Old 10 April 2006, 21:06   #1

Town: NC
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30
SIB Surfing

New to the site- great site!
I recently purchased an Avon 4.5 SIB with a 30 hp Nissan. Plan to use it on the NC Coast. I read a post recently about "SIB Surfing". I know the RIB's can take rough water, but what are the SIB's capable of. Want to have fun, but don't want to get in over my head.

Thanks
Old 10 April 2006, 21:39   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Have a look at these - sibs not ribs!!!

http://www.inflatableboats.com.au/hot/ph1.html
Old 10 April 2006, 21:57   #3

Great Shots!

How esay is it to flip a SIB
Old 10 April 2006, 22:12   #4

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
I was asking the same questions a few weeks back .
I have come to the conclusion that my sib is more like a dirt bike . Its a case of what can you and your passenger handle .
I have come back aching from head to toe after my last 2 trips . and my passenger pleading for mercy .

All I can say is those lifeguards must be very agile and fit .

The sib kicks the shit out of you in anything rough . A 2-3ft wind over tide is almost impossible to take at any speed , but a bigger swell is good fun .
Old 11 April 2006, 03:51   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I spent about 3 years diving off a 14' Achilles. Not always in the greatest dive conditions. My general feeling is that the boat will probably take (and handle) a lot more than you or your good sense will.

I've been out in true 10 foot seas (though they were rollers, not breaking waves), and, while I probably would opt not to do that again, the boat handled it without being all that dramatic.

The big problem in a SIB comes, not so much from swell, but rather wind chop; the fast uneven stuff will pound the crap out of you.

jky
Old 11 April 2006, 12:24   #6

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
The big problem in a SIB comes, not so much from swell, but rather wind chop; the fast uneven stuff will pound the crap out of you.
Iam glad someone else has also posted this fact , i was begining to wonder if it was just me or my boat.

I also have to say that having been out alone in some heavy wind the other day the second danger is wind , and I felt this was the most likely thing to flip the boat .
It was feeling like it was trying to take off into a heavy wind blown chop under the Tamar bridge . It was at least a 5 and the wind does funnel up this estuary. I think the same day others said it was up to a 7 in places.
Old 11 April 2006, 17:58   #7

Don't know. I've been out in some pretty stiff breezes (well, stiff for around here); 40 to 50 mph; my SIB never felt like it was on the verge of flipping (though the thought was pretty, uh, prevalent at the time.)

The one time I did think it was going over had to do with a large breaking wave that detected a bit late. Just managed to get the bow into it, power up and chop throttle at the top. Coma from inattention and watching surf pounding on rocks from a wee bit too close (some of you right-side-of-the-Atlantic guys wanted to get some pictures of the conditions there. I think they're all back in school at Edinburgh now.)

Boat seemed pretty stable in wind.

jky
Old 11 April 2006, 18:40   #8

Thanks for info. Whot is the technique for attacking a large wave (other than not broadside!)? Specifically handling power. Sounds like you power into in and reduce as you go over the top. I'm use to a heavier boat where you can usually cut right through. I plan to use this to load up with kids and play in the surf/ocean. Use mostly in fair weather, but you never know when a storm will kick up. OK to scare them a little but don't want to kill them.
Old 11 April 2006, 21:34   #9

Well, if it's big enough that you really need to jockey power, you probably shouldn't be out in it anyway.

That said, I always tried to minimize bow lift over the top. Which mean powering up (which will aid in keeping you straight), then cutting power as you hit the top (which should, assuming you had some headway, help in bringing the nose down the far side.)

Pick your spot, though, as you do not want to do this on a breaking swell (theoretically, it should still work, but you're going to be trying it in a more vertical orientation. I'm not going to try and validate that.)

jky
Old 11 April 2006, 22:04   #10

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki
Pick your spot, though, as you do not want to do this on a breaking swell (theoretically, it should still work, but you're going to be trying it in a more vertical orientation. I'm not going to try and validate that.)

jky
I can validate it, doesn't work too well if it's breaking, especially if the waves are in short (spacing) sets. Was out playing in the waves in a 12 ft. Metzler powered with a 20 hp. Merc years ago, shouldn't have been out at all but was young and stupid at the time, waves were running about 9 to 11 ft. Running into the wind/sea we caught 1,2,3 waves in a row and got the boat into a much too vertical position, tried to power over the last one but the wind at the top took us completely nose over end. Once you flip a soft bottom boat with a inflatable keel forget about righting it. Had to be rescued (towed in) by some guy who was out in scarab. It did not hurt the boat or the motor (had to pump/dry it out) but lost anything that did not float. No more playing in the big stuff with the little boat. Not that you can't, just expect that one is gonna bite you now and then.
Old 18 April 2006, 13:46   #11

Town: Chicago
Boat name: Fat Bastard
Make: Hurricane 440,Mark2C
Engine: Yamaha 50, Nissan 40
Hey JNewton,

I have 12.8ft SIB with a 40hp Nissan/Tohatsu on the back. The thing is an absolute blast to drive in the right conditions probaly only second to a ZapCat. Feels like a little rocket but I am telling you that flipping the thing is only a twist of the wrist away. You learn really fast what you can and can't do with the thing. But if you do take it out in really large stuff have a backup plan. Another boat out there to tow, friends on shore watching. Something. You can catch hudge amounts of air off really small waves. 3-4 footers should do if they are spaced and you have the speed and angle right.

Here's a short of us out.
http://checkerboardhydepark.com/WaveJumping.mov

Rogan
Old 18 April 2006, 19:54   #12

Rogan:

Great Video! Thanks for reply. You're doing about what I was asking. Running and playing in medium size waves. I understand the Zapcat type boats go airborne on almost any type of wave. They have been described to me as like riding on a trampoline. Looks like you have the Futura with the speed tubes, this helps get the the hull off the water. Any experience in a traditional SIB?
Old 26 April 2006, 07:38   #13

Town: Calshot
Length: no boat
Sib in waves

have a look at the photos in here under rnli beach training. think its on www.symages.co.uk /special events/ rnli beach trainning.
Old 26 April 2006, 16:35   #14

Town: NE
Boat name: RedGazelle
Make: Gemini GRX420 SIB
Engine: Mariner 40 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNewton
Great Video! Thanks for reply. You're doing about what I was asking. Running and playing in medium size waves. I understand the Zapcat type boats go airborne on almost any type of wave. They have been described to me as like riding on a trampoline. Looks like you have the Futura with the speed tubes, this helps get the the hull off the water. Any experience in a traditional SIB?
Not sure which avon SIB you have. Some of the avon's I have used in the past have been extremely capable in the surf, others seem quite flexible and seem to flop over the wave (almost to the point that you think that they may fold in half!), still good fun though.

I guess you will have to find out the capabilities for yourself, bit by bit. I would reitterate that wind is often what catches people out. SIBs tend to be very stern heavy (particularly when singlehanded) and so it is possible to get the bow very high in the air from only the smallest takeoff into a head wind. 30kts into a f4 wind gives more than enough lift to scare you silly and seveley bruise your crew on landing (ride is far softer for the helm). Make sure that engine is screwed on well!

Bow ballast (drybags filled with water are good) and engine trimming help reduce this and give you a smoother, faster ride.

I have most fun on days when wind is blowing against the prevailing wave direction (not often I admit), least fun in a wind driven short chop.

Ed

« Which Sib | Top | SIB Seats »