Old 23 May 2018, 14:55   #1

Town: SIDMOUTH
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 2 Stroke 20hp
Sib with 20hp

Hi all I have bought a second hand sib with a Honda 20hp outboard, it starts without problem every time but when Iím on full throttle it sounds like itís been knocked into neutral and revs high, as soon as I ease of the gas it recovers and is fine but I canít run at full speed as it keeps doing this .....any ideas ?? Thanks

Old 23 May 2018, 15:08   #2

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mariner 9.9 2018
Which Honwave did you get?

BTW no need to ask the same question in two places as it confuses which thread to answer.

Old 23 May 2018, 15:16   #3

Oh I’m sorry I’m new so forgive me...it’s a 3.5m with 20hp Honda
Old 23 May 2018, 15:19   #4

Hey it's fine... no way of saying without it sounding like a grumble but it does help if all replies are together. In the other thread Poly has wondered about a slipping prop hub. Another possibility is it is an effect you can get with SIBs if they are underinflated particularly the keel (I assume you have the alloy floor model with sausage keel under?).

Even when everything is spot on certain OB and SIB combos with certain loading balances in certain sea states can do this due to the prop losing its grip.

This happens with SIBs due to the flexible nature of the hull.
Old 23 May 2018, 15:28   #5

That’s really kind I will check all the pressures and see if this helps I will also get the prop slip checked ...they both sound sound advice and thanks so much
Old 23 May 2018, 20:03   #6

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
Sib with 20hp

Your cavatating, try moving your position in the boat to balance the weight, as above if it's a V floor this is one draw back of the v floors
Old 23 May 2018, 23:59   #7

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Based on the limited information, my first thought is that once the engine reaches a critical speed, the prop is sucking in air, meeting less resistance, and therefore allowing the engine to spin faster. I had this on my 9.9 when I tried a different tilt setting as an experiment.

This sounds more likely than a mechanical problem with the engine.

Try the tilt one notch lower and if that doesn't work, try 1 notch higher.

It may also be the trim of the boat. Where you sit, and where you put any heavy kit can affect the trim, raising or lowering the transom by an inch or two.
Old 24 May 2018, 03:38   #8

>>>Your cavatating, try moving your position in the boat to balance the weight...

Cavitation is often spoken of in these situations but it's not the correct term... no big deal though as we all know what someone is trying to describe. Cavitation is a sort of boiling of the water adj the blade surfaces usually due to prop damage or the wrong prop for the boat. It can be felt as a vibration and can eat the paint and prop surface away with pitting.

If it's not hub slip but the prop taking air as Mike describes it's called Ventilation. This can be due to the wrong OB height or trim and in hard boats set up correctly is only usually found on tight turns. But as I explained above the flexible nature of SIBs can (can, not will) trigger this far more easily if some set up factor is wrong... or just down to a particular type that is very prone.

>>>if it's a V floor this is one draw back of the v floors

No that's totally wrong... it has nothing to do with V floors.

The most prone SIB design to triggering ventilation is the flat air floor with a low pressure sausage keel. In certain makes/setups it's really hard to stop this happening.

Better but the next most prone are the shallow V air floors like Honwave (and your Waveline Lee). Usually but not always the longer the model the more likely the problem can be.

Less prone to ventilation is a well set up alloy floor SIB with low pressure sausage keel.... like the OPs... and that's why I think we can quite easily talk him through sorting it.

The SIB very least prone to ventilation is the Aerotec as it is a true V hull for its whole length which by its design doesn't trap dollops of air under the hull. In all Nm we have covered at sea in our Aerotecs ventilation and the associated prop slip has never been an issue.
Old 24 May 2018, 13:34   #9

Hi thanks for This I have looked at the prop today and the castle nut was loose enough for me to turn with my hand ! I wonder how much to tighten and see if this helps as well as the other suggestions . I will also look at the outboard angle as it’s currently set on the pin nearest the boat
Old 24 May 2018, 14:35   #10

Obviously good to tighten the prop nut correctly... to lose the prop would be most unfortunate! But as it's on a spline it won't help the "spinning" effect.

Yep try all the things we've advised and I hope you can report a cure.

Tags
sib