Old 06 September 2009, 21:02   #1

Town: Hampshire
Length: 3m +
SIB versus RIB?

I have a 3.4 airfloor SIB (zodiac) and love it. However even in a moderate chop (which seems all the time this summer!) the ride is very bumpy and uncomfortable. How would a RIB of the same size with a decent V hull compare?
Also would my Tohatsu 9.8 get a 3.4 rib on plane?

Cheers
Flyguy
Old 06 September 2009, 21:19   #2

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
I have the same problem cant wait to get a rib.
Old 07 September 2009, 12:42   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Finding a rib that small may be your first problem!

Avon do a boat which is essentially a fibreglass floored version of a SIB, (I forget it's "Sunday name") but it is a very shallow V and so if you want to move up because of the ride, you ain't going to see much of an improvement.

Your'e realistically looking at something aorund the 4m mark, and a 9.9 will be hard pushed to get that on the plane. But then if you were trading up your'e likely going to get a better sale with a "ready to go" package?

The other one to look at is the Aquaquad - it's about 3 & a bit M, and on paper should go OK with the 9.9. Never used one so can't comment on it's handling.

(Cue 2 dozen posts pointing out the new ACME 3.4M rib.......)
Old 08 September 2009, 11:42   #4

Length: 7m +
If you look here for example you'll find a number of small RIBs, including Avon Rover Lite, Zodiac, Bombard and Valiant.

http://www.ronhalemarine.co.uk/super...oats_&_RIB%27s

There are a lot at 3m or 3.1m, not so many at 3.4 as you're after. For reference I have a Zodiac 3.1m, and 6HP gets it on the plane easily with one but only just with two aboard.

All the small RIBs that I looked at had very shallow V hulls, so may not help much with the ride in a chop.
Old 10 September 2009, 08:49   #5

Looks like I'll have to look at standard boats in the 15ft range?
Old 10 September 2009, 13:19   #6

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
What sort of applications will you be using your boat for, and in what types of water conditions? How severe will the demands on it be? If you want something very versatile that can handle the choppy conditions of larger bodies of water, yet still be able to run up rapid strewn rivers, a 14' -17' SIB with a hard floor (trailered) should do that nicely. If you go with a cat hulled SIB, there will be a night & day difference in how well it is able to handle the chop, as compared to a conventional SIB.
Old 10 September 2009, 14:30   #7

I just want something that I can self-launch and recover that can handle a moderate chop. Something that can cut through this without bouncing me around too much yet has a shallow enough draft that I can fish shallow reefs. Cost will also be a factor so if a RIB is twice as expensive as a normal boat then I'll go for a boat. Probably similar to this:

http://www.seaswift.co.uk/seaswift500.htm

Unfortunately in the UK we don't get the choice of centre console bay boats that they get in the US and Oz.
Old 10 September 2009, 15:27   #8

Town: Oakland CA
There are plenty of smallish RIB's around; mostly sold as tenders for large motor or sail boats.

The uses you described would be suited by nearly any RIB, but you also need to think about how many people you're going to want to have on board, how far you're going to run, and what kind of weather you expect to run into.

Larger is generally more capable (all other things being equal; you may wish to change the word "capable" to "Comfortable"), but that's offset by cost of purchase, cost of running, storage considerations, and the like.

jky
Old 10 September 2009, 16:07   #9

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
I have a 3.4 airfloor SIB (zodiac) and love it. However even in a moderate chop (which seems all the time this summer!) the ride is very bumpy and uncomfortable. How would a RIB of the same size with a decent V hull compare?
Also would my Tohatsu 9.8 get a 3.4 rib on plane?
I would suggest you try and find something akin to a Quicksilver 3.8m Heavy Duty.

Your 9.8 will work ok (max is 25HP on most this size) but the difference in ride comfort and confidence factor over an airdeck will be noticeable.

You might even be able to convert your Zodiac?
Old 10 September 2009, 19:03   #10

Town: tununak
Boat name: fv ravin madd
Make: achillis & avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboards
small rib,s

I have a 310 aquillis rib and its rated for a 15 hp I have a 9.8 tohotsu and its just not that much power I going for a used yahaha 20hp then it may wake up a bit get a 12 or 14 ft rib wit 30hp and live regards
Old 10 September 2009, 20:25   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
I just want something that I can self-launch and recover that can handle a moderate chop. Something that can cut through this without bouncing me around too much yet has a shallow enough draft that I can fish shallow reefs. Cost will also be a factor so if a RIB is twice as expensive as a normal boat then I'll go for a boat. Probably similar to this:

http://www.seaswift.co.uk/seaswift500.htm

Unfortunately in the UK we don't get the choice of centre console bay boats that they get in the US and Oz.
Flyguy, I'm going to do what I hate when people on here do - and suggest my own brand of boat! I'll not make any claims that it is perfect, or ideal for what you want (only you can decide that) or that it is the best boat and you shouldn't consider any others. But it strikes me that you are open minded enough to consider boats that are not ribs/sibs. You are working to a budget. You like fishing - whilst I have never heard of anyone hook a tube: hooks, knifes, blood & guts, and the storage space for all your kit - is not ideal on a small sib/rib.

I'm not sure what you consider to be a "moderate chop". I'm guessing you don't mean a "moderate sea state" within the official definition (1.25-2.5m waves) as I can't imagine that being very pleasant or comfortable in any small boat (regardless of hull form). But I suppose that also depends what you define as comfortable!

So my suggestion is you see if you can get a trial in something like this in the sort of conditions you dislike at present.
[YOUTUBE]SpHvgM4eS9E[/YOUTUBE] (if you are going to be up here at all you are welcome to try mine)

For less than the cost of a RIB it brings many of the benefits of a RIB with some of its own (more storage, essentially puncture proof, easily rinsed down from blood and guts, more seating for passengers without being perched on a bouncy tube.

There are other brands offering similar concepts.
Old 15 October 2009, 13:33   #12

Town: South coast
Boat name: 3.5M
Make: Honda T35-AE2
Engine: outboard 15hp
Honda

Have a look at the Aluminium floored honda theT35-AE2 seem very good ride to me. try www.honda.co.uk You can launch with wheels incl motor by one person.