Old 22 April 2012, 07:24   #41

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Quote:
Avon Skin So Soft, did me well and no hazardous chemicals on the skin, however my o/h advises me that Avon have changed the recepie so can't guarantee it's potency any more.
Avon never did guarantee midge protection with Skin so Soft. All scientific surveys of midge repellants have come to the conclusion that the ONLY thing that actually works is the chemical N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide, known commonly as Deet.

There is apparently a lot of anecdotal evidence of SsS working but this is not the case in any actual scientific studies which show that SsS has no actual effect on the midgies!

When purchasing a midge repellant the higher the Deet content the more effective the product. Personally I also use a 'net' over a brimmed hat. You will see most outdoor workmen, such as BT and the Hydro wearing them when they are working in the 'season' up in the Highlands.

Anyway apart from that, thank you for sharing your trip with us TomKat. If you are up north of Inverness again please let me know and perhaps I can show you a few great SIB areas.

Keith Hart
Old 22 April 2012, 08:15   #42
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Hart View Post
There is apparently a lot of anecdotal evidence of SsS working but this is not the case in any actual scientific studies which show that SsS has no actual effect on the midgies!
Keith - I thought the suggestion was SSS stopped biting rather than repelled them? That may make scientific study harder as getting volunteers to be bitten might be tricky! Certainly my anecdotal evidence of SSS has been that it doesn't repel them but it seems to reduce/stop bites.
Old 22 April 2012, 09:42   #43

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
As far as I understand it some people get bitten more than others (I'm one of those people that the midges love and my wife is one that they avoid!) and the anecdotal evidence of SSS working comes from the category of people that are not naturally attractive to the midgies in any case!

The SSS midgie thing is one of those urban myth memes that has self perpetuated over the past few decades and of course Avon didn't do anything to stop it!

Take a look here, an American point of view but still valid for midgies: snopes.com: Mosquito Repel Lore

As I am out and about regularly up here in the Highlands and particularly on the West Coast believe me I take a great interest in the subject!

Every scientific study says the same - Deet.

But if SSS seems to work for you then I'm sure Avon will keep on selling it and the worst thing that can happen is that you get soft skin.

Keith Hart
Old 22 April 2012, 10:38   #44

Town: Coppull / Lligwy bay.
Boat name: Summer Blues
Make: Ribquest
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 90
MMSI: 235092012
Keith, have you tried sss, just wondering, not been following this topic.
Regards............Shaun...........
Old 22 April 2012, 11:21   #45

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Keith - I thought the suggestion was SSS stopped biting rather than repelled them? That may make scientific study harder as getting volunteers to be bitten might be tricky! Certainly my anecdotal evidence of SSS has been that it doesn't repel them but it seems to reduce/stop bites.
As one is in Argyll reularly and over many years has suffered at the hands of the little bu**ers I will PLUS ONE with you Neil. I think its true to say they do not repell but they certainly do noy bite which is okay by me and my so soft skin!
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2012, 20:43   #46

Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: Twahtzoo 20hp
MMSI: 235906188
another +1 for sss from me. sss is no myth!

Have 'tested' sss every year in the highlands/west coast vigorously since it first came out. Huge black clouds of them on Rannoch Moor included. It in NO WAY repels the midgies - as already mentioned - but they simply cannot bite once they land on it, you can watch them, they go upside down and all sorts of weird stuff. I have looked at this scientifically, as i am a scientist. If you have a layer of SsS on - they can't bite you, if you dont - they can. I dont know about the latest change in recipe but the old stuff provides a physical barrier on the skin.

I dont go anywhere without my very valuable midgie net though. Basically all you need for camping in Scotland plus, obviously, a full bottle of Isley firewater.
Old 23 April 2012, 20:59   #47

Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: Twahtzoo 20hp
MMSI: 235906188
Here is a pic from our field testing of skin so soft in rannoch moor in aug 2008.

This is photo of an uncovered arm, around 10minutes exposure = over 200 bites on one arm.

The other arm, covered in sss, showed no new bites, ZERO new bites. none. impressive.

Also a pic of our grill showing that heat and smoke didnt really deter them either. Only things i know that actually deter them are Deet and wind (not farty pops).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mijtest.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	67451   Click image for larger version

Name:	mijdeath.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	67452  
Old 23 April 2012, 21:06   #48

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
In my younger days I used to follow the British rally championship and can remember spectators having to leave a stage in the Galloway forest due to the midges
Old 23 April 2012, 21:55   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
In my younger days I used to follow the British rally championship and can remember spectators having to leave a stage in the Galloway forest due to the midges
Yup....the notorious Glentrool midges are some of the worst I have ever encountered. :\ The late cold snap this year should help keep the numbers down though I believe.
Old 23 April 2012, 22:02   #50

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooglewoogle View Post
Yup....the notorious Glentrool midges are some of the worst I have ever encountered. :\ The late cold snap this year should help keep the numbers down though I believe.
That's the one
Old 24 April 2012, 07:27   #51

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
well gents, the good news for me at least is bought a box of SSS 2 years ago i.e. 24 bottles so i am looking forward to bite free and very soft skin when I go to portavadie for 2 weeks starting this saturday.

Dave
Old 24 April 2012, 09:55   #52

Town: livingston
Boat name: the massive
Make: valiant
Engine: honda BF115
MMSI: 235092322
RIBase
The worst area for me was at the top of loch etive when doing the safety boat for the 70 wild miles. Walking up and down the road at a fast pace whilst eating my cereal to keep the little bandits behind me. I swear they even have patrols over the loch as every time we stopped within 100 m of the shore we were mauled. Tried asss but I still hate them around me so go for deet and its a winner.
Old 24 April 2012, 10:40   #53

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooglewoogle View Post
....The late cold snap this year should help keep the numbers down though I believe.
Ha! yer reckon? These are Scottish midgies not any old midgies. They're here already and I'm on the east coast.
Any of the Autan insect repellent products work well, they smell ok and don't stink, are available in most chemists and rubber neck shops, roll on, spray and cream so you have a choice. Boots do their own brand which smells the same, feels the same and works the same. On the west coast or highlands with no wind - sun or rain there will be midgies. Hot sun keeps them down though, but this is Scotland... If there's a breeze they can't cope, unfortunately it's surprising how often it is calm. As Keith said, an anti-midge net for your face is good but they spoil your vision and midgies don't only land on your face.

Don't underestimate the midge, they can seriously spoil your holiday and make you not come back. I've even had them come and find us on the boat a mile offshore when anchored. But I've also had clouds of them vanish inexplicably, oh the relief, kinda like banging your head against a brick wall...it's good when it stops.

Some folk have a bad reaction to the bites, swelling is common, especially around the eyes and anti-histamine tablets can work wonders. If you are one of these folk, carry Anthisan cream with you as well as repellent and apply it asap.

The folk who say Scottish midges are not a problem obviously don't taste good.
Old 24 April 2012, 10:42   #54

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack101 View Post
The worst area for me was at the top of loch etive ...
Yeh, the Etive midge is a big bugr.
Old 24 April 2012, 11:00   #55

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack101 View Post
The worst area for me was at the top of loch etive when doing the safety boat for the 70 wild miles. Walking up and down the road at a fast pace whilst eating my cereal to keep the little bandits behind me. I swear they even have patrols over the loch as every time we stopped within 100 m of the shore we were mauled. Tried asss but I still hate them around me so go for deet and its a winner.
I,m one of those poor souls that attract every insect for miles around must be something in my rich blood that they love

We are on the west coast in August near Oban and i,m wondering what the hell i have let myself in for, so if you see a 6'3" bloke walking around in a Black Shadow dry suite and a Greco helmet on with the visor pulled down in the middle of town feel free to say hello
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2012, 11:09   #56

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post
I,m one of those poor souls that attract every insect for miles around must be something in my rich blood that they love

We are on the west coast in August near Oban and i,m wondering what the hell i have let myself in for, so if you see a 6'3" bloke walking around in a Black Shadow dry suite and a Greco helmet on with the visor pulled down in the middle of town feel free to say hello
Ah JW walks on the darkside You just have to think positve if you are one like me that attracts them, then prepare and think HAPPY. Its a no brainer they will appear at sometime but to be honest that has not been to often in the last four years in southern Argyll, my body bears testiment to that!
But dont worry TT the Midge SAS has been in training especially for YOU for months
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2012, 11:58   #57

Town: Glasgow
I used to have a net hood that had a clear plastic panel so it was easier to see through than just a net hood on it's own. Sadly the shop I bought it from is no-more and the nearest I've found to replace it is this: Midge Net Hat

Has anyone tried smidge anti midge lotion?