Old 18 March 2017, 18:43   #1

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Sibbing in the Teignmouth area.

I've had several nibbles at Teignmouth area info in other threads but it's where we're staying for two weeks sibbing this July so as well as specific questions I have any additional info on the area very welcome and I'll keep it in this thread.

We will be based near the church in Shaldon and as far as possible had hoped to use the small slipway at the end of The Strand by trollying the SIB down on its transom wheels.

This slip...

https://goo.gl/maps/StxUM1aC9X12

However just received the tide tables for our two weeks there and timings are rubbish for us with the high tides mostly early am or teatime onwards.

So the first thing I've asked a couple of folks who know the area if once dried it's mud or harder sand/gravel/sheels like it is further along at The Salty. Knowing we could easily pull across harder ground to the slip would be a great help... but if it's mud then plan B.

Plan B is car topping and using Poly Steps across the estuary.

So if anyone knows for sure at that specific Shaldon slip location how it dries all extra info helps.

It's been mentioned there is a slip that's quieter than Poly Steps and with adj parking... I think I've found it here...

https://goo.gl/maps/sFgNKiQ1UF72

I've visited the Harbour website and read all about the Teign entrance which I understand runs quite hard and can become dangerous on the ebb with an easterly. If that happens when already out what is the backup option?

I reckon we will be best turning south for days out with Berry Head nr Brixham the limit of our range. Must be plenty of scope around the Torbay area.

But would anyone think we are missing anything by not heading north?

It looks like many beaches from Teignmouth to Torbay have landing restricted to "traffic lanes"... any of them the best for SIBs to land?

Any thoughts much appreciated.
Old 18 March 2017, 19:29   #2

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Hi Fenlander,
Shaldon's my home village - welcome to it - it's a great place to explore from - including up river on a rising tide. Whatever you do though, do not confuse Shaldon with Ringmore - they are diffferent places!, especaillyto Ringmore dwellers

The first slip ie the Stand at Ringmore narrow lane and v. tight access to Ringmore Road. I think the ground is hard mud, but I've never used it.

In Shaldon, off Riverside, by the Clipper cafe there's also a slip with hard sand. Parking in Shaldon or Ringmore is a nightmare and very limited.

Coombe Cellars further up river is a possibility as well

The tide runs fast in the river, but is OK for powered craft - but the mouth is dangerous in an Easterly. Pole Sand - the shifting sandbank is unpredicatable.

The nearest safe haven in a strong Easterly would be Torquay if you are already out., In those conditions I'd not look to go out from the Teign- maybe explore up river or take the boat to the Exe or Dart for the day on either of those rivers.

With a sib there are losts of beaches & coves to explore towards Torquay, Labrador, Babbacome, Anstey's Cove etc... and Torbay itself East there's not too much until Exmouth, but some nice coastline.

I'm sure the local Teignmouth Ribbers will give more upto date or better advice.

Enjoy the holiday in the summer.

LT
Old 18 March 2017, 21:49   #3

Thanks Lakeland. Seems we may be temp Ringmore residents in July... not the wrong side of the tracks I hope? Thankfully we have two parking spaces... for car and setup boat.
Old 18 March 2017, 22:07   #4

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Useful-ish guide here http://m.teignbridge.gov.uk/article/...Users-Guidance and download at the bottom of the page.

I've dug bait on The Salty on the west side of the bridge and did that in wellies, it was a bit muddy but not the stuff you get stuck in. I was actually looking for the mud due to the bait purpose but have gone to fish at low water under the bridge with no problems. Think I was wearing a Timberland type boot so can't of been terrible.

Not that helpful.. my gut feeling is that low water won't be ideal but you could pick and choose your route and trundle your way home if needs be

Perhaps ring the chandlery next to the second 'in town' slip and ask them about access/permission http://www.seaquestmarine.co.uk

Agreed with LT Easterly = bad, go play on a river if that occurs and also agreed turning right out of the Teign there's more to see with several destinations. I found some races around Thatcher's Rock before Torbay, mild by Scottish comparison I'm sure but caution there, I went through but kept up a brisk pace to clear quickly

If you do fancy the Exe it's lovely once in but get your timing right with the tides, it comes out at a fair old whack. Depths won't effect a SIB I don't think but there's good info online about the entrance for yachties. In the Exe if the weather's/tides right you'll find sand banks to stop off at for lunch or a break

I'll dig out some info a local character/canoeist friend of mine gave me about Totnes and The River Dart, a great few days can be had pottering around there with stop offs along the way including Dittisham

Teign Estuary Back Beach is nice in the evening for an impromptu BBQ cooking those mackerel that jumped into the boat that very afternoon.. also Ness Beach access via a tunnel can be landed on (channel for watercraft) for a stop off

Looking forward to hearing more from others, one of my fave places to spend time
Old 19 March 2017, 10:12   #5

That guide looks good and as a paper copy on the coffee table can be useful I asked the Harbour Commission to include one when they send my registration... thought I might as well register for just a tenner.

Just as a matter of interest I'm doing my radio exam at SeaSports SW early in the first week we're down.

Slightly muddy but firm underfoot is ok... east coast round here is often sink to your knees sort of stuff.

I'm getting the message... if its forecast a brisk easterly go and do something else... like going to the point by back beach and watch others getting in.

A calm day but I found this Youtube that gives an idea of the flow.

Old 19 March 2017, 10:20   #6

Hi Fenlander,

Drop me a pm with your e-mail and I'll dig out some more local info and options including places to eat / avoid.

Nothing wrong with Ringmore.....just don't call it "Shaldon" to the neighbours

That part of he coast - Exe to Berry Head is very exposed in Easterlies, but prevailing wind is SW, Even Torbay is not sheltered in an Easterly. Exe and Dart are both worth exploring by SIB as is the Teign- and there are various launching points for SIBs on bothother rivers. Watch the tide in the EXe - it turns into more sandbank than river very quickly on the ebb.

LT
Old 19 March 2017, 10:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

A calm day but I found this Youtube that gives an idea of the flow.

I spent my youth racing dinghies with Shaldon Sailing Club - start line was fxed transit from Flagpole in Beachcomber Cafe garden on Shadon beach straight over to the Point marker at Teignmouth......diagonal line straight across the tide race, length of line dependent on the tides, could be starting on a run depending on wind direction.

You could spend a long time fighting the tide to turn around the channel at the top of the Salty to head up to the bridge - you leant very quickly about racing in minimal depths of water and combatting tidal flow.......not so strong on the racing rules but great for learning sailing seamanship.

Nive to now to be 140hp engine and not sail powered

LT
Old 19 March 2017, 15:38   #8

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Hopefully attached is a pic of The Teign at low water West of the bridge (approx 300-400m)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0704 2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	118562  
Old 20 March 2017, 16:39   #9

Town: Exeter
I'd also go to Totnes and head down towards Dartmouth for a pleasant cruise, although there is a speed restriction in place. You can launch from Steamers Quay and park in the car park there.
Brixham has a few good launch slips as well although parking can be restrictive.
I'm thinking from memory that the beach you refer to is quite compact and you wouldn/t get stuck.
I may see you down there. Just purchased a Honwave T40 and now I have to find an engine !
Old 20 March 2017, 21:34   #10

Great photo Yaba... out at sea we only use a small digicam but wandering about the flats and waterside areas gives more scope for using the more bulky main camera so hope to capture some nice images down that way.

TP you will find an OB by July so indeed we might cross paths.
Old 22 March 2017, 17:36   #11

Boat name: pain
Make: c craft
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner, seagull, to
Always wanted to try Teignmouth, maybe this year if I have time, had a look at polly steps a few years back and fair play the tidal flow looked fast by the slip, suppose in an inflatable it's not too much of an issue
Old 24 March 2017, 14:12   #12

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Grey Reef
Make: Smartwave
Engine: Tohatsu MFS20E EPTL
I thought that this was Polly Steps slip, not the link in the OP?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.54...7i13312!8i6656
Old 24 March 2017, 14:23   #13

Yep that's Polly Steps in your link Duggy... my link was for the slip just a few yards trundle from where we'll stay... across the estuary and upstream of Polly Steps. Polly steps will be our backup if "our" little slip is too far from the water at low tide. Won't know that until we get there and watch one cycle of the tide.
Old 27 March 2017, 17:57   #14

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Grey Reef
Make: Smartwave
Engine: Tohatsu MFS20E EPTL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Yep that's Polly Steps in your link Duggy... my link was for the slip just a few yards trundle from where we'll stay... across the estuary and upstream of Polly Steps. Polly steps will be our backup if "our" little slip is too far from the water at low tide. Won't know that until we get there and watch one cycle of the tide.
Ah, gotcha!

I was down there for a few days in October but the weather / water conditions weren't good sadly. Spent 2 days sat in my van with SIB in back in case of miracles. Never happened sadly, I had to make do with a trip on the Severn on the way home to Brum.

Old 27 March 2017, 21:24   #15

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Hi all

If you go to the left as you go into go to polysteps you can launch from there any state of tide

Tags
sib