Old 07 June 2016, 07:46   #11

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Max that Hymer 314SL... lead me to the salesman's desk!

I've watched a few videos and looked their site... they really have thought of everything.

48k though... that would need some thought for most folks. Wonder if they did similar a few years back that's on the used market?

Edit: Ahh Stig I'd not really thought through where the SIB/outboard might go well enough... appreciate that reminder.

Actually I have most of the skills to fit out a LWB high top van... perhaps contracting out gas plumbing and any window fitting.

Old 07 June 2016, 07:54   #12

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Everything is out there in camper land, but boy do the dealers know how to charge. And so much of the chintzy, cr@ppy build (including big names, flimsy is not the word) will put you off.

I know you like your research but once you start trawling dealers you will get a real feel for them. I used to *really* be into campers, did a semi DIY build etc, imported one direct from Germany, did so much planning over the years - will probably buy another once the kids grow up.

Anyway, no-one can tell you what camper will suit as everyone's needs and priorities are endlessly variable but it's great fun looking.

SIB and engine *inside* a panel van conversion is a non-starter though (I'd trailer) but the Hymer size above would be the smallest practical camper I think to accommodate stuff inside.

Old 07 June 2016, 08:08   #13

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
did a semi DIY build etc,
That's what I'd do... if I had the time... pick up a long wheel based Tranny and build something that adequate meets my needs and doesn't cost the earth... as for the "flimsy" comment... I agree, all campers I have encountered do not age well, you'd think they'd have cracked that nut by now...
Old 07 June 2016, 08:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
That's what I'd do... if I had the time... pick up a long wheel based Tranny and build something that adequate meets my needs and doesn't cost the earth... as for the "flimsy" comment... I agree, all campers I have encountered do not age well, you'd think they'd have cracked that nut by now...
Yes, most VW van conversions are pretty good and some of the high end VW custom stuff is unbelievably beautiful in fit, finish and quality but...the average coach built fiat based model at your local motor-home dealer is made of tissue paper and tin foil.
Old 07 June 2016, 08:15   #15

When we renovated our last place and needed somewhere to cook and eat while the kitchen was ripped out I bought a caravan... about 18ft and 15yrs old at the time. Didn't worry me as I wasn't in it for the long haul (!) but more rabbit hutch than bespoke quality under the "flash".

I really don't know why they have to use upholstery patterns the same as the old 3-piece suites that go through our local auction under a tenner.
Old 07 June 2016, 08:20   #16

Idea of used (2007) compact Hymer:

Hymer HV 572 CL 2/3 Berth Motorhome 2.2 T/D Ford 2 Fixed Single Beds | eBay
Old 07 June 2016, 08:21   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I really don't know why they have to use upholstery patterns the same as the old 3-piece suites that go through our local auction under a tenner.
And that God-awful 'wood' veneer... is there only 1 upholstery supplier globally for camper/caravan interiors?
Old 07 June 2016, 08:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
That's no dissimilar to one my parents had a few back, note the huge door at the back... that was a cavernous garage, perfect for a SIB and engine and life jackets, fuel, batteries, boxes, ringos, skis, tents, sleeping bags...

Do it Fenlander, you know you want to...
Old 07 June 2016, 09:14   #19

>>>Do it Fenlander, you know you want to...

I do in many ways... if only that new Hymer 314SL Max linked was in a lower price bracket... it's 99% designed around the whole idea we'd had at the outset.

I wonder if they (used ones) get cheaper in the winter?

What started us thinking of one was the videos of these guys on YouTube which we've used to research areas for sibbing....

Catch a quick view of their large van type at 9min52sec.
Old 07 June 2016, 09:30   #20

Town: Oop North
We looked at all the motorhomes and conversions, but couldn't find anything that suited our needs or wallet, so I built my own.

The hardest part is getting the right van, after a lot of research I decided a long wheelbase hightop X250 Boxer/Ducato/Relay would be best for what I wanted. They are the widest vans in their class so being under 6ft tall we can sleep crosswise. I ended up buying a Citroen Relay and a write off Baily Pageant caravan for parts and made a comfortable 3 berth, with all the amenities we need. Total cost in 2011 for an 08 van, caravan, windows and other bits, was a shade over 10k. Amount of fun and freedom we've had, priceless.
We've been all over Europe in it, but now my daugher is at Uni I've altered the back to accomodate a SIB, that's why I bought the F-rib.