Old 25 May 2018, 09:31   #21

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>I just about fit a 2.7 sib with a 7.5 and 20hp outboard, fuel tank, life jackets, gear for a beach day etc in a freelender with the rear seats down!

Ah well you need to up your packing skills. The image below is us just back from Scotland.

Three people plus dog in car with just the smaller of the folding seats down.

Inside... 3.4m Zodiac, 3.8m Bombard, 15hp Mercury, two sets large transom wheels, 25l tank & 2x 12l tanks, 3 dry bags with kit, 4 lifejackets, all seagoing boating kit, two weeks of holiday clothes... and a second Bombard 3.8 on the roof.

Tight... but doable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW loaded.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	124939  
Old 25 May 2018, 09:53   #22

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>I just about fit a 2.7 sib with a 7.5 and 20hp outboard, fuel tank, life jackets, gear for a beach day etc in a freelender with the rear seats down!

Ah well you need to up your packing skills. The image below is us just back from Scotland.

Three people plus dog in car with just the smaller of the folding seats down.

Inside... 3.4m Zodiac, 3.8m Bombard, 15hp Mercury, two sets large transom wheels, 25l tank & 2x 12l tanks, 3 dry bags with kit, 4 lifejackets, all seagoing boating kit, two weeks of holiday clothes... and a second Bombard 3.8 on the roof.

Tight... but doable.

[emoji50] amazing packing skills [emoji1303]
Old 25 May 2018, 11:59   #23

I know. My late and much missed father in law always said "He should have been in the military"... ha ha.
Old 25 May 2018, 15:18   #24

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1 View Post
So anything under 3.2 is not a true SIB?

No I disagree, a SIB is a boat that is brought and chosen because it folds up for vehicle transportation, the most common sizes used are 2.7-3.2 of course many use 3.4-4.2 meter as well as many use 2.4mtrs but the bigger 3.2 plus require bigger engines and the set up will then only fit in larger vehicles.

This thread is about helping the guy sort out his suspected cavitation, my points and suggestions are valid and correct, no 100% right suggestions can be provided without pictures of the actual engine!

And on the flexing issue here's a 3.2 metre flexing nicely:

That looks like a 20hp? Far bigger than that boat is rated for. (About twice as big)
Old 25 May 2018, 20:23   #25

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
You can put a sib in a lot of places you could not put a rib plus fuel consumption goes up quite a bit we did round mull with less than 30lts fuel try that in a rib [emoji6]
Old 26 May 2018, 07:41   #26

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
You can put a sib in a lot of places you could not put a rib plus fuel consumption goes up quite a bit we did round mull with less than 30lts fuel try that in a rib [emoji6]
While packing a sib away will always need less space than a sib i dont agree with your comment re consumption, a rib of similar size will usually be more efficient with less drag than an equivalent sib . Ribs are usualy faster for a given hp and usualy give a more comfortable ride.
Nothing wrong with sibs but a similarly sized rib does give significant advantages over a sib
Old 26 May 2018, 09:26   #27

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1 View Post
So anything under 3.2 is not a true SIB?

No I disagree, a SIB is a boat that is brought and chosen because it folds up for vehicle transportation, the most common sizes used are 2.7-3.2 of course many use 3.4-4.2 meter as well as many use 2.4mtrs but the bigger 3.2 plus require bigger engines and the set up will then only fit in larger vehicles.

This thread is about helping the guy sort out his suspected cavitation, my points and suggestions are valid and correct, no 100% right suggestions can be provided without pictures of the actual engine!

And on the flexing issue here's a 3.2 metre flexing nicely:

Hi lee

Waffleing is what your doing .i transport my 3.5 Honewave 20 hp and kit in a 106 peugeot.
Old 26 May 2018, 10:23   #28

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave3235 View Post
Hi lee

Waffleing is what your doing .i transport my 3.5 Honewave 20 hp and kit in a 106 peugeot.

Nah nah, you forget he transports it in an old Freelander, the boot will be full of spares for when it breaks down, with minimal room left for anything else .... 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Old 26 May 2018, 12:23   #29

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
While packing a sib away will always need less space than a sib i dont agree with your comment re consumption, a rib of similar size will usually be more efficient with less drag than an equivalent sib . Ribs are usualy faster for a given hp and usualy give a more comfortable ride.
Nothing wrong with sibs but a similarly sized rib does give significant advantages over a sib
I don't have the figures but I suspect a RIB is more fuel efficient on the plane and the SIB possibly more fuel efficient at displacement speeds. I could be wrong.

However, for me, the big advantages of the SIB are:

1) For the large part of the year when you're not using it, it can be stored without a trailer.

2) For the small part of the year when you are using it, it is less likely to be damaged if it comes into contact with rocks, stony beach etc.

People choose SIBs of a wide range of reasons, not just putting them in the car boot. Personally, apart from the convenience of storage, and that I don't need a trailer, I think SIBs have a charm that RIBs lack. I've had great adventures on RIBs, but I've done more exploring of tiny backwaters and coves in SIBs. But that's me. I'm the sort of person who would always choose the tiller-steered boat in preference to the one with a console and a wheel, not because it's better, but just because...
Old 26 May 2018, 13:28   #30

I am reminded by Firstrib posting today that when he started his SIB packing was an Aerotec 3.8m plus 25hp Mercury, tank, transom wheels etc all in the back of an original shape Ford Ka.

Of course if anyone's got that lot in the basket of a butcher's bike they will have my ultimate admiration.
Old 26 May 2018, 13:56   #31

Town: SIDMOUTH
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honda
Engine: Honda 2 Stroke 20hp
Hi another question. The engine tilt system isn’t working correctly I have to put my hand in to get the bar to rest in the various grooves ,not ideal in a rough sea ! Is this a simple fix of a new spring and is it something I could fix myself ?
Old 26 May 2018, 16:32   #32

It is very often as simple as a lack of lubrication on the pivots stopping the spring pulling the mechanism into position.

On my Suzuki from new the supplying dealer forgot to lubricate this and it was totally dry. Had I not noticed I reckon in a couple of years with salt water use I would have been suffering your problem. Of course your spring could be broken or missing... actually I'm not familiar with the mechanism on your motor... could it rely on gravity for the tilt to fall into the various slots?? If so free pivots would be even morre critical.

Edit... seems you do have a spring... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tilt-Link...4383.l4275.c10
Old 26 May 2018, 17:28   #33

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Agree with fenlander spray with wd40 to release then grease up mine sticks on shallow drive
Old 26 May 2018, 17:33   #34

Forgive me if this obvious but... take massive care when lubricating if the tilt is erratic and keep fingers out. The weight of the OB dropping unexpectedly from tilt to run is enough to take a finger off.
Old 30 May 2018, 14:30   #35

Town: SIDMOUTH
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honda
Engine: Honda 2 Stroke 20hp
Thanks for the help looks like a new prop as marked the hub and prop Andy after use the two marks were in different places so must have slipped !

Tags
sib