Old 24 May 2018, 13:35   #1

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Sibbing in Fowey.

We're off to Fowey for two weeks mid June and wondered if anyone local or who knows the area has any tips...

Places to eat... or not to eat... non-boating attractions to visit... boating beaches/places to visit within easy sibbing distance (holiday remember, not an expedition) etc.

We have sorted out launching (Caffa Mill) and will be moored all week on the Fowey side, have the harbour licence, car park month's pass and sorted where we'll supermarket shop.

Any extra info appreciated.
Old 25 May 2018, 14:48   #2

I’m not big on thread bumping but perhaps some folks with a raft of Fowey info missed this first time?
Old 25 May 2018, 16:18   #3

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
I've stopped in Fowey several times in the sailing yacht, and have always found the Fowey Gallants Sailing Club to be very friendly. Has a nice bar overlooking the river, the food was simple but reasonably priced, has showers, etc.

We've explored partly up the river past the china clay port, but in a SIB presumably you might make it all the way to Lostwithiel?

I don't know what you consider easy subbing distance, but I'd certainly be exploring up all the creeks in Fowey, and the coves at the harbour entrance with the castle, etc.

Polridmouth Cove and Lantic Bay just outside the harbour I've sailed past but never stopped in either, ideal to visit in a SIB I guess? Is Polperro or Mevagissey too far? I've always wanted to stop at those in the sailing yacht, but never quite gone past at the right time of tide yet to dry out in the little harbours there.
Old 25 May 2018, 20:02   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Hi Fenlander Lantic bay, or if you want some real peace and quiet go to the small beach in the next bay round-or go the other way to Polridmouth. There's quite a nice small beach at the harbour mouth when the tide is out, but be aware it's no swimming.

Fishing on Udder Rock isn't bad either-or look for the gaggle of private fishing boats a mile or so outside the harbour and drop a frozen sandeel to the bottom (It'll be about 100' deep) to pull in some rather nice Whiting.

Charlestown is worth a visit.

Try the cafe up at Mixtow Pill on weekend evenings-or daytimes during the week. You may have to book for the evenings as they get busy.

The open fronted chippy in Looe is well worth a visit too.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 22:43   #5

Thanks guys.

I guess Gorran Haven to the West and Looe to the East would likely to be our range of operation... either is about an hour back to Fowey at displacement/just planning speeds if the weather turns. Given we always need to be "home in time for tea" or thereabouts that's a safe and sensible range for holidaying.

Fowey entrance looks mild in most weathers so home is a safe haven.... unlike Teignmouth entrance last year where nearly home could be the challenging part.

Fowey Gallants looks good for eating but not sure they would sign us in with a PVC inflatable and OB!

Lantic and Polridmouth look good for a sib visit.

We are staying near the Fowey side of the Bodinnick ferry so Mixtow Pill is minutes away by SIB... do you mean portacabin style Quay Café at the bottom of the boat park?
Old 26 May 2018, 07:46   #6

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Friend of mine moved to Gorran Haven a couple of years ago.
Small village, couple of eateries & shops with sandy bay which is the harbour.
Village website: Gorran Haven | A true 'haven' on the South coast of Cornwall
I've not taken a boat into it & neither has he although he has a very nice Norfolk Gypsy which he keeps at Pascos boatyard, Falmouth.
Old 26 May 2018, 08:46   #7

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Fenlander - you might be surprised at Fowey Gallants, I've visited a few times for various things, and they seem super friendly towards any form of boater. They do lots of dinghy sailing, kayaking, etc., so well setup for smaller boaters, and as far as I can work out, happy to help any visiting boaters.

The Royal Fowey YC at the other end of town has the slightly snootier Yacht Club reputation, and might not be quite as used to a damp SIBster turning up at the front door.

I'm sure you'll have a great time down there, I love it along that part of the coast.
Old 26 May 2018, 11:54   #8
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Given half decent conditions then Mevagissey is well within reach in an Aerotec and has a good sheltered harbour.

Up river to Lostwithiel or Leryn is a very good sheltered scenic trip, but watch the tides as it does get very shallow!
Old 26 May 2018, 13:45   #9

>>>watch the tides as it does get very shallow!

Yep in fact I hate shallow water & mud. Only takes the slightest change in the tide to get the skeg dug in and ultimately someone getting out to lighten the load and push. Happier on larger craft that are designed to take the ground in that circumstance as you can at least wait it out with "facilities".

Mevagissey looks good if only for a scenic image.
Old 27 May 2018, 06:11   #10

Town: St Austell
Boat name: On Site
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 100hp outboard
RIBase
I launch my rib out of Gorran Haven. Safe visit on anything but an Easterly wind. 20 -25 minutes from Fowey at 20 mph. The Gwineas rock a mile off Gorran has a colony of seals, worth a look but approach from the North side.

Lostwithiel and Lerryn are great on a bigger rising tide. Just keep an eye out for the channel as you get further up.
Old 27 May 2018, 08:04   #11

Thanks for that CC.

We will try and avoid travelling your way in anything more than a very modest easterly as the trip back could be wearing.

If we were to village/beach hop for a scenic trip rather than cutting across straight from Fowey to Gorran Haven do any of the headlands produce difficult conditions in any circumstances?
Old 27 May 2018, 09:09   #12

RIBase
Not really. It’s a lovely cruise. Only Cannis rock as you exit Fowey to note off Gribbon point. But you can either hug the coast or go around the marker buoy. Keep an eye out for Dolphins as we seen quite a few recently.
Old 27 May 2018, 09:10   #13

RIBase
Oh and our local village shop / cafe called Cakebreads do an amazing all day breakfast.
Old 27 May 2018, 09:25   #14

Make: F-rib
Engine: Mariner 15HP
Hi Fenlander, can't give you much from a seafaring pov as we don't have ours yet, but spend a lot of time in that neck of the woods. for a short, find your feet excursion I would have thought Polridmouth a few miles West would be good, really nice sheltered bay, limited vehiclular access, I've only walked there so may not be to busy, like all these inlets there are a lots of rocks around so would need to have a good look around.

Other place I would suggest is Talland Bay to the east near Looe. This is one of our favourite haunts when we are down there. Single track road in and a lovely cafe on the westerly beach and a farm cafe on the hill over the eastern beach.

Again quite rocky but with sand underneath, seen a lot of fishing kayaks go from there but no boats so not sure what the bottom is like, but casting out into the main channels from the east and western beaches I haven't found snags so could be Ok.

This is me fishing from the eastern beach of Talland Bay earlier this year 😊

Cheers,

MM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-04 14.47.45 (Custom).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	124948  
Old 29 May 2018, 07:34   #15
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Fowey Gallants looks good for eating but not sure they would sign us in with a PVC inflatable and OB!

Lantic and Polridmouth look good for a sib visit.

We are staying near the Fowey side of the Bodinnick ferry so Mixtow Pill is minutes away by SIB... do you mean portacabin style Quay Café at the bottom of the boat park?
The Gallants aren't snobs

Yes, the Quay Cafe.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 June 2018, 22:43   #16

Town: Fulham
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
If you are in Lostwithiel, remember if you have any issues the boat reglue workshop is there!
Old 04 June 2018, 23:14   #17

Oh yes... who'd have though it in such a small place... Liferafts and Inflatables . Thanks for that although I hope not to be calling on them!

Anyone know what's what with the Polperro harbour storm gate... wonder how you know if it might be open?
Old 05 June 2018, 14:07   #18

Another passage related thing... I was flicking through Reeds Almanac and noticed they report a gunnery range off Gribbin Head just outside Fowey to the West... really? That would be a fascinating extra challenge. Assume it's further out to sea... they're surely not taking pot shots at beer cans on the rocks??
Old 05 June 2018, 21:20   #19

RIBase
They do it off the Dobman Point. You she the ships in the distance occasionally, but you can’t see anything. Just hear really loud booms. It’s not a daily thing and nothing to see tbh.
Old 05 June 2018, 21:59   #20

Ok tin hats not needed then... thanks.

Tags
sib