimsy" comment... I agree, all campers I have encountered do not age well, you'd think they'd have cracked that nut by now...
Old 07 June 2016, 12:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
That's what I'd do... if I had the time... pick up a long wheel based Tranny and build something that adequate meets my needs and doesn't cost the earth... as for the "flimsy" comment... I agree, all campers I have encountered do not age well, you'd think they'd have cracked that nut by now...
Yes, most VW van conversions are pretty good and some of the high end VW custom stuff is unbelievably beautiful in fit, finish and quality but...the average coach built fiat based model at your local motor-home dealer is made of tissue paper and tin foil.
Old 07 June 2016, 12:15   #15

When we renovated our last place and needed somewhere to cook and eat while the kitchen was ripped out I bought a caravan... about 18ft and 15yrs old at the time. Didn't worry me as I wasn't in it for the long haul (!) but more rabbit hutch than bespoke quality under the "flash".

I really don't know why they have to use upholstery patterns the same as the old 3-piece suites that go through our local auction under a tenner.
Old 07 June 2016, 12:20   #16

Idea of used (2007) compact Hymer:

Hymer HV 572 CL 2/3 Berth Motorhome 2.2 T/D Ford 2 Fixed Single Beds | eBay
Old 07 June 2016, 12:21   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I really don't know why they have to use upholstery patterns the same as the old 3-piece suites that go through our local auction under a tenner.
And that God-awful 'wood' veneer... is there only 1 upholstery supplier globally for camper/caravan interiors?
Old 07 June 2016, 12:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
That's no dissimilar to one my parents had a few back, note the huge door at the back... that was a cavernous garage, perfect for a SIB and engine and life jackets, fuel, batteries, boxes, ringos, skis, tents, sleeping bags...

Do it Fenlander, you know you want to...
Old 07 June 2016, 13:14   #19

>>>Do it Fenlander, you know you want to...

I do in many ways... if only that new Hymer 314SL Max linked was in a lower price bracket... it's 99% designed around the whole idea we'd had at the outset.

I wonder if they (used ones) get cheaper in the winter?

What started us thinking of one was the videos of these guys on YouTube which we've used to research areas for sibbing....

Catch a quick view of their large van type at 9min52sec.
Old 07 June 2016, 13:30   #20

Town: Oop North
We looked at all the motorhomes and conversions, but couldn't find anything that suited our needs or wallet, so I built my own.

The hardest part is getting the right van, after a lot of research I decided a long wheelbase hightop X250 Boxer/Ducato/Relay would be best for what I wanted. They are the widest vans in their class so being under 6ft tall we can sleep crosswise. I ended up buying a Citroen Relay and a write off Baily Pageant caravan for parts and made a comfortable 3 berth, with all the amenities we need. Total cost in 2011 for an 08 van, caravan, windows and other bits, was a shade over £10k. Amount of fun and freedom we've had, priceless.
We've been all over Europe in it, but now my daugher is at Uni I've altered the back to accomodate a SIB, that's why I bought the F-rib.