Old 28 June 2018, 19:58   #1

Town: Reading
Boat name: JALSA
Make: Honwave T32IE2
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF6
Sibbing on Thames/Lock Experience

Hi All,

Has anyone had any experience dealing with Locks on Thames, especially in the Berkshire area? I have been doing some search on this topic to prepare myself for my first voyage, once I get my first SIB, and strangely the user experiences on other forums/sites have all been negative. Most common concerns are:

1. Lock keepers do not open the Lock if you are the only craft waiting. Expectation is that some larger vessel has to come for the Lock to open.

2. Strong currents from side vent water flow.

3. Larger vessel skippers being inexperienced and banging into smaller ones.

There are some really scary stories and wanted to know from someone who has done sibbing on the Thames, especially in the Berkshire area, about their experience.
Old 28 June 2018, 21:03   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
I wouldn’t let the thought of licks put you off. In my experience lock keepers are very accommodating and will do all they can to help. It’s normally best if small boats enter the lock last after the bigger ones are safely tied up. Some locks have strong currents, but if you’re at the back they won’t affect you too much. Lock keepers will let you know if you need to watch out.

Unfortunately though, lock keepers are becoming few and far between with many lock on self service for most of the time. It’s easy enough to work the locks as they all have electric controls, it in public mode they are very slow to fill and empty (which does mean that there is minimal turbulence though).
Old 28 June 2018, 21:23   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I wouldn’t let the thought of licks put you off. In my experience lock keepers are very accommodating and will do all they can to help.

You’re not getting away with that just because Willk has decided to head away from the internet for a few days!
Old 28 June 2018, 21:27   #4
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
What a load of old wives tales!! Forget about it all and be ready for a brilliant time.

1. Lock keepers do not open the Lock if you are the only craft waiting. Expectation is that some larger vessel has to come for the Lock to open.
Never happened to me in 17 years.

2. Strong currents from side vent water flow.
Yes but never more than any other lock.

3. Larger vessel skippers being inexperienced and banging into smaller ones.
Happens no more than anywhere else.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10407101_954399514581316_3674346402862757259_n.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	125542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magna Carta 800th Boating Parade Gloriana 13-14 June 15 Photo 89.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	125543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magna Carta 800th Boating Parade Gloriana 13-14 June 15 Photo 3.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	125544   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010015.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	125545   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170402_160111.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	125546  

Old 29 June 2018, 19:29   #5

Town: High wycombe
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 40hp 4stroke
Be sensible and polite to other boats and loch keepers, don’t speed and you will be fine.

There is nothing to worry about, I do get your nervousness about navigating through the loch’s but once you have been through 1or 2 you’ll be doing it without thinking.

Generally in the summer we have found there are loch keepers on duty most or the time apart from between 1 and 2pm so that is when we stop for a picnic etc.

Don’t forget you will need a licence - all loch keepers will check you have one if it is not on display.

Have fun!!
Old 30 June 2018, 05:54   #6

Town: hampshire
Length: 7m +
Went all the way from Standlake/Eynsham (near Oxford) to Marlow last summer with friends in a 3.5m sib, had a great time. No problems with locks and were generally manned depending on time of day. As above, don't forget your licence (it will get checked along the way), didn't particularly notice anyone being particularly worried about speed as long as you don't abuse it, watch your wash though. We did it at Henley regatta time which was fun (in a nice way). Side vents no particular problem unless you are doing it when the river is in full flood in the winter, otherwise no worse than any other river. We're doing the rest of the way down to Greenwich this summer. Have fun!

Tags
sib