Old 08 June 2016, 07:57   #31

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Lovely outfit Hadd but honestly a large motorhome and/or towing are just not my thing. Shame as the larger motorhome give more choice on the used market.

Stig that's quite a cool idea* and would impress van geeks every time you stopped but anything we have needs us to be able to leave the front seats and walk internally to a full standing headroom with all facilities in place.

*I reckon you could send Gurnard the base van and he'd make something like that with bits he has tucked away!

Old 08 June 2016, 11:17   #32

Length: 5m +
Max, plenty of room in the T5 / T6. We usually have 2 adults, 2 kids and 2 springers in ours, plus all the other clobber. See 2 recent pics, one from late Feb and one from the ERR.
Went for a 4-motion Cali rather than Motorhome for all the size reasons mentioned but also it tows, launches and recovers more easily than a 2WD Motorhome. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1465399014.483371.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	113603Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1465399034.201777.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	113604

Old 08 June 2016, 11:30   #33

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Spent all day looking as mentioned earlier and have to say - what a load of cr@p. Same as always really, nothing changes - been going to Motorcaravan shows since the early 90's. We did not look at any Hymers' but all the coachbuilts really are horrible inside still, flimsy, cheap, claustrophobic, daft design and (non) usage of space. And blooming massive vehicles that would be useless visting little French towns, car parks etc.

Chunk - we're on the same wavelength I think - a nice VW conversion is what we'd still go for and squeeze the kids in somehow. I did look into this a year or so ago and spent ages in the VW Cali showroom. I came down in favour of the Beach with a removable kitchen pod but regardless they are all so much money.
Old 08 June 2016, 11:37   #34

Length: 5m +
Have to say the Beach with a portable hob / BBQ is probably the best option. Unless the weather is atrocious we normally cook outside and the sink is too small to really use for anything other than washing hands or filling the kettle (why not use a bottle).
A lot of money, but you will get it back when you come to sell. I convinced the wife it was better being used in a van that gave us fun and family time than sitting in the bank getting bugger all interest.
Good luck on the search!
Old 08 June 2016, 11:46   #35

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
That's true - no better vehicle for lack of depreciation really.

I particularly liked the 2 rear seat model but these are very rare in the UK. This came closest to our older T3 with wide bed but windows all round (no full height wardrobe) for great panoramic views and a large bed compared to the Cali. You could then fit or buy the removable cooking pod. I know the Germans were much more into these (Multivan) types VW's than the Brits. We were shortchanged a bit though as the UK Beach is based on a much lower spec version than the German one.

Fenlander - forgot to say, one of the beauties of the Cali is the sliding seat rail system so you could just slide this forward somewhat to the travelling position to get the boat engine in the back and just use the top bed.

Anyone looking at these I can recommend the UK Cali forum - really helpful bunch on there:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/home/
Old 08 June 2016, 13:34   #36

Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
I've often thought a camper van would go very well with a sib and that I'd look into it when my boy gets a little older.

I've fitted transfers to a few campers, great big ones where the sides come out or little van conversions (I thought a LWB hi top sprinter was a common van to do this to). Some of the vans had been decked out to take motorcross bikes so had plenty of space in the rear (half height garage as the bed was above, still enough room to get a bike or boat under though). One I remember had a toilet and shower, was really well done.

I've often thought that if I was to look at a camper I'd look for something like this though;

Ford 6 Berth Motor home / Camper Van, with awning and sides. | eBay

plenty of room, out on the road no different to a car to drive (my Dad used to have luton backed vans and they were fine, though you're right about car parks) and has pretty much everything you'd need for a few nights etc.
Old 08 June 2016, 15:49   #37
RIK

Town: Hertfordshire
Boat name: Five-o
Make: Tornado 645
Length: 6m +
Engine: mercury Optimax 150
I went down the VW California root
Dsg 204ps 4motionClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1465415336.185879.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	113605

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Old 10 June 2016, 09:21   #38

Well our motorhome trial was under our noses all the time... Mrs Fenlander remembered her organisation has one for the benefit of it's people on a non-profit contribution basis and she's just sent me the details.

A tester 3-day break when available this summer is just 99 compared with 450+ for a hire company for the same vehicle/period.... and minimal paperwork/no small print.

It's a nearly new Bailey 665 6-berth as in the images below. Not exactly what we'd choose but it will be great start to seeing if we get on with one.

So... any ideas for a site next to the coast/beach within England (to keep the travel down to reasonable amount for just 3 days)... starting from West Cambridgeshire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bailey 665.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	113636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bailey 665 layout.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	113637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bailey 665 int.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	113638  
Old 10 June 2016, 10:00   #39

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
beadnell nr seahouses campsite on the shore well across the road launching in beadnell

cruse out to the farn isles long beach to walk the dog good pubs for food.

cheers
Old 10 June 2016, 12:08   #40

Thanks Jeff I'll give that a Google.